PDA

View Full Version : Recording Distortion...

-Mm-
12-12-2002, 08:10 AM
Me and my mate were recently recording a song, and we wanted a NICE sounding SMOOTH distortion....so we filddled around a bit until we were happy with the sound. But after we recorded it, the sound of the distortion would be best described as thin, weak, irritable, and very metal/tin like. The thing that supirses me is how different the sound of the distortion is (coming through my amp) and the sound that was produced with the recording.
I used a SM57 up close to the amp and a SM58 about a metre back if this information helps...(i also used the Marshall distortion on my amp) If anyone could tell me why this is so and how to overcome it, i will be very grateful :D

Alex.

szulc
12-12-2002, 11:34 AM
make sure to aim the close mic at the edge of the speaker.

-Mm-
12-13-2002, 07:17 AM
Yeah i have that correct...

szulc
12-13-2002, 11:32 AM
You may have a phasing problem. Try moving the far mic out a little, then record again.

-Mm-
12-14-2002, 02:27 AM
Yeah i did record it with various micing positions...but it reall didn't do much. Would the room i'm recording in have much to do with it?

Bongo Boy
12-14-2002, 02:32 AM
...reverse the polarity.

:)

Bongo Boy
12-14-2002, 02:37 AM
Seriously, let me recommend you post your issues over on www.homerecording.com. Be as specific as possible about your problem though, or they may be a little harsh. The old guys tend to get cranky when they think they've gotten one of those "what mic is best?" questions.

There's also a www.recording.org site (I think that's the correct URL). Now THESE guys are serious and I've heard they take no prisoners.

-Mm-
12-14-2002, 02:37 AM
ummm i don't know what polarity is :P
I'm pretty new at this stuff.

-Mm-
12-14-2002, 02:42 AM
Thanks Bongo, i'll have a look but might decide not to bother :P
If i had a lot of information about this stuff i'd be happy to share it, don't know what is wrong with people these days ...

szulc
12-14-2002, 02:44 AM
How are you mixing the mic signals together?
Are you recoring them on separate channels then mixing them or mixing before you record?
I suggest you record completely dry (no effects except your melting tubes). Use two channels one for close miking and one for far miking ( I would even consider a third for a line level signal from your amp from a direct box or hot plate/load box) Then when you have finished your recording carefully mix them using studio monitors (and whatever effects you want to use) but don't print them with effects. I would probably use the 58 close and the 57 farther away. The 57 is very midgrange peaky (are these Shure Beta series, those are even worse for midrange peaks) the 58 will be less peaky and should give a better bass response. If you are using the beta series you are going to need to attenuate the upper mids a bit to remove the nasty peak created by these mikes.

-Mm-
12-14-2002, 02:53 AM
Thanks szulc, i'll try that out. I have been recording 2 mics on to one channel...

szulc
12-14-2002, 02:57 AM
A microphone has a coil of wire and a magnet (sound familiar?)
Depending on how the coil is conected to your mixer you could have the polarity reversed between the mics. Check to see if the signal is weaker or stronger when mixing the two mics together, if the signal is weaker than you have one of the mics out of phase.
If you are using XLR plugs you can desolder the two signal wires and reverse them (on one of the mics) to fix this.

Bongo Boy
12-14-2002, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by szulc
If you are using XLR plugs you can desolder the two signal wires and reverse them (on one of the mics) to fix this. Or, some preamps have a little 'phase' button that will do this for you, right?

szulc
12-14-2002, 09:16 PM
If you say so, I have not seen any like this, although I noticed that Sonar has a phase switch on its virtual mixer.

ampedout
12-23-2002, 04:19 PM
-Mn-, Bongo has it. WWW.homerecording.com will get you there. But you need not be intimidated to ask a question, that's the only way you will learn other than trial and error. You may get some bonehead trying to blow up his knowledge ballon, just fade them. You'll get some decent advise. Re: Thin-Tin-Tone at playback. Alot of times you might need to compensate your tones settings, ie: back off on the presence and mids a little at a time and see if that helps. Also try and semi- isolate ( place a pillow, foam..etc. around mic'd amp to somewhat add some warmth. Good luck, you find it.

Bongo Boy
12-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Actually I was confusing www.homerecording.com with another site that was a bit rough around the edges. All the folks at homerecording seem great and I've had no problems over there at all. Lots of topic areas.