PDA

View Full Version : I've got a new song and it needs your ears

Shadows
12-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Ok, so this is the situation. Yesterday my music teacher asked me to play a piece in the schools Christmas ending. I said sure and went home to decide what I was going to perform. At first I thought that I was just going to do something on one acoustic guitar. It'd take the least effort but then I decided to go with a backing track on cd and an electric piece. I have never played anything really technically challenging so I decided to give it a shot.

Well this is what I came up with. I wrote it and recorded yesterday and arranged it today. The song is called "The Apple Juice Song" and it's a well, I don't what kind of style this song is in. It's my style of music and I hope you enjoy it.

You can download the song at: http://www.angelfire.com/folk/shadows0/

Anyway, since this song is going to be performed to an audience I want everything to be as good as possible so if you have any comments, suggestions or whatever just fire away. I want to know what you think about it. I believe that I will shorten down the ending a bit right now it feels like it's a bit to long. I haven't decided yet though.

Thanks for your time people.

/Fredrik

Los Boleros
12-16-2004, 11:24 PM
You have some good ideas there. I think alot of the parts are too long. There is a part where you are playing some fast arpegios and after that you do a tasty melodic solo, I would probably switch two around to make the Arpegios the highlight of the song. I like the main melody, it's catchie:D

Shadows
12-18-2004, 01:16 AM
You have some good ideas there. I think alot of the parts are too long. There is a part where you are playing some fast arpegios and after that you do a tasty melodic solo, I would probably switch two around to make the Arpegios the highlight of the song. I like the main melody, it's catchie:D
Thanks alot Los Boleros those are some really good suggestions and I will take them under advisement. I've put up a slightly altered version now if you have the time you could check it out. There aren't any major changes it's mostly mixing and balance issues that has been worked out but it would feel good to know whether or not you think it's an improvement.

Regards Fredrik

Los Boleros
12-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks alot Los Boleros those are some really good suggestions and I will take them under advisement. I've put up a slightly altered version now if you have the time you could check it out. There aren't any major changes it's mostly mixing and balance issues that has been worked out but it would feel good to know whether or not you think it's an improvement.

Regards FredrikIt's hard to tell if the mix is an improvement cause I don't hear the previous version to compare it to. Is that a Bass player playing the bass lines? It sounds super deep and kinda muddy, maybe that could be cleaned up by giving the bass some more definition. (more highs and high mids or less deep bass.)

Shadows
12-18-2004, 09:25 AM
It's hard to tell if the mix is an improvement cause I don't hear the previous version to compare it to. Is that a Bass player playing the bass lines? It sounds super deep and kinda muddy, maybe that could be cleaned up by giving the bass some more definition. (more highs and high mids or less deep bass.)
Define bassplayer :D It's me playing everything on this song and I kinda know how to play the bass even though I'm certainly nowhere near being good on the instrument. I know that the bass sound is pretty bad but I don't have any good recording equipment for bass I only have a really cheap bass and it is lined into my computer through a guitar v-amp2. I'll see what I can do about it though. Thanks again for your time. You really have a lot of good suggestions.

SE īem all
12-19-2004, 12:38 PM
No suggestions from me, all I want to say is ........... Damned good song !!
Maybe you can write a tab ?? Or just the main melody and the arpeggio part ?? Would be very interesting ..........

MfG
Simon

Shadows
12-19-2004, 08:48 PM
Okay! This is it! I've uploaded the final version of The Apple Juice Song. I've made some mixing and some structural changes. Most importantly an outro solo. A lot of people has commented that the song got a bit boring in the mid and the end. That it became a bit repetative. I hope that I've changed this with these modifications. If you have the time please check this one out cause this will be the final version.

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/shadows0/

The Apple Juice Song!

No suggestions from me, all I want to say is ........... Damned good song !!
Maybe you can write a tab ?? Or just the main melody and the arpeggio part ?? Would be very interesting ..........

MfG
Simon
Thanks Simon it feels great to know that you liked it. Sure I can put up a tab if you want me too. It'll probably take a couple of days cause I've got a lot of things to do but I'll get it up.

doctorvetsill
12-22-2004, 07:50 PM
There is NOTHING boring about this! Great job! Hope the performance goes well!

Buebo
12-22-2004, 09:29 PM
I really like this song! Nice melody and excellent playing. My favorite part has to be the outro solo where you solo while the dual guitar melody keeps going. Really like the main theme as well nice twist you donīt expect the first time you hear it. The one thing I miss a bit is some more variation in the drum. But hey, you canīt do everything in 1 day!
Overall: Great job!

PS: On times like these I really miss the show and tell section, I mean this forum is about guitar technique (in the broadest sense) but why shouldnīt we have the opportunity to listen to the members and what everyone is doing!

JailHouseRock
12-23-2004, 07:06 AM
Nice song Fredrik! I like it. Good luck for your performance.

PS: On times like these I really miss the show and tell section, I mean this forum is about guitar technique (in the broadest sense) but why shouldnīt we have the opportunity to listen to the members and what everyone is doing!

I wonder why the forum was deleted??

progg
12-23-2004, 09:16 AM
This was very good indeed. Very nice playing right there. I liked the tone around 2:30 the best =) After that (3:00) I think it did get boring with the same riff for like 30secs but then it kicked in again. Great work this was. But you do need a german shouting "ACHTUNG!". That is always a good thing. =)

Shadows
01-10-2005, 02:15 PM
doctorvetsill: Thanks alot it feels great to know you liked it and yes the performance did go well thanks again :D

Beubo: Yeah I know that the drums could do with a little more variation the thing is that I'm really no drummer, this is actually the first time that I've even attempted to program drums and I've never, ever played drums before, well except for like two hours in music school but besides that, nothing. I'm working on it though because it's such an important part of the overall impression of a song. Regarding the outro solo, thanks alot. In the first few versions I didn't have an outro solo there but I noticed later on that the song became to boring so I added it to spice things up a little :D Besides the arpeggios that's the only part of the solo that I don't improvise when playing it live.

JailHouseRock: Thanks alot and yes the performance did go well :D

Progg: Hehe thanks alot buddy unfortunately I don't have access to a german shouting achtung, perhaps it would be sufficient with a swede shouthing it?

------------------------

To everyone: A couple of people have asked me about a tab and I have finally taken the time to write down the main melodies. I've also laid up a backing track without the solo guitar but with one of the two guitars playing the harmony. Unfortunately I don't have enough webspace to put it up right now so if anyone wants it you'll have to contact me on my msn, which is:

onkel_nilsson@hotmail.com

Regards Fredrik