PDA

View Full Version : My First Guitar--Oh....my GOD.

Bongo Boy
05-18-2002, 06:51 AM
So just bear with me..no one I know has any interest in music or guitars.

I picked up my instrument today and I can't even begin to describe the experience. I'm unable to sleep. I've bloodied the fingers of my left hand (figuratively speaking) and just can't get enough--and I don't have the slightest clue as to how to play a guitar.

...but this thing just plays on its own, I think. I'm blown away at how I accidentally stumble onto 60's stuff that sounds like it must have been recorded using this guitar or one just like it!!

If you're old enough to remember stuff like The Standells "Dirty Water" (ah..boston you're my home), and The Turtles (Happy Together)--well, that crap comes out of this guitar like magic. How fun!!

I want to thank everyone here for the encouragement--running this thing (Gibson ES-135, BLACK) out through a Hafler studio amp and little 'reference' monitors at relative low volume is just priceless to me. This has been one of the greatest days I've had in years--no kidding.

I think I'm going to hyperventilate now--and polish fingerprints off this thing some more :) Thanks for bearing with me--I'm okay now.

TaikaJim
05-18-2002, 07:50 AM
Glad to hear you had a good first experience. I dont remember me being that excited when i played my first guitar.
Also, now im jealous for that es-135.

EricV
05-18-2002, 02:41 PM
Hey Bongo Boy

Glad itīs such an enjoyable experience for you. Reading your post reminded me of my first electric guitar... I built it with a friend of mine.
A Telecaster-copy made of three boards of plywood connected by screws ( Hey, we were 10 at that time )... the pickup was a microphone we had taken apart.
We plugged that "guitar" into two taperecorders... one of them had a weird thing going on with the input level, so we actually had distortion...
That was wild. The strings were so high off the fretboard that the only way to play that thing was to use a slide...
Needless to say, I worked hard on my paperroute so I would be able to get a real electric guitar ASAP...
And I remember the excitement about that...

Let us know about your further progress

Warm regards
Eric

NP: The Corrs- Unplugged

Guni
05-18-2002, 02:44 PM
Cool Bongo!!!

Sounds like ya had a great start :D

Guni

Bongo Boy
05-18-2002, 06:16 PM
Thanks for not scolding me for my over-exuberance--I apologize for getting a bit out of hand. I'm just overwhelmed at how nice it sounds (fret buzz and all my other crude errors notwithstanding). Didn't mean to be quite so in-your-face with childlike excitement--it's just a little embarassing.

But I still feel that way!!!! :D

nickwellings
05-19-2002, 05:49 PM
If you can keep the wonder and excitment you feel now for the guitar, and keep it for the years to come, you'll go far.

Good luck Bongo!!!!!!!!!!