PDA

View Full Version : Backing Tracks vs Records

Voodoo-Child
11-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Currently I am not playing in any Bands, so to Practice Improvisation, I have to Jam with Backing Tracks and my C.D.s.

What is your opinion on what is better, Backing Tracks or your own C.D.s, personally I prefer C.D.s, because a backing track is just a backing track, usually a simple Chord Progression, there is no Vocal Melody, and not much to feed off.

But with my favourite Records, I can go with the feeling, and play accoringly, it is not that I am against Backing Tracks, because I do use them still.

Los Boleros
11-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Nothing wrong with either but I'll tell you what I did to improve my ear since I am soOo anal. When I was your age, I practiced to nothing but the Radio. This way I was constantly forced to figure the key real quick and I only had a liminted time to learn the melodies before the song was over. Then off to the next song.

Chim_Chim
11-14-2004, 09:19 PM
It's all good. :cool:

Voodoo-Child
11-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Nothing wrong with either but I'll tell you what I did to improve my ear since I am soOo anal. When I was your age, I practiced to nothing but the Radio. This way I was constantly forced to figure the key real quick and I only had a liminted time to learn the melodies before the song was over. Then off to the next song.
Wow!, that must have been tough, any perticular Stations that you listened too?

Los Boleros
11-14-2004, 09:37 PM
Wow!, that must have been tough, any perticular Stations that you listened too?When I was your age I listened to Rock and pop stations.

Voodoo-Child
11-14-2004, 09:41 PM
When I was your age I listened to Rock and pop stations.
Generally I don't listen to the Radio much, I mainly watch Music Videos on T.V., and buy Records, I like your idea though, I might give it a go!