PDA

View Full Version : Bodhran Playing? Anyone?

JohnJumper
10-28-2004, 04:19 AM
OK...So I have been pretty happy with my Irish whistle recordings I have been making except for the drums. Last time I recorded myself taping on a table and that sounded ok but it was hard to get the rhythm right (mainly because it is not right yet ). Plus the tone was lame...

Sooo... I got this bright idea that I would get a Bodhran and play that - it should be pretty easy - right. After all ... its a drum ... I play guitar, whistle and am minimally proficient on the keyboards... how hard could it be? So I went out today and bought one and a video on how to play...

Holy cow!! was I clueless. I can barely keep a steady beat on the thing much less generate anything rhythmically complex. I guess drum playing is a whole other universe :eek: !!

Skeletor
10-28-2004, 04:59 AM
It didn't take me too long to get used to playing drums, but I've never tried a Bodhran (Though I would ABSOLUTELY love to own one) I've seen them played though, looks a little tricky.

Bongo Boy
11-05-2004, 08:13 PM
I started my musical journey several years ago with bongos, then conga. Yes, it's hard. I didn't find the rythym thing to be as hard as tone--it's the same old story, really, getting control and yet maintaining a relaxed body. There is way more to learn than I guessed when I bought those first bongos!

ALL instruments are quite humbling. You got me started on that goofy little whistle thing, and I've been even FURTHER humbled.

sugarbee
11-05-2004, 09:01 PM
I actually was forced to learn how to play drums for a show I was in one summer, it was the kinda thing where most of us had to play more than one instrument because we all had to sing lead at one point, so since we only had two drummers (out of 7 musicians) I was volunteered to become the third for a few select songs. Man! it was hard to learn, but did I ever love it!!!!! I felt soo cool! It's something I would like to be able to do more of. As far as bodhrans are concerned though, man, that takes a whole different kind of practice! But it is a really nice addition, especially for those irish flavoured tunes! Maybe some day when I am rich and famous I can set myself up with some more percussive equiptment, lol, but for now while I am poor I'll make due. I actually recorded a rhythm track featuring my piano bench a couple weeks ago! Yeah...that track's not going on any CD...;)