PDA

View Full Version : My brother... the bass maestro...

MondoMarcus
12-09-2004, 01:36 AM
My brother is a pretty good bass player, but sometimes like to go a little too far with the instrument.
I write songs, and want a simple, but still creative bass line. My brother tends to go crazy like he's a lead guitar player in a heavy metal band. It gets kind of annoying after awhile, and alot of the time is too much... I get kind of pissed. I write the songs, and already know how I want the bass to sound, then he gets mad when I tell him what to play. How do I tell him to tone it down?

metaljustice83
12-09-2004, 03:00 AM
maybe you could ask him how what he is playing fits the song? maybe 1 of 2 things will happen, you'll understand what he's playing, or he'll understand what he's playing. Good luck

MondoMarcus
12-09-2004, 06:16 PM
maybe you could ask him how what he is playing fits the song? maybe 1 of 2 things will happen, you'll understand what he's playing, or he'll understand what he's playing. Good luckIf I ask him how it fits the song, he'll just say "it's in key". Wich really pisses me off. I write alot of surf songs that should really have a simple, yet effective bass line. But he wants to go ape**** on the fret board.
I want him in my band because he's my brother, but I would really like his bass playing to take it down a notch. It's not like "Weather Report" or anything.

theox
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
I guess he's your older brother? Otherwise kick his ***! :D

mattblack850
01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
I guess he's your older brother? Otherwise kick his ***! :D
I always found extreme violence necessary with my siblings as well!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

But seriously, tape the rehearsals, hopefully on a worse night, then play them back. If he really is a bass player then he should be able to hear what is and what's not working from your point of view. If not get a decent bass player and get your brother playing guitar instead, as it sounds like he wants to be a lead player anyway!!!!

satch_master
10-01-2005, 09:09 AM
I have always wanted to see what it would be like to see someone playing lighting fast malmsteen shred solos on bass.LOL. I think your bro is the bassists version of the "guitar wanker". I bet he listens to alot of Wooten, Stu Hamm and Pastorious. Maybe he should just become a lead guitarist if he loves shredding that much. Some of the best bass lines ever are nothing more than a simple groove. Just pounding away on an open E can sound better and more effective that a 2 handed tapping monster solo with mixophyigainlydian scales in it. Real bassists know what to play and what not to play. John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin is perfect example of a great bassplayer.