PDA

View Full Version : I'm new...but not that new. Y'know?

UKRuss
10-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Done a couple of posts, thought I'd let all know who I am. It's a great pleasure to be here. This site is a treasure trove of great info. great debate and most of all I'm surrounded by more guitar crazy nuts than I could possibly wish for! GREAT!

I'm a UK based rock fan, 20 year plus guitar player. I love my Tele, also have a custom semi and a bass. Played in plenty of bands over the years but now tend to rock out once a month with some like minded guys in the local studio for fun.

Or do my own thing on digi 8 track at home.

Listening wise my root loves ware the classic rock bands from the 70s/80s. Anything from Zep/Purple/ACDC/Sabbath/The Who etc. through Van Halen, some great, some slightly embarrassing glam bands of the 80s (any other UK players remember Tigertailz and Last Of the Tennage Idols?) right now I can't get too excited about nu metal, Rammstein? Whats that all about? So spend most of my time with Green Day, Blink182 (those boys can play), stereophonics, incubus, the Foo's, Grandaddy, queens of the stone age, muse...well I could go on of course.

Needless to say I'm not short of a few CDs at the moment.

Key is, I love good guitar and frankly I don't mind who's playing it!

Listen, gotta go. Looking forward to sharing debate, learning new things, teaching some things to those I can help and hey! One day I want to plan and set up..."IBREATHEMUSICSTOCK"imagine..all of us..plugged..in a field.... 1-2-3-4!!!

whoa.;)

sugarbee
10-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey Welcome, and woah, I love the ibreathemusicstock idea!!!!

Also, share some of your musical tastes. Classic rock is where it's at for me mostly. They just don't do it the same way anymore....sigh...

Anyway, glad to have you on board and you should find that this is a gosh darn great community! Always keeping things interesting!

Have a good one and we'll see ya round!

UKRuss
10-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Cheers Sugarbee, thanks for the welcome!

I'm off to see Deep Purple in November at Wembley here in London, so I'll let you know how they get on. Word is they're going to run through the entire track listing from the album "Burn". Bring it on!

Peter Frampton supporting, should be good.

Rock out for the evening!

Koala
10-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey Russ, welcome to ibreathe, ibreathestock, that should be a blast.

UKRuss
10-11-2004, 10:48 AM
Cheers Koala!

I note you're in Mexico City! I know athletes train at altitude to improve their speed training..do you find it helps with the ol' geetar?;)

catch you soon!

Jackson Action
10-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Greetings....

Tigertailz!!!!
You just reminded me of pink bc rich guitars with cheese holes cut in them! I nearly chocked on my egg and cress sandwich!

Many of my mates slagged them big style, but to me they were all about fun and enjoyable to listen to (didn't they once cover 'Creeping Death'?)... I admire your courage fro mentioning them!

UKRuss
10-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Heh heh hehhhhh.

What ever happened to The Little Angels?

Jackson Action
10-12-2004, 07:12 AM
Dunno. I guess they were 'too posh to mosh, too good to last'....;)

Didn't one of them go on to become a record producer or summat? (it seems a long time ago!)

UKRuss
10-12-2004, 08:14 AM
It certainly does, you don't see hair like that anymore! and probably a good thing too!

Spent yesterday evening trawling through the dusty end of my vinyl collection and had a listen to some stuff, inspired by our retro discussion here.

Gun, Mr Big, Cinderella, Sea Hags, LA Guns, Faster *****cat, Hanoi Rocks...

Had to end on a high with the fine, fine cover of Creedence Clearwater's "Up Around the Bend" BY Hanoi Rocks.

You're absolutely right about the fun aspect though and I think that's perhaps what I'm not too keen on with the new stuff I mean Slipknot don't look like they're having much fun to me...but I might be wrong.

Jackson Action
10-12-2004, 09:10 AM
I'll admit to having a soft spot for certain Poison songs-'Nothin' but a good time' and 'unskinny bop' summed up that feelgood factor for me- remember the 'nothin...'' video where CC Deville changed guitar about 15 times per verse???I'd rather cut out my ears than listen to Slipknot, or, for that matter, any of that nu- metal stuff...

