PDA

View Full Version : creativity

shredder123569
01-07-2005, 06:41 AM
does having a good ear multiplie your ability to be a creative song writter?

rmuscat
01-07-2005, 06:49 AM
well this is opinion but a good ear helps you think of defined music and makes the music in your brain more crisp! Not something shaky and hazy like an old memory.

So that will easily translate to really audible music.

I am assuming by good ear you mean the ability to understand intervals etc (continuation to your other thread).

But there are other issues. How used is your ear to hear different stuff? Its like it needs to get used to different note/rhythmic combinations (e.g. not strictly major or minor, maybe jazz minor or harmonic minor - i know people who hear them "wrong") and that can only be solved by listening/playing to stuff made up of them.
[edit - i'm not referring to you although it might sound like it -- its just my style of writing sorry]

The best way i found to help my "creativity" is to listen to other people playing. Listening to others breaks barriers like nothing. You go "hey i didn't think that was possible" how can i use that?

so multiply IMHO NO -- help yes

well this is my opinion at least i could be way wrong :rolleyes:

Maarten
01-07-2005, 08:37 AM
I'd say it's the most important thing for songwriting.

whopwooper
04-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Hey groovy bastard

I thinks that's your favourate saying I saw that in another thread of yours talking about C-balh balh 13 chords or something?????;)

No,... but I kind of laugh to read that again because..........It's so true
I find to analyse every single technical perfection your just going to tie yourself in knots in no time...........

As to this thread all I can say is.......In your blood.....Not in your blood Talent untalented.....etc etc.........There will always be geniouses out there to keep the rest of us on our toes and bricking it.....Thank god!!

All I think is music is not a science it's a wierd thing we can't see Which from time to time has the ability to stand our hair on our ends if you like it and recieve the vibes in you soul.

Creativity is like a transistor ---ie: IDEA= 0--= at some point a your first dilema of a simple yes/no decision just like a transistor switch.......
If that's to abstract lets say we have a tree.....at some point it is going to forK off in 2 directions..........:confused:........Just like the difference between a good groov or an ungroovy idea

Creativity is the same and you have to develop the instinct of which branch to take to a further stage in the creative chain..........After a while
the decissions come instinkitvley ;)........

Los Boleros
04-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey groovy bastard

I thinks that's your favourate saying I saw that in another thread of yours talking about C-balh balh 13 chords or something?????;)

No,... but I kind of laugh to read that again because..........It's so true
I find to analyse every single technical perfection your just going to tie yourself in knots in no time...........

As to this thread all I can say is.......In your blood.....Not in your blood Talent untalented.....etc etc.........There will always be geniouses out there to keep the rest of us on our toes and bricking it.....Thank god!!

All I think is music is not a science it's a wierd thing we can't see Which from time to time has the ability to stand our hair on our ends if you like it and recieve the vibes in you soul.

Creativity is like a transistor ---ie: IDEA= 0--= at some point a your first dilema of a simple yes/no decision just like a transistor switch.......
If that's to abstract lets say we have a tree.....at some point it is going to forK off in 2 directions..........:confused:........Just like the difference between a good groov or an ungroovy idea

Creativity is the same and you have to develop the instinct of which branch to take to a further stage in the creative chain..........After a while
the decissions come instinkitvley ;)........Wow, that was some heavy duty stuff there.:D

I agree with the groovey one. Ear has everything to do with creativity. How many good song writers do you know that can't sing or don't have a good ear?

oRg
04-20-2005, 02:15 AM
I say yes definitely. I'm going to be taking a college class this Fall called Music Theory I. As far as the theory goes I have been told I know it all pretty much (simple stuff like Key Sigs, Major/Minor stuff, triads, and a little bit of modal harmony), but the reason I'm taking it is becuz of the Ear Training and the Sight Singing. This will help tremendously in my playing and has becuz I couldn't wait for the class so I have been practicing this lately. I don't have the best voice but I can still hear the notes in my head. I'm hoping that once I become increasingly proficient with it, that I will be able to come up with better solos (other than the old "diatonic-up and down srtings thing").