PDA

View Full Version : IBreathe Listener Experiment

rmuscat
10-07-2004, 07:48 AM
Ok i got this idea to make this small experiment, i don't know if it's usually done in music schools or is part of standard ear training. The experts can tell on this.

My idea is this: listen to the 3 attachments and tell me what you think of each, if you think they sound wrong, they are ok etc.

All i did was run through different scales on the same chord progression.

The way i saw it was this, take Em G. Is there anything which defines the key? As far as my limited knowledge of theory goes, the answer is NO. So i figured out the key can actually be a C Major, D Major or a G Major. Only the notes of the "melody" will then define the key.

I'd be happy if readers/listeners -
1) Take their comments on how each one sounds to them. Wrong, good, good on second listen (e.g. i got these comments from a friend)

2) If i missed anything theoretical it would be nice to know. Sorry if i did any theoretical blasphemies or things which i should be jailed for :o

I really prefer not to get in the discussion E Dorian, E Phrygian or E Aeolian. But if it's important then why not. I am more interested on how they sound to a number of ears.

I think it should be interesting, to me at least :D

edit: sorry if this is terribly stupid for some i was just wondering and i couldn't resist not asking this to a large number of people :p

Schmaus
10-15-2004, 12:10 AM
the first one sounds just a little awkward towards the middle, not very though, and the last two sound fine to me...but then again i dont have a very good ear. :cool:

rmuscat
10-15-2004, 07:53 AM
hey schmaus ... i love you!!! thanks for your feedback!!!!!

:D

i was frustrated about this thread :mad:

anyone else?! you never know you might learn something like what "chromatic" notes sound better during a lick. that's where the idea of the thread came from at least.

Carvinite
10-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, I would take part, but I cant listen to anything right now on account of my sound card :(

szulc
10-17-2004, 04:06 AM
All three of thes could have sounded better if you had tried to actually make melodies instead of just playing the scale. Unfortunately G Em is a pretty boring chord change since the differ by only 1 tone. Maybe you should try to create melodies over Em D. These two chords also can belong to more than one scale and sound different enough to be useful for creating melodies.

Bongo Boy
10-17-2004, 04:39 AM
This is a good example to me of how sound clips posts make sense--this may not be an experiment with a well-defined outcome, and it may not provide a specific 'lesson'. But, you're using a recording to illustrate some specific thinking that's going on. It's a good thing and a good use of the site.

I would never have known there were two different chords had you not told me, so it's given me an idea for some training exercises for myself--obviously I need some exercise! After listening to all three several times I still would not be able to tell if there was 'really' a difference in a listening test.

Interestingly, ascending C ma sounded good to me, and on first listen I actually thought I was hearing two different chords--but then things went downhill from there in terms of 'feeling' right and in terms of hearing two different chords.

I think the linear scale runs created a distraction. Loved the tone though--made me think of late Yardbirds for some reason. :)

JeffN
10-17-2004, 05:40 AM
I'm probably the last person on these boards who should reply to a thread like this, but here goes. With the disclaimer in place, here's what I think.

The C major scale starts sounding wrong to me after the first G maj is played. I think that this is because the V chord is wanting to go to I, but it ends up back at iii. I've always assumed that the progression itself helped define which key something "belonged" in. Too bad the only thing I know about progressions are that V wants to go to I, generally.

rmuscat
10-17-2004, 07:37 AM
wow thanks again for your advice...

szulc/bongu
i'll see if i manage to think of something better up. Thanks a lot for your hints.

JeffN i don't care if you're _________ (insert musical god here) or a deaf guitarist. I enjoy all comments. If i wanted experts ONLY i would have commisioned someone else lol.
You're talking about cadences are you? Chords which for example are ideal to stop on (or change key)?

as for the tone it's a guitarport ... and it saved by butt. You get to hear yourself ... BRRR! :turns white and shivers:

Los Boleros
10-27-2004, 12:35 AM
I think they all sound fine! You are right on in thinking the way you are. Em/G could be but a snigglet of en entire song in any of those keys. Now find the arpegios for those two chords in all three scales and play real melodies but putting emphasis on the notes of the arpegios.