PDA

View Full Version : Worst gig ever...

Lady_Poseidon
12-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Oh my God! Last night was awful! We were headlining a gig last night, and two other bands were supposed to be supporting us. As i havent been playing for very long, i dont have my own amp so i just borrow one from one of the other bands. The organiser told us that there would definitely be a bass amp there... guess what there wasnt... :mad: not only that one of the support bands dropped out so we had to play for longer. They DI'd a normal amp (not sure what that means) so i could use that and it was pants it really was. I couldnt hear myself at all on stage, and i could have died with embarresment - my lead came out during one of the songs and i didnt realise until the vocalist kicked it at me (but i couldnt hear myself play so i didnt know :mad: ), i completely forgot all the notes to one of the songs, and i generally played really badly and it felt really bad. What made it twice as bad is everyone knew i really wasnt happy so everyone was giving me hugs saying i did fantastic when i know i didnt. The other thing that really wound me up was the fact that loads of people that i knew that hadnt seen us play before came and i wouldnt stop saying how great my new bass was and how great it sounded and not only did it sound really bad going through that amp (sounded like my practice amp at home) but i played badly too and i feel really really c**p!!!

I know i need a bad gig because it gives me experience and at least i know it cant get any worse than that... but the problem is its really knocked my confidence and im reconsidering carrying on with bass even though playing is sooo important to me and i love it so much. I dont know what to do... please help me?

Sorry if ive babbled on...

phantom
12-03-2004, 09:43 AM
OMG

that's hell isn't it.

and i know how it feels when friends clap your back saying it was awesome when you surely know that everything sucked.
you probably thought, "do they really think i am so bad, that this crap performance was one of my best?".
well i guess everybody had gigs like that, good thing is - it's over and gone. it was yesterday, and time is on your side. the more time there will be between the "now" and the bad gig the more irrelevant it will get.
the other thing is that the audience can experience a show sometimes completely different than the artist.
i had a gig that i thought really kicked a*s, and i had people coming up, telling me "well pal.. it wasn't that great tonight.. what happened? couldn't you hear yourself?"
.. so what's worse?
;)

don't worry too much. life definately will go on although it might not seem like it always.

rmuscat
12-03-2004, 09:47 AM
I dont know what to do... please help me?

play on - anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger ;)

ChrisJ
12-03-2004, 10:00 AM
These are the things that will make you better. Believe me, as much as I believe in a good musical education, all the schooling will never teach you about things like this. Now you will always remember:
1. Bring your own amp, no matter what a pain it is.

2. When you use a direct box, have the engineer mix your sound into your monitor.

3. Make sure you are going to get a monitor for yourself.

Experience teaches you how to run your cable through your strap so you don't pull it out of the jack, and how to keep your guitar in tune through a show.

Don't let it get you down. When I was in the ninth grade, I played in the talent show and we lost so bad it wasn't funny. The guitarist in the other band smoked me and I honestly debated quiting. But, as you can guess, I stuck with it and have been working in the music industry for 22 years now. The other day, out of the blue I got an e-mail from the guy that smoked me after all these years. He's playing but never made a career of the guitar and congratulated me on what I've done with the guitar (he found my site on the web).

Stick with it, you'll make it in the end.

-CJ

UKRuss
12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Lady P.

It's a harsh lesson, it really is.

But I have to say it's a cardinal rule of mine, no matter what I'm doing or where I'm going to play for whatever reason be it a gig or a rehearsal I always ALWAYS always always take everything I need, everything, everything, everything.

Gotta buy yourself an amp...not easy on Uk student money I know, but Xmas is coming!

The bonus is you can really set your sound up at home and then transport the whole thing with you and play with confidence that your set up is as you want it.

Just make sure you blow them away next time so they really have something to congratulate you for.

As they used to say in ancient rome: Non Illigitemae carborundum.:D

Malcolm
12-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Yep, be there early so you can have time to make allowances for the unexpected.

