PDA

View Full Version : Stretch Pentatonics

szulc
12-08-2002, 02:40 AM
I am including my version of the Em Pentatonic three notes per string without repetiton. This is begging for tendonitus!

szulc
12-08-2002, 02:43 AM
Here is a couple of more managable fingerings for a stretch version of the E minor Pentatonic.

EricV
12-08-2002, 01:11 PM
Yeah,
this will fry your hands pretty easily... some of those stretches are involved in the intro of "Colorado Bulldog"...
BUT If you do it Greg Howe-style and TAP the highest note on each string, it´s manageable
Thanks for posting those, they´re a nice addition to the SP-articles for sure
Eric

szulc
12-08-2002, 02:22 PM
The second one is actually playable without tapping the highest note on each string. The other cool thing about this approach is you only need to learn two strings and then shift it up in octaves. This is what I refer to as "Octave Type" Scales.

EricV
12-08-2002, 02:24 PM
Yeah, that is indeed helpful,
also, those kinda patterns enable you to play bigger intervals,
helping to get away from the sound of the same old patterns...
The "octave" repetition gives it a quite interesting sound
Eric

szulc
12-08-2002, 04:03 PM
A lot of mileage can be gained by using these types of ideas to help with memorization of patterns. To truly exploit this you need two patterns for each starting note, but the pattern being the same in octaves more than makes up for this.

So for a pentatonic you would need to learn 10 patterns of 5 notes on 2 strings. As opposed to CAGED where you would need 5 patterns of 12 notes on 6 strings, or as opposed to the 3/1 stretch you need 10 patterns of 3 on every other string and one note on the other strings. Much easier to memorize!

szulc
12-15-2002, 03:16 AM
Here is a cool Em Pentatonic Septuplet lick in open position.
The picking I have shown is tough but it does let you sweep in one place. This could be played with strict AP, or even starting with a downstroke and sweeping on the first string change instead of the second. In that case the picking would be DUDDUDU. For some reason I find the way I have it shown easier.
Another picking pattern could be DUDDDUD, But the second septuplet would then be UDUDDUD which is the way I have it tabbed anyway. I just figured out why I like this version better.
This version has inside picking followed by a sweep to cross the strings which is less pick travel than a sweep followed by outside picking.

szulc
12-15-2002, 03:34 AM
Here is the same lick in Retrograde form (Each motive is retrograded). I have tabbed it to show all of the picking possiblities I think will work.

Bongo Boy
12-15-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by szulc
Here is the same lick in Retrograde form (Each motive is retrograded)I had to look up retrograde and found a site referenced here:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=690

szulc
12-15-2002, 04:10 PM
Turn the notes around in time, or start from the last note and play it backwards.