PDA

View Full Version : melody help

js1000_lisboa
12-30-2004, 10:07 PM
hei you all.

just finished coming up with a metal riff to solo over, but i'm having a little trouble.
i develop the riff over a B major chord, an A major chord and a C major chord. what scales should i use besides the obvious A, B, C ones?
should i apply the circle of fifths?

thanks in advance

Factor
12-30-2004, 11:07 PM
hei you all.

just finished coming up with a metal riff to solo over, but i'm having a little trouble.
i develop the riff over a B major chord, an A major chord and a C major chord. what scales should i use besides the obvious A, B, C ones?
should i apply the circle of fifths?

thanks in advance
The easiest would be to find a scale which would fit over all of the chords.

The most basic approach would be to compare the notes which make up the different chord.

B major chord contains the following notes: B D# F#
A major: A C# E
C major C E G

If we add up all the notes, we get the following "collection of notes":C C# D# E F# G A B

If you use the circle of fifth, you can tell that these chords are fairly unrelated, especially the B major and the C major chord.

You can use the E major scale / C# minor scale / C# minor pentatonic over the A maj and B maj chord though, but for the Cmajor chord you really have to change scale to avoid heavy dissonance (unless that is what you're after :p )

Okey, Emajor scale for the A and Bmajor chords is a nice suggestion. After that is is really a matter of where the song is going next...

Hope some of that helped :)

Bizarro
12-31-2004, 12:58 AM
Are you sure they really should be major chords? As in Root, major 3rd, and 5th? :)

A short sound clip would help me decide what would work.

Los Boleros
12-31-2004, 01:07 AM
A short sound clip would help me decide what would work.Yes, that is quite a strange group of chords. It would be fun for you to post a rhythm track and see how different people annalyze it. I have a few Ideas but not sure what my tonality should be just yet.

js1000_lisboa
12-31-2004, 10:36 AM
ok guys. thanks for the help already given.

here's the mp3 file:

hope you like it.

johnvanlerberg
12-31-2004, 10:53 AM
I hate to get off topic, but how did you and what did you use to record that?

js1000_lisboa
12-31-2004, 11:17 AM
just a crappy microphone i have here. awful stuff but it was what i had.:rolleyes:

Los Boleros
12-31-2004, 03:00 PM
I get the feeling that this progression is in E harmonic minor but the A should be Am. If the A has to remain as an A major, then you could switch to E Dorian for that one chord for a jazzy sound but I think stayng in harmonic minor with an Am is the way to go. That's my take on it.

js1000_lisboa
12-31-2004, 03:23 PM
thanks a bunch Los Boleros.:)
your advice is to solo over with E harmonic minor right?
more advices are accepted.

7h3 J35u5
12-31-2004, 11:51 PM
I agree with Boleros completely. Now that I heard your backing that A power chord should be treated like an Am and the C can stay major but I'd personally treat the B as a Dominant chord. Soloing in E harmonic minor would probably be the best.

What would sound cool for an intro run into the solo is if you did an acending run in octaves playing the notes in groups of triplets:
A,B,C
Eb,E,Gb

Try it!;)
________
TZ750 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_TZ750)

Los Boleros
01-01-2005, 04:10 PM
thanks a bunch Los Boleros.:)
your advice is to solo over with E harmonic minor right?Yes, that is what I said. E harmonic minor with the B7 as your tonal center. (The A would be Am)

more advices are accepted.Heres a suggestion:

|B7///|Am/C7|In this case, the C7 brings out some kool emotions. You could slip in the Bb note during the C7 and resolve it up to the B or down to the A for the B7 chord. Heck you could just leave the C chord as a plain major chord and slip in the Bb anyway!

js1000_lisboa
01-01-2005, 10:36 PM
i really don't get the idea.:rolleyes: i'm sorry.

i use the do, re, mi, fa... system, y'know.
are you saying that i should change my chords? cause i'm using power chords as you obviously know, right? so, how could i change the notes in the chord?
or do you mean in the solo?
HELP, PLEASE. I'M DROWNING:(

Los Boleros
01-02-2005, 12:43 AM
i really don't get the idea.:rolleyes: i'm sorry.

i use the do, re, mi, fa... system, y'know.
are you saying that i should change my chords? cause i'm using power chords as you obviously know, right? so, how could i change the notes in the chord?
or do you mean in the solo?
HELP, PLEASE. I'M DROWNING:(My suggestion above could be used both ways.
leave the power chords alone and use the ideas for the scales.
use the ideas to change the chords.
both
none
I like the Idea of leaving the chords alone and using these ideas in the solos.:)

js1000_lisboa
01-02-2005, 12:07 PM
ohhhhhhhh! ok ;)

i'll try to come up with a solo. i'll let you all know when it's ready, ok?

hasta la vista