PDA

View Full Version : Jemfest Germany 2005 coming up

EricV
01-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Hey guys

Just like last time when I announced the Jemfest ( back in 2003 ) I hope this is not considered spamming... after all, it´s a charity event and for a few Euros, the people who attend get to see several workshops and performances.

Anyway, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept and past of Jemfest, check out http://www.jemfest.com
It´s an international guitar charity event, and the profits go to Steve Vai´s Make A Noise Foundation. ( http://www.vai.com/MANF/index.html )
Each artist performs for free, and several companies as well as Mr. Vai donate prizes for the big raffle at the end.
Some of the ibreathe-members have been at the last Jemfest Germany ( Oct. 03 ), and its a good opportunity to meet and be in "guitar-mania-mode" for a whole day.

This year, the german one ( we also have Jemfests in the US and UK, and more are being worked on ) will take place on January 29th in Pulheim / Germany ( close to Cologne )

Here is the lineup so far:

ABI VON REININGHAUS
website (http://www.abi-r.com/)

MARCEL COENEN
website (http://www.marcelcoenen.com/)

GERMAN SCHAUSS
website (http://www.germanschauss.com/)

JASON STOLARIK
website (http://www.jasonstolarik.com/)

mini sets (2 songs) by

MARTIN BEHR
website (http://www.martinbehr.de/)

ERIC VANDENBERG
website (http://www.alnico-records.com/evb/)

RICKY GARCIA
website (http://www.rickygarcia.com/)

So Abi, Marcel, German and Jason will perform full set, and Ricky, Martin and me will do mini sets ( all three of us have performed at the last Jemfest Germany, thats why )

From 1 PM till about 5.30 PM there will be workshops by the artists mentioned above ( this time I´ll also have hand-outs for you people =) ) and I´ll prolly wear my Ibreathe-shirt when I do mine ( again ) =)
Mini sets will start at 6.45 PM, full sets will start at 7.30 PM. The last one to play will be Abi, entering the stage at 10.30 PM. At 11.30, there will be the big raffle with some cool prizes.
Again, all proceeds ( other than the money required to pay for expenses such as PA system etc. ) will go to the Make A Noise FOundation.

So anyway, if you´re in the area or if you´re willing to drive a bit, I would be happy to meet you there. It´s definitely worth some effort, since for a fe bucks, you´ll get to see a couple of hours of workshops and concerts.

Anyway, here are some more external links, and I hope to see you there !

Steve Vai News:
http://www.vai.com/News/index.html

Thread at the Vai forums with even more details on the schedule etc:
http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8629

Jemfest site ( click the german flag for details on Jemfest 2005, or use the menu on the left( expand the Jemfest Germany-button to see some pics, videos and reviews of Jemfest Germany 2003 ) or check out the "Radio &TV" section to listen to some free interviews with Vai, Satriani, Timmons, Greg Howe etc.
http://www.jemfest.com

Eric

PS: I apologize if anyone considers this spamming, I hope it´s obvious that neither do I get a profit out of this, and that it´s very much guitar / music related and maybe a good opportunity for our members to meet.

CaptainCarma
01-12-2005, 09:52 AM
eric is right,
jemfest is a great opportunity to meet a lot of people who are breathing music as much as most of us do.
AND it is one of the very few chances to watch those high - calibers share the stage.
don´t miss...

EricV
01-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Marc, thanks a bunch for those comments
By the way, I am sorry I didnt get back to you yet. I DID receive your email, but I have a bunch of emails piled up, and wanted to take my time with a reply to you. Maybe we can even talk in person on Jan. 29th ? Would sure require less typing =)
Eric

CaptainCarma
01-12-2005, 10:08 AM
that´s ok. let´s just have a talk at jemfest. I do love the spoken word more than the written, too. see you then. :)

EricV
01-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Ok, awesome, looking forward to it...

By the way, talking about Jemfest and seeing that Ryan posted... anyone remember those streams I used to do ? The "unofficial Ibreathe radio" shows ? Did like 3 or 4 of them, each one lasting for about 2 hrs. Check out this thread for some playlists and a "forum post conversation" that took place while the stream was on:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3804

Problem back then was that it didnt allow for more than 3 or 4 people logged into the stream ( unless you run a dedicated server, it would be hard to allow for more people to be on... and I ran those shows from my home system ), but I would be willing to do one more of those... a Jemfest stream, featuring songs by the artists who have performed at Jemfest in the past, maybe focussing on Marcel, Abi, Ricky and Martin ( dont have much music by the others, unfortunately ) since they´ll play at the next one.
Anyone interested ?
Thanks
Eric

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 11:54 AM
That would be cool Eric!