One of our members brought everything to one gig --- except his guitar -- now that is a bummer. Not the end of the world, he became the backup vocalist. Adapt.

Hugs, a good band - one where everyone gets along - is a very safe place to be. Move on, learn from it and don't put yourself in that same situation again.

Lady_Poseidon
12-03-2004, 03:10 PM
the band were really great about it, i got lots and lots of hugs! :) but i really regret getting all moody and upset about it, if i had smiled and gotten on with it... unfortunately i dont have the confidence to do that. Im getting a my first amp for christmas, i have a practice one but im getting one thats good enough for live music. Funny thing was, a couple of weeks ago i said to the vocalist "something is going to go seriously wrong on the 2nd dec" and he wouldnt believe me and i was right! Well at least i can say (if i havent already said it) that it cant get any worse than last night! Lets just hope i pass my driving test soon so i can transport my new amp...

oscardoo
12-05-2004, 04:13 AM
Hey - KEEP AT IT!
Man - everyone has at least ONE 'bad gig' experience
You'll either be laughing about this in 5 years or still crying about it if u quit
believe Sista.............

UKRuss
12-06-2004, 04:54 PM
heh heh. I just remembered my worst gig...

Foolishly played Basketball the night before the gig and had a ball land right on the end of the my left index finger...any ball game players will know that injury. Well, it swelled up around the joints and I simply couldnt bend it.

I spent the rest of the night and the following day learning to play all our songs chords with the remaining three fingers only. tricky.

Thankfully we weren't doing anything particularly complex but the solos went out the window.

I really wanted to show off that night too...that'll learn me.

Lady_Poseidon
12-08-2004, 08:52 PM
oooh painful! did it go ok though? im quite glad about one thing about that gig (kinda)... a week before i went to see Deicide play, and i got very drunk and was headbanging harder and faster than i ever have before (knowing that i have back problems) this resulted in really bad back and neck strain, it was so bad i couldnt move for a couple of days... luckily it was a lot better by the gig but it was still painful even so! so i know the feeling!

UKRuss
12-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah, it went ok as I recall. But the point was it could have ben better. On the other hand I think every gig I've ever done could have been better in some way.

It just shows how polished and professional the top bands get in terms of their set list and presentation and so on.

Ah yes, the headbangers neck strain.

Unavoidable really as you'd look a bit foolish doing warm up exercises before the gig...:D

mattblack850
12-24-2004, 05:54 PM
A freind of mine from South Africa was playing 2nd Headline band when Live Aid was on over there, 80,000 people, he trod on his lead and pulled it out without realising, so he starts checking his pedal board and connections!!! A roadie came running on, plugged him back in and ran off again!!!! Hilarious to watch, especially when you know the guy and how experienced a performer he is!!!!!

Don't let a bad show get you down, we've all had one at some point. Use the experience to compare your better shows to, and you'll soon just be laughing about it!!!!

Danster
12-25-2004, 08:59 PM
A freind of mine from South Africa was playing 2nd Headline band when Live Aid was on over there, 80,000 people, he trod on his lead and pulled it out without realising, so he starts checking his pedal board and connections!!! A roadie came running on, plugged him back in and ran off again!!!!
On the AC/DC Live at Donington video, Angus starts playing a solo (in front of a zillion people) with the volume on his guitar all the way down. He pulled through though. :D

Alan of Mordor
12-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Lady Posedion, don't worry. I've had my share of sucky gigs too. My first show ever, the drummer forgot all the parts and plunged the band into cacaphonus ruckus. My third gig I fogt the parts, messed up my solo, and accidently pulled the cord out of my amp which was feeding back enough to crash most airborn machines. And not only did I have the supportive friends who were telling me I did "good" in an effort to help, but I also had a bunch of music snobs talking major crap about me afterwards (not to my face, though). But you know what? I wanted to feel bad, but then I just said to myself "So what?", grabbed a beer, and relaxed. Every musician has bad gigs, else you won't learn. Noe I know How to adjust my amp and how much I need to rehears before a show. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.;)