PDA

View Full Version : question!

Lexavier
11-12-2004, 08:20 AM
just wondering if anyone feels the same way i do : alright i listen to nirvana, smashing pumpkins, sound garden, danzig ( i think you get the picture, very cliche arent i?). but i also love listening to players like vai and satriani . so ill listen to all those grunge bands and ill think "i dont have to be the the next steve vai to make a good songs"and its very true you dont have to know everything about guitar to make a good song , but then ill listen to vai and think " i want to be as well rounded as this guy man , so i can make something thats sounds awesome yet complex" even though i havent delved into theory much ( i got a new teacher now so hopefully that will change) i have used every single thing i have learned to make a song and almost all of my songs id screw with different fingerings until i could hear that all my chords/melody lines could fit together. i always have those mixed emotions but ultimatley i want to learn as much as i can about guitar, obviously im not going to stop! its just the question of how complex or simple do i want my songs to be , i usually stay in between those two sides, but i do have a few songs where i have tried to make them extra hard AND extra melodic. ever since i started playing, every new song i hear i always pay attention to the guitar now , and i have started to pay more attention to drums and bass also ( to be honest im thinking of picking up the bass again it sounds so goddamn good!). i picked up the best of "living colour" ....vernon reid kicks *** on guitar man! i wish i would have thought of buying one of their cds a long time ago. well i should close this out now i always type to much.

rmuscat
11-12-2004, 08:33 AM
just the question of how complex or simple do i want my songs to be

i see two issues here. I take a few points from ChrisJ's article.

I thinkk it's the Musician Vs Artist thingie. (article: Playing for Life)

To be a musician, you must master your instrument. So that will entail a decent amount of practicing, education and hard work so that your abilities fit the demand (country, rock, blues...). Mastering your instrument like vai and the rest of the established and not famous musicians.

To be an artist, it's the music in you head which will define your abilities on the instrument. Sometimes you music (the one in you head) is so complex that you need to have a certain level of skill on you instrument. So you might actually need to practice 3x as much as a musician to play something which is in your head. In fact, Cobain's (i picked cobain as the most famous example, don't get me wrong, i bought all their albums) knowledge of guitar was enough (my opinion) for him to express what he needed to. ________ (guitar god here) knowledge is enough to express his. If this turned out to be untrue, then they practiced to get it, or asked someone else to do it for them. That's what makes them different.

Obviously the way i see it (i.e. from the eyes of a wannabe!) practicing one will develop the other so the tradeoff is only in you hands.

The pro's will definitely have interesting words about this.

theguitarist
11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
The question you have asked has a very simple answer.I am not any pro but that's why i can answer this.You are asking about how deep your music should be.But in my opinion the more important question is that how can we make our music deep.That's where the key lies that we have to reach excellence and we see Vai as our destination and even beyond.

So if you are as good as vai then your mind is above the normal player.Therefore your music will be complex.It cannot remain normal.But if you are satisfied with your playing your music will aslo be like that.So it all depends on which level you are.
That's why you see so many band like nirvana but like Vai,you can count them on your fingers.

Tiger Lily
11-21-2004, 11:56 PM
First, do whichever your ability best allows.
Second, do both. I mean, really, are you going to write only one song ever? hopefull not, so experiment with both, make a simple grunge song, and try to make one amazingly confusing. obviuosly one is easier then the other, but it all depends on what you get out of it in the end.