PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics

Gareth
12-13-2002, 01:29 AM
Hi, I was wondering if you know any good exercises for improving dynamics in your playing. At the moment I tend to pick all the notes wiyth the same force, or at best either very hard or very soft.
Cheers
Gareth

Guni
12-13-2002, 07:11 AM
Hi Gareth,

We talked about this a bit in this thread http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=149

Although it's more about accent displacement I think you can make up your own exercises based on this info.

Otherwise let us know :D

Guni

szulc
12-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Cool, I would to see that thread revived!

EricV
12-13-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Gareth
Hi, I was wondering if you know any good exercises for improving dynamics in your playing. At the moment I tend to pick all the notes wiyth the same force, or at best either very hard or very soft.
Cheers
Gareth

Hi there,

one exercise for this that I picked up from PG was to "dig in deeper" with the pick ( move it´s tip closer to the guitars body ) in between.
Like, play one staccato note ( like, fret the E on the G-string and pick it over and over, moderately fast ), and then alter the way you pick... at first, pick as usual, most likely using only the very tip of the pick, then, in between, move the pick in deeper, closer to the body of the guitar... you might have to pick harder, but the notes will become louder.
Alternate between those two ways of picking.

Also, if you i.e. play triplets or sixtuplets, try to pick the first note harder / louder than the others. That way, you´ll put a certain accent into a repeating lick, and can make it easier to seperate it and count it...

Hope this helps
Eric

Schooligo
12-24-2002, 11:50 PM
Better Late than Never
Just read this post,
noticed that the Playing Technique used when accenting Rhythmic Figures described in the angling pick post applies to Dynamics & in particular Eric's advice.

"Also when I accent a rhythmic figure ie. a 1 beat triplet-if the music calls for accenting the 1 of the triplet I angle the pick just a little bit more on the accented note, then play with less angle as I play the other 2 notes of the triplet, then angle my pick to accent the 2 of the next triplet, etc. I have had the honor to attend a Guitar Clinique with AL DiMeola & noticed he also angled his pick during accents."

Hope this is Helpful!!

Cont:
This is such an important Topic,
Whenever I've had the priviledge to learn from Top Notch Professional Musicians either by them doing a performance, guitar clinique, Jazz festival, etc. The Pro's always seem to really take the use of Dynamics to a higher level. Not only that but its the effective tasteful use of Dynamics that sets themselves apart, either in a Group setting or as a Solo Artist.