PDA

View Full Version : Modes........................again!!!

mattblack850
01-05-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm not after such an in-depth answer as you'll see in a moment, phew!!!!!

Just after some suggestions that will help my ear pick out what I COULD be playing over the following.............

lets start with a slowish blues progression,say................

[:Am7 / E7#9 /, Am7 / / /, Am7 / E7#9 /, Am7 / / /,
Dm7 / G11 , Cmaj7 / Fmaj7 /, Bm7b5 / E7#9 /, Am7 / E7#9 /:]

Say it's played in a sort of 'Parisienne Walkway' pastiche, then the question is this:-

APART from A pent Min, Amin blues, A harmonic min, A natural min and certain chromatic runs within these scales, how would you look at this modally and what would you play where??

I'm just looking for things to help open up the fretboard, so any suggestions are welcome, cheers!!!

Malcolm
01-05-2005, 09:56 PM
As far as modes -- the three minor modes Dorian, Phrygian or Aeolian would be my first choice.

For a blues or rock feel I'd have to say Dorian would be the first one I'd try.

mattblack850
01-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Would that be A dorian, A phrygian and A aeolian?? (god, that's a mouthful, and I'm only typing!!!)
I'm presuming so because to my ear the overall tonality is in A min, but what about the descending 4th's, would there not be anything different over that?
I'm probably playing it without realising the actual theory behind it!!!

Factor
01-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Would that be A dorian, A phrygian and A aeolian?? (god, that's a mouthful, and I'm only typing!!!)
I'm presuming so because to my ear the overall tonality is in A min, but what about the descending 4th's, would there not be anything different over that?
I'm probably playing it without realising the actual theory behind it!!!

I would not really approach this tune modally at all. The decending 4th's are almost diatonic to Cmajor, until the "E7#9 Am" which is a ordinary V7-i in Aminor.

I would say that to try to think modal on this one would sound too out of place.

If you want to use some other scales: try the E super locrian over the E7#9. The E superlocrian is the 7 mode of F melodic minor. That would'nt sound bluesy though.

theox
01-05-2005, 11:57 PM
You got the chord tones, right? Put anything in between them as long as it sounds good! :D

UKRuss
01-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Right, first off I give full credit to Chris J and his excellent improv guide for all this information. Why he hasn't made a million out of this I still don't know but here's some ideas from it.

This is actually a bit of a test to see if I've got things right too!!

I guess as the guys above said too you're trying to pick a feel so you might have to pick and choose to get what you wanted sounding right but you wanted options so here goes...other than the ones you've already mentioned.

Am7 - A aeolian, A phrygian (F major, Bb in there) or A Dorian (Gmajor,F# in there) closely related to the Dorian using the F# is Bminor pentatonic which can be woven with your A minor pent and also E minor pent.

E7#9 - a couple of interesting options E altered scale (EFF##G#A#D), half/whole diminshed scale (EFF##G#A#BC#D) and I also think F melodic minor would work.

Same principals with Dm7 as Am7

G11 - E minor pent and Gmajor pent. G mixolydian.

Not sure about this one someone may correct me:
D melodic minor which is effectively G Lydian Dominant, could be wrong about that.

Bm7b5 - is surely B Locrian screaming out from every angle...if you so choose.

There are a myriad of options and I wouldnt even begin to tell you how to weave some of them together as I've really just started looking at this type of stuff. I haven't even mentioned any of the possible arpeggios as that's no strong point of mine from a technique point of view anyway.

I urge you to seek out Chris J's guide and I'm sure he won't mind if I point you the way of www.chrisjuergensen.com (http://www.chrisjuergensen.com)

Cheers, Russ.

mattblack850
01-07-2005, 04:32 PM
Cheers for all the suggestions guys, they've made me look at it from a slightly different angle, although, perhaps it wasn't the best prgression to base this thread on??

Russ, I checked out Chris' site. Man what a goldmine!!!

UKRuss
01-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Not if you wanted to retain a bluesy feel, but you might get some jazzy/blues type thing going on with all those options.

Great site eh!