PDA

View Full Version : changing strings on Floyd Rose guitars

Bande
11-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Hi!

I heard that changing strings on Floyd Rose is pretty much a pain in the neck. So could you tell me something what problems might I have changing strings if I have a Floyd Rose??? 'cos I break my strings very often...

Thanks!

phantom
11-25-2004, 11:34 AM
oh oh oh.. bande that will cost you a few beers. doublepostet gearquestion.

:eek:

is pretty much a pain in the neck

it acctually is a pain in the a**.

.. because you have to cut the balls (ouch..) and "screw" the string into the bridge. then up to the tuners. if you break a string your whole tuning will go down the drain 'cause the balance string pull and spring pull is gone.
once everything is setup fine, and the strings are in tune, you can whammy around like hell. it works best with the original floyd rose or the ibanez licenses. there are a few "cheap" floyd licence tremoloes that really suck. so try it before you buy it. ;)

Metal Dan
11-26-2004, 12:34 AM
I can tell ya from personal experience to stay away from any trem Washburn uses :P

DemonSorcerer
11-26-2004, 09:56 PM
Hey, Sven!!

You should check Ibanez's new bridge system...the Edge Pro and Edge Pro II...here's a link for you to check... http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/
The damn thing doesn't need you to cut the balls off the string!! there are some other advantages as well...btw, GREAT CHROMATIC LICK in CFH...Cromatic Swirl, eh?? ;) two thumbs up!! ;)

David

wild_child
11-26-2004, 10:57 PM
IMHO unless youre lazy as hell, it really isn't much hassle to maintain a FR. I have two of the things! I can change and tune a whole set in 10 minutes, so long as it is set up right.

The new Edges do look good though. My friend has one on his J-Custom and it divebombs and whatnot with no hassle at all. The string change is much like a strat too, and since you don't have to cut off the ends it gives your tone a little more "balls" (pun intended) :)

Dave_Irishman
11-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Hey guys,

Got a quick question for ye, I have an ESP MH-400 with a licensed Floyd Rose Bridge, I haven't had any problems with this bridge or anything but I was considering upgrading it. Will this new Ibanez bridge fit into my guitar which has standard Floyd Rose routing or will I need to get some work done here?

Cheers
Dave.

phantom
11-29-2004, 08:13 AM
GREAT CHROMATIC LICK in CFH...Cromatic Swirl, eh?? two thumbs up!!

hey david, thanks man!

i'll make sure to try the new trems out. as i had to sell almost all of my guitars there might be place for an ibanez sometime next year ;-)...