PDA

View Full Version : First bass help

Iwantaguitar
12-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Guys my brother is thinking on buying a bass but which one would you recommend?? We went to see them at the store and we some distinct types and some of them had 5 strings and the others 4

which one is the best to buy for a beginner?????

british popular
12-31-2004, 03:20 AM
I'm not the leading authority on these things, but all I play is a bass guitar ... so.

Anyway, I'd recommend a four-string for a beginner. I just started a few months ago and I'm glad I didn't jump into a five, although it would've given me a head start.

As for the type, I got a P-bass Fender ... but it seems the local pros call on the power of their Gibsons.

That's all I know. :)

[P.S. Killa Beaver recommends an Aria Pro II or a Dean, as they're light ... I honestly and truly point you in the light direction. Don't be a hero.]

Alan of Mordor
12-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Fenders are definetly a good choice for a first bass. The action is high enough to give your grip a workout but low enough to not cut your digits.

mattblack850
01-02-2005, 03:12 PM
I'd definately start with a 4 string, I've been playing bass as long as I have guitar (just over 20 years), and found learning bass very enlightening toward theory on the guitar!! As for which type of bass to buy, there's a cheaper range of Ibanez basses that, for me, offer the most outstanding value for money I've seen. Check out e-bay for 'bass starter packs' and see what you come up with. Hope this helps.

Maarten
01-02-2005, 05:36 PM
I onc bought a relatively cheap Yamaha RBX bass to start with and I still happily use it(a lot) after 6 years.

mattblack850
01-03-2005, 01:39 PM
My main stage bass is an old Yamaha BB330, really cheap, single pick-up, it's been really abused but still sounds great through the Trace Combo!!

LuisSavesTheDay
01-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Peavey Millenium 4 AC BXP. It's four string, active pickups the same as the high end peavey cirrus. Since the pickups are active, it almost doesnt matter what kind of wood its made of. I get a KICK *** SOUND just from the on board EQ. Got it for $250 *New*.

(I know wood matters, its just that active pickups really make a difference)