PDA

View Full Version : PowerTab

Schooligo
11-28-2002, 07:45 AM
1st- I want you to know, that it is an HONOR to be part of your Forums, this website has been a great source of musical Guitar education for me!!!
You've introduced me to a software editor by the name of PowerTab, & I have installed it. I also have researched how to do several actions, however I still have a few questions I hope you can help me with, since I'm not quite as familiar with this product as I'm sure musicians who use this software frequently are.
I'm particularly interested in being able to as much as possible manipulate(i.e. Slow down the tempo of the PowerTab software during playback), as a learning tool particularly regarding reading & playing the rhythms in the Tab. I downloded the Help .pdf file & it mentions a PowerTab Player that addresses this request & it refers me to the Download page, but it is not there! Do you or anyone you know have & use this PowerTab Player? if so could you send it to me as it will be an invaluable asset!
Also is there a way to copy an exercise or excerpt from an HTML article on IBreathe(ie. 4 Bars of a picking Exercise) & paste that exercise into PowerTab after which I will change the initial tempo to a slower tempo, thereby allowing me to HEAR, read & practice this exercise or any other at numerous tempos based on my ability!
Once again thanks for all the great advice & Expertise!!!!

EricV
11-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Hi there, and welcome to ibreathe...

OK, first of all, if you wanna slow down the TAB when you play it back, simply set the tempo to a lower value...

Move the cursor to the beginning of the score and press the button I marked with a red circle in picture A ( below ).
Adjust the bpm ( picture B, marked with an oval ) to a lower tempo, then click "OK"

In the TAb, a new indicator will appear... ( picture C )
If you know press "Play", the playback will be slower

Regarding importing the TABs at ibreathe. This is not possible as of yet, but maybe we could include downloadable ptb.-Files in our future articles... ( Guni ? What do ya think ? )
That way, people could, if they want to, download the ptb and listen to the exercises used in the article
Hope this helps
Eric

Schooligo
11-28-2002, 08:04 AM
Thanks once again for the indepth advice, examples & help!!!

Do you know about this PowerTab "Player"?

EricV
11-28-2002, 08:08 AM
Hi there, youīre very welcome.
Hope to see ya post at our forums more often... feel free to ask any questions or tell us about your experiences with the guitar etc.
Warm regards
Eric

EricV
11-28-2002, 08:17 AM
Hi there,

No, I havenīt heard about the Powertab Playe, and frankly, I donīt see the purpose of it, because the Program itself can play back the TAB ( simply set your MIDI settings and use the "Play"-button ) plus it can export MIDI-files which you can play back with players like the Windows Media Player or Winamp.
Are you sure that the "Powertab Player" doesnīt refer to the programīs option of playing back the TAB ?

Or does the help maybe refer to the previous, older version ( I think it was 0.98 ) of Powertab, which could NOT play back the TABs ?
Eric

Schooligo
11-28-2002, 08:44 AM
Even Though before I asked you this question I did do some Research, I'm sorry I don't know if the help file I have is referring to an older version it mentions vers 1.7.
To maybe clarify this question I'll quote directly from the source. This is from Appendix B F.A.Q. of .pdf help file attached to PowerTab. "The Editor was designed as an editing tool only. What I've done is designed a separate program The Power Tab Player. It offers real-time tempo adjustment, looped playback" etc. It says you can download the latest version of the Power Tab Player by going to the official website page for PowerTab, & then choosing the Download page. This is not the case thus the confusion!

You bring up a valid point that the Editor also can adjust Tempo, but since the .pdf mention the PowerTab Player, I was trying to get a more complete idea of if this Player would be useful, &/or what it can do.

EricV
11-28-2002, 08:50 AM
Hmmm...
OK, I see your point. This is confusing. I have never heard of the Player. But Powertab is in constant development anyway, so maybe the programmer did discard that idea after a while.
Or maybe the Player still has to be released ( donīt think so, though, because theyīre about to release an all new Powertab-version )

So I guess there actually is no such thing like the Player ( anymore )... you could use the method I described above though, setting the tempo with the tempo marker...
Or you could post your question at the official Powertab-forum, which you can find HERE (http://members.boardhost.com/powertab/)

YOu might wanna browse that forum first, though, to see whether someone asked that question already.
Hope this helps
Eric

EricV
11-28-2002, 08:55 AM
From the Powertab-forum:

"how do you slow tab down and loop it to learn song
Posted by chris on October 11, 2002
"I can't seem to find anyway of slowing a song down to learn it. Also is there a way to loop it when it is slowed down.
Thanks "

Posted by Joe on October 17, 2002, 14:45:34 , in reply to "how do you slow tab down and loop it to learn song"

"You have to put in the repeat bars for looping (they can go up to 24) and tempo markers to change the speed for yourself. If you want to go under 40 bpm change the quarter note per beat to eight or sixteenth note for beat. This is one thing that can be done easier in guitarpro with the speed trainer. Powertab 2.0 is looking like vaporware. :>"

Posted by Kilgore on October 12, 2002, 4:07:35 , in reply to "how do you slow tab down and loop it to learn song"

"I'm afraid you'll have to wait with the rest of us for PowerTab 2.0 for those features. The present version doesn't do it. You can change the tempo at the beginning of a tune, if you like. "

Hope this helps
Eric

EricV
11-28-2002, 08:57 AM
This is from the Q&A on the official Powertab-Site... this might answer your question...

"Question
Is it possible to change the tempo during playback so that I can better learn a song?

Answer
No. Version 2.0 will contain a tempo adjustment option capable of real time tempo adjustment during playback."

Schooligo
11-28-2002, 09:01 AM
not only do you give great advice, but you also research the question! I really respect you for doing that!!
Thank you for taking the time to answer so succintly, especially since I'm sure you would rather be practicing &/or Playing!
Thanks many times!!
Take Care

EricV
11-28-2002, 09:05 AM
Hi there,
well, I am glad I was able to help and answer your question.

And believe it or not, I AM practising and playing while I am in front of the computer. It might not be "real, focussed, nit-picking metronome-practising", but I am doing my left- and right hand exercises whenever I am not typing :)

Warm regards
Eric

foxx
01-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Hi Eric,

I need help with power tab. Do know how to mute the unwanted guitars, instead of all playing at the same time. Thanks for your help

EricV
01-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Yeah... open the "Guitar" menu, and choose "setup".
In the window that appears, you can choose the settings for each guitar ( "Guitar I", "Guitar II" etc. ), and set the volume for each one separately. ( Initial Volume ).
Set it to "off" for the guitar you wanna mute.
That should work
Eric

Bongo Boy
01-11-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by EricV
So I guess there actually is no such thing like the Player ( anymore )... From the PT web site FAQ, "The Power Tab Player is officially extinct" as of 9/2000 I believe.

foxx
01-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Eric,
Thanks but I have tried all that but nothing seems to work. If you guys have been able to mute the guitars this way then it must be my sound card.