PDA

View Full Version : Great albums this year

EricV
12-08-2002, 02:37 PM
Well, the yearīs coming to an end ( Yay ! X-masīs coming up ! )

Yesterday I was browing through my CDīs and I thought about some of the cool albums that came out this year... so I figured "Why not make up some thread where we talk about the cool stuff that came out this year ? Maybe, some people find some really cool new music through that !"

So anyway,
here are some the albums that came out in 2002 that I liked a lot:

1. Strange New Music- Joe Satriani
I posted about that one before... I had soem issues with "Engines...", but this one I really like again. It has some certain dark, moody atmosphere that I like, and some great melodies and sounds...

2. Faith Hill- Cry
This one has me mixed up... I love a few of those tunes, while some others are just not "my cup of tea"... thereīs a big pop-influence here ( Aguilera-style ) which I canīt really get into, but the title-track and especially "Back To You" I really like...

3. Paul Gilbert - Burning Organ
This one has a bunch of awesome melodies ! Love it...

4. Audioslave - dto.
Man, that one blew me away. Great stuff... the songs groove like crazy, and Chris Cornell does a great job singing. I love it.

5. Vanessa Carlton- Be Not Nobody
Some really good songs on this one...

6. Rush - Vapour Trails
This one truly rocks

7. The STeve Morse Band- Split Decision
Great songs & melodies, a fresh sound, great playing

How about you ?
Eric

snufeldin
12-08-2002, 02:39 PM
I'd like to add the new coldplay album to that list: A Rush of Blood to the Head
beautiful, beautiful stuff

szulc
12-08-2002, 03:13 PM
"Goodbye to Romance
Standards For a New Generation"

The Alex Skolnick Trio

Diana Krall
Live In Paris

RobA
12-08-2002, 05:58 PM
Here's my pick,
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

eviltwin
12-10-2002, 08:40 PM
My choice would be;

Slash's Snakepit : Ain't Life Grand.

JpEvhAf
12-12-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by RobA
Here's my pick,
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence

Mine too!

Bizarro
12-12-2002, 07:35 AM
Ozzy, Live at the Budokan. Zakk really tears it up live. And he looks cool while doing it, too!

John Mayer's disc has some good guitar work. The songs are very strong, a little mushy, but I dig it.

MetallicTheatre
12-20-2002, 02:02 PM
I've got to go with Weathered by Creed
aaron

Thorsten
12-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Untouchables-Korn
Snowball of Doom-Racer x
Iowa-Slipknot
The Sinister Urge-Rob Zombie
Waking the fury-Annihilator
Demon Drive-Rockīn Roll Star

Probably my most listened to Albums of 2002

EricV
12-20-2002, 02:25 PM
Hey Thorsten,
well, judging by the songs I have heard from the upcoming Demon Drive-CD, "Four Play" will definitely be on my list next year... and who knows, maybe your solo-album will be finished until then too... ;)
Eric

EricV
12-20-2002, 02:27 PM
OK, the year only has a couple days left, but I actually did receive a CD just today, and it HAS to be added to my "albums of the year" list.
It wonīt be officially released till late January 03, but since I received it today, Iīll add it ( cuz itīs MY list )
I am talking about "Big Sky", the upcoming solo-album of Brett Garsed. Man, what an awesome album.
Definitely one of the best CDs I have heard this year, no question !

Stay tuned for way more info about it and about Brett... we have some stuff coming up for you !
Eric

Thorsten
12-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by EricV
Hey Thorsten,
well, judging by the songs I have heard from the upcoming Demon Drive-CD, "Four Play" will definitely be on my list next year... and who knows, maybe your solo-album will be finished until then too... ;)
Eric

Thanks Eric...yeah "Four Play!" kicks butt!!!

...and for my solo-album...I really hope so!

The Mechanix
12-20-2002, 04:11 PM
My top album this year is "Lovehatetragedy" by Papa Roach!! Brilliant!!!!!

I wasn't that much into them, but I got to see them, and they really rocked the place. That night converted me into a big fan.

I almost forgot, "Rude Awakening" by Megadeth. A kick *** live album that shows an amazing band that are much missed.

Also, their re-mastered "Killing is my business.....and business is good". You can hear just how much their first lineup rocked. Gars drums on The Mechanix are just awesome.

oddsocksuk
12-20-2002, 07:27 PM
hey i agree with the who coldplay thing that is really beauuuutiful - gr8 4 chillin' out 2.
However, I really like the new Foo Fighters album, One BY One.
That converted me in2 a fan, especially All My Life!
I would also say Nirvana gr8est hits, but its a scandel. It is just a money making plan 2 take advantage of his death.
Nirvana rule and if U want 2 hear that album, I suggest u copy it or sumfin',its wat Kurt would've wanted.
Does NE1 agree?
blue :p :confused: :mad: :D

squidseye
01-03-2003, 06:04 PM
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Danster
01-03-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by squidseye
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf Ya know, this album seems to be getting rave reviews, but I've listened to it, and I'm a little bewildered. It didn't do anything for me. Whatcha like about it?

...and welcome to iBreathe. This is a great place.

Cheers,
Dan

NP: Mozart for Morning Coffee

Danster
01-04-2003, 02:31 PM
I gave that Queens of the Stone Age album another listen last night, and I just don't get what all the excitement is. I must be getting old.:D

szulc
01-04-2003, 02:54 PM
Joe Satraini - Strange Beautiful Music

Dio - Killing the Dragon

paul Macdowell
01-05-2003, 02:11 PM
An extremely talented and versatile guitarist from Spain, Jose De Castro, has released his debut instrumental CD, entitled Un Poco De Lo Mio. Featuring a combination of hard rock, fusion and shred (ala Prashant Aswani, Greg Howe and Shawn Baxter) on tracks such as "Entre Los Dedos", "Pasos En Las Cuerdas" and "Tornado", De Castro doesn't stop there. He's equally adept at the blues ("Pasion"), rhythmic rock with fingerpicked and slide-like sections ("Luz") and acoustic ("La Mejor Casa"). And there's still three songs to go! Dynamic and diverse, yet beautifully recorded and executed (the bassists, Alex Garcia and Yrvis Mendez, are quite good and Manu Rey on drums is also noteworthy) Un Poco De Lo Mio is a superb opening statement from this Spanish guitar player. Instrumental Guitar (Electric (Heavy)/Hard Rock/Fusion), total running time, 35:44

GUITAR 9 REVIEW
http://www.guitar9.com/unpocodelomio.html
You must listen this guitar player

Thorsten
01-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Just checked out Joseīs sound clips... very excellent! Great tone and feel plus some serious chops. The rhythm section is grooving also and the songs are very tasty. Thumbs up for Jose!!!
:D