PDA

View Full Version : Violin music

DanF
12-19-2004, 05:39 AM
Not your Yngwie's paganini stuff either!

I thought it appropriate to mention this since I noticed a new violin person on the board (welcome aboard ViolinMaster :P) I thought some (many) of you that haven't heard him would appreciate Stephane Grappelli. He was, I suppose, a jazz violinist, and his stuff is probably the most joyful music you'll ever hear.

You can buy some of his stuff on iTunes (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=746837) (link should open iTunes if you have it) or listen to some previews here (http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/card/0,,437799,00.html)

His note choice is great but what is most interesting (to me) about Grappelli is his sense of time and feel, nobody pushes and pulls the beat the way Grappelli did. If you really dig him like I do you should ask for the DVD "Stephane Grappelli: A life in Jazz" for Christmas ;) It's excellent and as a bonus to my guitar playing buddies, it includes all of the known footage of Django Reinhardt (Grappelli played with him in the Hotclub) also a little Martin Taylor if I recall (Grappelli's replacement for Django). Yehudi Mehunin (sp?) is also good, any other violinists (other than Itzhak Perlman, everyone knows he is the man) that you guys love?

-Dan

Los Boleros
12-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Nice stuff. thanks for the recommendation.

ViolinMaster
12-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Hee hee thanks ;). I'll be sure to listen to him.

SkinnyDevil
12-20-2004, 11:14 PM
Great recommendation, Dan!

I really dig Jean-Luc Ponty. I loved the stuff a few years around "Cosmic Messenger". He also did an album a few years back (gosh, like mid-90s or so, I think) with Al Di Meola & Stanley Clarke called "Rites of Strings". I was gonna pass at first because a lot of "super-group" stuff really blows (haha!!), but it was worth every penny.

I heard another guy (don't know his name) who won one of those international violin competitions a few years ago - played Pag's 24th in the finals. I figured he'd loose because of that...until I heard his version. Quick, overt slides during position shifts really breathed new life into it, and made Perlman's version sound somewhat tame by comparison. I wish I knew that guy's name!