By the way, this retro thought process has just done me some severe mental damage- Stryper have just jumped back into memory!

How awful were they? Great White I never dug either.

I loved Thunder though- they were way different to what I was listening to most of the time back in the late 80s/early 90s.

Remember the chart show rock chart? I used to sit there through all sorts of dance/pop/techno rubbish until it came on, and it was always right at the end of the program!

UKRuss
10-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Thunder are also on the bill for the Purple gig I'm going to in November, strange you should mention them. I'm looking forward to it. I also saw them once at Wembley with Skid Row and Motley Crue, great gig. I think they were also on the Donington bill in '87 or '88. Maiden headlining, Kiss, Dave Lee Roth, Guns and Roses also on the bill, great gig, crap weather.

Great White were involved in that tragedy in America recently when the stage caught fire and unfortunately the crowd thought it was part of the set so didnt get out quick enough. Alot of people died trying to get out. Total tragedy.

I agree with the Poison sentiments, nothing wrong with that. Proper good time rock and roll and they had that love/hate thing going on with Michaels and DeVille in the same mold as the Gillan/Blackmore Slash/Axl type rivalry, always essential for any self respecting rock band's chemistry.

I was also a huge Bon Jovi fan, lost interest after New Jersey

Jackson Action
10-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Bon Jovi were one of the two bands that got me playing guitar- them and Iron Maiden. I wanted either a white Kramer or a strat, but couldn't afford either and ended up with a sunburst Encore strat copy- 100% plywood construction.

I remember hearing 'Dead or Alive' for the first time as a kid... it was enchanting. I lose track of how many times I played 'Slippery when Wet' back then... I must have been about 10 or 11.

UKRuss
10-12-2004, 03:55 PM
The classic Jovi riff that.

I guess I was a little older, 15 or so. But who couldn't be influenced by that album! Some great rock tunes.

In fact Dead or Alive was one of the covers I used to do in my first band, that and Billy Idol's White Wedding, never could coax that Steve Stevens sound out of my old strat copy...which sounds very similar to yours. Sunburst was the only way. I hated it so much by the end I bought a decent tele and vowed never to return to strats.

Do I take it from the screenname you play a Jackson now?

Koala
10-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Cheers Koala!

I note you're in Mexico City! I know athletes train at altitude to improve their speed training..do you find it helps with the ol' geetar?;)

catch you soon!

Im actually the founding father of the "High Altitude Chop Camp", if youre interested its only $8000 USD a week :D

Jackson Action
10-13-2004, 08:46 AM
Jacksons? I love 'em! I currently have three- a late 80s dinky, an early 90s Randy Rhoads (which I don't use too much now cos I find the shape awkward to work with) and a 2001 dinky. I've also played Fenders, Gibsons and B C Rich guitars over the years, but I always return to my tried and trusted.

The difference in quality between Jackson in the eighties/early 90s and now is amazing though- the 2001 model just feels so cheap in comparison...

I must admit I'm a bit of a collector- when you were 17 you always wanted THAT guitar and THE OTHER guitar but couldn't afford them- as soon as I started work I just started fulfilling that fantasy! The other half isn't too happy though, and she keeps saying that the purpose of having a spare bedroom is so that guests can sleep in it! The cheek!

I've played a few teles and I love that famous twang, though I never got around to buying one- just didn't seem appropriate for what I do.

What sort of music do you play/jam these days?

UKRuss
10-13-2004, 03:58 PM
I get a lot of buck for my pound at the mo' Koala but not that much!!

JA, Yeah,I always fancied a Jackson, was always checking out the Charvel/Jackson stuff in Rockbottom West Croydon, they once had a '58 Gibson Explorer in there, he let me play it but similar to your Rhoads axe it was difficult to handle and at 20grand or whatever it was I was **** scared I was going to drop the mutha! heh hehhhh.

We're just jamming for fun really, one of the other guys who plays is a proper blues buff so we tend to play his stuff cos we can all jam along, but i try to keep things interesting with some more complex rock stuff...gets a bit tedious trying to innovate solos over 4 hours of 12 bar in a studio...