I'm defintely going to see if I can get a UK possee together to make the trip to Jemfest too! I went to see Rob Balducci and Richie Kotzen a few weeks back and I wanted to talk to Rob about Jemfest UK as I think he played last time over here. I had a brief chat with him but forgot to get into the Jemfest discussion.

AshC/MattBlack, you up for it?

We're all in the southeast, I'll drive.

Finally Eric, where do we get IBreathe T's from, would be rude not to wear one and at least we'd be easily identifiable when we get there!

If we get along I'll hope to catch up with you.

phantom
01-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Russ that would be aaaaaawwwweeeesome!!

i hope to come as well! would be so great to meet you all there!
come on ashc! russ is driving!

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 12:00 PM
Top quality Sven, will be great to meet you!

That was exactly my next question: Is Sven coming?

I'm going to clear it with "mission control" (the wife) this evening!

phantom
01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm going to clear it with "mission control" (the wife) this evening!

oh yes...i remember. hey maybe you can steal yourself away in the shadow of the night... just like a ...phantom. wuhaahaahaaa.

you'd take the tunnel?

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 12:16 PM
She'll be cool, she's a cool gal. That's why I married her:D

Well if the guys are up for it here it would make sense to drive and I'd probably get the ferry as close to the final destination as will allow. On the other hand I'm thinking flights are sooooo cheap at the moment that might be the way to go.

I'll check it all out later and see what the score is. Fly into Koln. Taxi straight to venue on the day, hotel local overnight, fly home. easy.

phantom
01-12-2005, 12:21 PM
hey, if i'm coming, i can take you from the airport to the venue. i guess a taxi would be da*n expensive.
i have 3 free seats.

we'll sort that out later then ;) .

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I might take you up on that!

Easyjet flights £50 return, no problem!

CaptainCarma
01-12-2005, 01:47 PM
hey cool,

at first I thought it was meant as a joke, but hey...cool.

@russ, if you need some info or help in cologne, lemme know.

Koala
01-12-2005, 02:18 PM
If the carpool decides to go by mexico, please make sure you guys lemme know :D.
If you do make it together itd be nice to then see your comments about it. Good luck!

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 02:40 PM
No joke. Wife will miss me but essentially she's cool with it.

CaptainC, do you know much about hotels local to the venue? Does everyone generally stay somewhere specific?

What about you Sven? I guess you won't be driving all the way back to Stuttgart.

I've checked out the website and can't see anything about tickets or costs to get in etc. What's the score on that front?

I need to get a handle on the total cost. How much will the hotel be approx.?

How much cash will I need on the day?

Anyone know how best to travel if I bring my guitar on the plane? Do I need to bring an amp? I'd love to get into some of the workshops and therefore would like to bring the guitar.

Sorry for so many questions, I'm really lookling forward to it!

Koala, looks like I'm going to be on a plane, so I'm afraid I can't swing by in the motor to pick you up! Can't one of those Mexican VW's drive across the sea? I bet they could be modified!

phantom
01-12-2005, 02:52 PM
What about you Sven? I guess you won't be driving all the way back to Stuttgart

i just checked and saw that i am in the netherlands from 28 to 29. i'm going by train and i'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get off the train close to cologne.
(don't even know if i pass cologne on the way... duh!).
if i am there, then i have to get to the venue as well somehow. da*n - no phantom car can help this time.
maybe the captain has a idea. as for sleeping i know one or two people in cologne where i can stay for that night.

if you take the plane, put the guitar in a gigbag and take it with you inside the plane! there shouldn't be a prob. if yes, the stewardess can put it in a safe place inside the cabin somewhere.. i know that.

looks like it's getting complicated for me, but i will manage it somehow.

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 03:15 PM
See how it pans out closer to the time.

Rizla
01-12-2005, 04:51 PM
So the jemfest thing is only in Germany? I am sure I seen something similar going on in the UK a while ago. I like Germany, I wouldn't mind going if it was the 29th of feb instead. Take photos

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Yeah, there is a uk one too every year, date not known at the moment.

We should defintely try to get all the UK Ibreathers to get to that one, I'll keep my eyes on their website for the date.

Right, I'm speaking with a mate of mine who is out in Berlin later. I've decided if he wants to come along I'm defintely going to Germany. If he isn't, I won't.

