PDA

View Full Version : Necessary skills for GIT

Rock_Rocket
11-30-2002, 02:39 PM
Hi there,

I've already wondered for quite a while what might be necessary skills if you wanna start your studies at GIT. What are the things you've got to know (concerning theory) and what are the requirements concerning playing-technique, is there a test you've got do pass or how does it work?

Lotsa thanks for your replies.

Rock_Rocket

PS: Hi Eric, looking forward to see ya on saturday. Regards! Julian

EricV
11-30-2002, 04:21 PM
Hey Julian

Most people think that the skills required for attending the GIT are way higher than they actually are.
What youŽll need is some basic theory knowledge ( Cycle of 5ths / 5ths, the modal system, harmonizing a scale ), some basic sight reading skills ( reading 4th notes in one position at slow tempo ), plus some playing abilities ( you need to submit a tape of you playing a song of your choice, with some playing that you consider representative of your style and abilities ).
I donŽt think that this has been changed a lo ver since I attended the school.
I think youŽll get a sample-test when you order a catalogue from the MI, which you can do at their website (http://www.mi.edu)

Hope this helps
IŽll see ya on Saturday...
Eric

Rock_Rocket
12-01-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks a lot for your reply. To me this sounds very good since I always believed the GIT to be out of reach of - let's say... "mortal" players ;-). I used to think that extraordinary chops are necessary in order to study at GIT. Hope I was wrong and I hope there's still some use in trying for me personally. After all I've gotten somewhat optimistic after reading your reply (maybe some day... that would be great). Lotsa thanks!!!

Rock_Rocket

EricV
12-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Hey there,

yo, this is a common misconception. Ask yourself "If I need superhuman chops to go to a school, WHY WOULD I WANT TO GO THERE ?!?" I mean, whatfor ?
YOu need some basic stuff. In the first half of your time there, youŽll be taught all the basic stuff, including a lot of details, very thoroughly. Then, it gets to the advanced stuff.
I can tell you more next week, when you drop by
Eric

Oakleaf
12-02-2002, 03:42 AM
while we're on the subject, i'd like to know, how much does it cost to attend GIT for any of there various guitar related fields? and also to learn to record and stuff?

EricV
12-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Journeyman and Professional Certificate Programs:
Cost per Credit Unit: $220
Cost per Quarter ( 15 Credit units ): $3300

Degree Program:
Cost per Credit Unit: $220

RIT ( recording ) program:
Six Month Program COst: $10.000

Application Fee: $100
Material Fees: $100 / quarter

Those are the basic costs, there are some course-related fees. Also, the books and supplies average at like $50 to $100 per quarter for the Certificate Program, and up to $300 per quarter in the Degree program.
Also, thereŽs the cost of living...

IŽd recommend to order a catalogue from the MI, which you can do at the website ( you can also download it there ). The prizes might have changed again. The prize list I have is from last yearsŽ catalogue.
Hope this helps
Eric

EricV
12-02-2002, 01:37 PM
HereŽs a LINK (http://www.mi.edu/MI/catalog/MI_Course_Catalog.pdf) to download the current course catalogue as a pdf-file ( youŽll need Adobe Acrobat Reader )
On page 10, you can read about all the fees included...

And Julian, hereŽs another LINK (http://www.mi.edu/MI/catalog/MI_Application.pdf) to the application form, which will tell you about the skills youŽll need... skip to page 4 to read what I am talking about

Hope this helps
Eric