PDA

View Full Version : Modal/Exotic Improvisation

UKRuss
10-21-2004, 10:39 AM
Howdo all.

I'm a 20 years plus player but like most amateur players failed to learn all fretboard positions for notes and to understand the theory of what I was doing. Don't get me wrong I'm a better than average guitarist and for the majority of covers I play and stuff I have written my knowledge is good enough and fortunately I have a good ear and have come across a lot of great sounding improv stuff by accident and experimentation which I now build in to my solos.

But I've decided to get into the theory a bit more and I'm really trying to put the meat on the bones now and understand what it is I'm doing. I've been doing a lot of modal playing and am really getting to grips with it and can now see that some of the accidental stuff I've come across and use actually has a name for the scale etc. and it becomes clearer.

I'd really love to be able to "see" and "know" what scales and modes will fit over chords and progressions intuitively as I play to give me that improv ability.

What's the best way to go about this? I fear I may have to go back to basics of music theory but if that's what I have to do, then that's what I have to do.

Any pointers, tips, book titles etc. you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

rmuscat
10-21-2004, 10:52 AM
how are you doing with the articles at ibreathe? Guni's mainly.

not that i'm an expert but given my previous situation they are at the moment more then enough. I reread them everyonce in a while, work some stuff out of them etc.

or do you feel you should move beyond them now?

i'm just trying to understand what exactly you have in mind. maybe other would help too :)

UKRuss
10-21-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks Rob, I think you're probably making a valid pint, I mean point!, in any case. i.e. that there is probably more than enough info. on the site somewhere already.

I'll probably have a good scout around the site and see what I can find, do you have any of the titles for Guni's articles you mention?

rmuscat
10-21-2004, 08:21 PM
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/cat/3

scroll to bottom of page Chord Scales 1,2,3 - Gunharth Randolf

see how you manage with those ... obviously there are tonnes of books, if you're still not happy repost without hesitation!

good luck ;)

KirkLorange
10-24-2004, 08:05 PM
Hey UKRuss. check out http://www.thatllteachyou.com ...

UKRuss
10-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Cheers Guys!

Guni's articles are exactly what I need to marry what I'm playing with the theory behind it. I shall mine them for all their worth!

I'll check the other web source as well.