PDA

View Full Version : Where and how do I start learning improvisation?

johnvanlerberg
12-31-2004, 11:46 AM
Where and how do I start learning how to improvise on the spot? I can already do a little but it's just from learning from scales and stuff.. can someone be in-depthas to howto start learning this improv stuff?

rmuscat
12-31-2004, 11:51 AM
here's a post i posted this morning
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6996

check out the search option this question has been asked time and time again i'm pretty sure people much better than me answered this question

and also ... there only one way to learn swim, throwing yourself in the water ;) (not too deep though)

you need backing tracks or actual music to play along.

good luck! :)

johnvanlerberg
12-31-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks man! :)

I must have sounded pretty dumb asking a question lke that but it was damn worth it!

rmuscat
12-31-2004, 12:02 PM
no not dumb @ all - don't worry :)

wild_child
12-31-2004, 01:17 PM
better yet, work your way through these (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/cat/6) articles. That'll be enough info to last you a lifetime!

when it comes down to it though, the only way to improve is to just do it, but it certainly helps to have this kind of depth of knowledge to give you a head start. Improvisation is such an enormous topic and it incorporates every single aspect of playing. Better get started then!

Los Boleros
12-31-2004, 03:42 PM
Where and how do I start learning how to improvise on the spot? There is a difference between the hunt and peck method, which is all a beginer with no theory has, and a systematic approach. To begin with the systematic approach you will need to do alittle homework.
For starters, you will need to know how to finger the seven argegios of a Major/minor scale. This is key to improvising. These are the notes that work with the chords. (Or chould I say, these are the notes of the chords) Playing around the chord notes is the place to start.
Take the rhythm of your progression and find all the triad notes for each. At first play the full triads during each chord.
Whenyou are comfortable with that, try to create a single melodyline that connects from one note of one triad to another note of the next triad.
When you can do that, try inserting other notes of the scale inbetween all these harmonious notes to creat some tention.

That's it for starters.