PDA

View Full Version : Writing music... not sure how...

Lady_Poseidon
12-08-2004, 09:01 PM
I have only been playing bass for a year, and find being creative quite difficult (maybe because lack of confidence rather than no imagination) but the lead singer in our band wants me to write a bass line for a new song of ours. Its very funky, but i dont know where to start, i understand that even if it is simple it could possibly be better than something complicated.

Has anyone got any ideas or advice, i really need it!

Thankyou x

mjo
12-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi "LP"
Do you have a recording you can work with ?
If you 'guys' don't have a way to record these things, I'd recommend you get something. This is a great tool to have, for everyone in the band.

Otherwise, schedule an afternoon with the guitar player (ideally the singer too) to work on some ideas.

If you're actually looking for scale or note choice advice then, please disregard the preceeding - :D

anything helpfull there ?

-best,
Mike

Lady_Poseidon
12-09-2004, 10:24 AM
we are going to record it next week. The lead singer/guitarist wants me to do it by myself... once i have a copy of the music it will be a lot easier, but i still have the no-creativity bug... :confused:

UKRuss
12-09-2004, 01:55 PM
A nice way to do it is to listen to the music a few times and then start to sing a bass line you think fits underneath it.

Once your happy, transpose to your bass and your off!

ReinierK
12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Singing is such a powerfull tool :)
Record your singin and try to play it on the bass afterwards... It help and after some time you get better at singing in 'your head' and play it directly ;)

Sir Speedy
12-10-2004, 05:35 AM
Have you heard of "Fast Trak" for Bass, LP ?? it's a good instructional book you can get at Barns and Noble . The Range is from Rock to Blues and Funk , it has little song examples , which are really usefull , they have 'em for keyboard and guitar also ...
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

fortymile
12-10-2004, 09:47 PM
my advice is to spend some quality time listening to music with basslines that interest you. and if you can, go to a concert sometime a few days before you try writing. listening to music and seeing bands that grab ya can really open things up for a little while. but you almost have to immerse yourself. sometimes i get novel riffs and basslines assembling automatically in the quiet after a prolonged exposure, as if my brain is taking all the sonic materials and just juggling them around. and the live concert serves the purpose of gathering some excitement to use as fuel.