I've been taking him through some exotic scales to keep it interesting and I must say I find at least the simple blues progressions give me a basis for trying out some different stuff. I still get away with a bit of Van Halenesque tapping but I'm not allowed to do it too often ;-)

But that's really all it is, just for fun. I guess we stick to the basics a bit of Hendrix, a bit of Clapton, etc. we always end on a strange one though...The Cult's She Sells..why? So I can wack up the Marshall gain and rock out!!

You know I've been tempted to buy a few more guitars but I've got two kids and they're both still babies, 3 years and 20 months, and it's damn hard trying to play with two kids dangling off the fretboard, so it's probably not a good time...plus kids cost cash and I can't see the Mrs greeting me home with open arms if I was to turn up with a grands worth of guitar in a case!

I do fancy one of those PRS Soapbar SE's though...tasty! And I'd love a Vai JEM just to really go mental on.

I love the flexibility I get with the Tele though, so many tones and with a decent effects board I can get pretty much whatever sound I want, all single coil though so got to be careful with the noise aspect! The Marshall really wails if you have to much distortion on the Tele, only downer..no trem bar of course but I tend to do a bit of bending up by pushing the strings tauter above the nut with the right hand and hammering on pulling off with the left or just dropping the machine head manually for some down bend, nice way to get down to a drop D tuning in the middle of playing.

Jackson Action
10-14-2004, 07:42 AM
I've always fancied a Jem as well- but they've gone ultra-pricey in the last few years!

I seem to spend most of my time as a home recording buff these days- count yourself lucky you have other musicians to jam with! Where I live the musicians I know are all into 'stoner rock' and have no desire no know even the simpliest pentatonic (I think they believe that the knowledge might taint their punk purity).

All my old mates who I was in bands with years ago are still playing extreme metal stuff- it no longer appeals.

As for the kid factor... I am reliably informed that similar restrictions will soon be placed upon my playing....

UKRuss
10-14-2004, 10:21 AM
We've got number 3 on the way! I'm hoping one of them has an interest in taking over Daddy's mantel as the guitar player in the family. More than that with 3...no reason why they couldn't set up a 3 piece band of their own!

It's a shame you don't get to jam anymore, it's always a good feeling getting in the studio and turning up the volume! Actually we're off tomorrow night for a session. Friday in the studio is quiet cos all the self respecting bands are out doing gigs..Fortunately we have no self respect.

I do alot of home recording too now, got myself the Boss 8 track recently. Only thing that annoys is you can't have more than two simultaneous inputs, pain when you're in the studio and relying on just two mikes to capture the session.

Jackson Action
10-15-2004, 10:18 AM
Is it the boss BR 1180CD that you've got? I got around that particular problem by getting myself a cheap mixer. The sound quality deteriorates, but not too noticably.

I've still never figured out the drum track thingy- seems far too complicated- still relying on a zoom drum machine!

UKRuss
10-15-2004, 11:34 AM
You know, as I was typing above it suddenly came to me as well...mixer is the answer. Particularly in the studio we go to as there is a backline so I can just nick the two speaker outputs from the mixer and feed them into the Boss.

I didn't have enough cash to go for the onboard CD model, so went for the guitarists friend BR-864. It's ok but you do need a big flashcard to do anything with more than four tracks, as you have to bounce it then master it then convert to .wav for export to the PC. That's how I get it onto CD.

But of course each time you bounce or master or convert it takes up more memory on the card. You ned up needing a 1gig card just to master and convert one bloody 8 track song.

I find the drum machine is ok if you just use the preset patterns and then copying those patterns into the arrangement. As soon as you start trying to get clever with it, manual programming and the like you're there all night. You're probably wise to stick to a seperate drum machine.

Right, lunch break! I'm off to hunt for a decent mixer, cheers for the solution!

Jackson Action
10-15-2004, 01:29 PM
Good luck with the hunt!

Boss gear has served me well over the years- I just wish they made their manuals less complicated...

Have a good weekend. The other half's going away so its just me and a dozen unfinished songs!