...I'm hoping he's up for it!

EricV
01-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Rizla, as promoted on the jemfest site ( www.jemfest.com (http://www.jemfest.com) ) it´s an international event. So far, it´s happening on a regular base in the US, UK and Germany ( there should be a UK Jemfest later this year ), and more countries will have them soon ( we hope ).
It´s kind of a network. A Jemfest in, say, Italy would have to be set up by a local guy, guided and supported by the Jemfest "comitee" in the States. So I hope more Jemfests in more countries will happen soon...

Russ:
First of all, it would be AWESOME if you could come to that Jemfest ! Not only because it will be a wonderful support for the charity purpose, but also because it would be cool if some Ibreathe members could meet and hang out there !
Anyway, regarding the questions:

The Ibreathe T Shirt I have is a "prototype". Guni handed me one at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt 2002. Mine is pretty worn, but I´ll still wear it proudly that day. I think there were plans to sell them on the site, but I dunno what´s the situation on that these days

CaptainC, do you know much about hotels local to the venue? Does everyone generally stay somewhere specific?
There are links to some Hotel-websites in the JemfestGermany-thread right here:

I havent checked out the links, but I guess at least one should have some english translation, or maybe someone can help you ?
I didnt stay at a hotel last time, but I prolly will this time, since I´d enjoy to hang out with my friends Abi and Ricky for a while...

I've checked out the website and can't see anything about tickets or costs to get in etc. What's the score on that front?I dont know if that is decided on, otherwise I´d call Ricky to gimem a clue right now. But last time, the entrance fee was € 6, I believe, which I consider a pretty modest price for almost a full day of free workshops, live performancers and "hanging out"
Well, I just called Ricky and talked to his g/f, and she told me that the fee will prolly be around € 8 this year...

I need to get a handle on the total cost. How much will the hotel be approx.?
You´d have to check out the websites in that Vai forum-thread, but Ricky´s g/f told me there are rather cheap hotels ( like the one in Frechen ) where you might get a room for about 25-35 €. She was estimating, but I assume she is about correct...

How much cash will I need on the day?Well, as I dont know about the hotel prize ( let´s say €30-35 though ) and how much you´ll have to pay for transportation, let´s see... entrance will be about €8, drinks ( soda, water, juice ) at the venue are not too expensive. I think they sell snacks for a moderate prize too. You might wanna eat at a diner or some fast food place.
At the Jemfest, you can buy tickets for the raffle, but I dont know how much those will be ( the proceeds of those go to MANF, and prizes were donated. I just heard that Ibanez is gonna donate a guitar, too ! ), so if you wanna take part in the raffle, maybe estimate 5-10 € for a couple of tickets.
Most artists prolly will bring merchandise and / or CDs. I will donate 1 or 2 of my CDs to the raffle, and will sell the rest, and I guess MArcel and Martin will too... so if you wanna buy those, add another 20 or so.
I cant give you an estimateof what you´ll have to spend altogether, but I hope the info above helps a bit...

Anyone know how best to travel if I bring my guitar on the plane?
I recommend take it onto the plane yourself and ask the stewardess to put it into the wardrobe... each plane has those, and when I travel by plane, I always have the stewardess put my guitar there. Never had a problem. Prolly won´t fit into the overhead bin anyway.

Do I need to bring an amp? I'd love to get into some of the workshops and therefore would like to bring the guitar.I was just about to say that. Yes, PLEASE bring your guitar. Several of the people did last time and had it in their hands during our workshops. They also jammed and stuff, and in between workshops and the actual performances, there was some time to jam on the stage... a few guys did so, using their guitars.
Amps should be there ( Ricky brought some small combos for people to plug into ), so a guitar will be all you need to bring.
Hope this helps
Eric

EricV
01-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Russ, I hope your friend decides he wants to come to.
OK, here is a special offer.. if you are interested ( I dont know whether this is that much of an offer )...
If you decide to go there, and you want to, I´ll offer you an exclusive "ibreathe guitar lesson". There´ll be some time in between the workshops and performances to hang out and chill. Usually, we ( Ricky, Martin and me ) spent that time answering questions and chatting with people in the "lobby"
However, if you are willing to go there, I´ll offer you a free guitar lesson. I dont know if you care about that at all ( you prolly know my style, so I dunno whether this is interesting for you ), but if you do, you´ll get a 101-lesson, promised :)
Eric

UKRuss
01-12-2005, 08:14 PM
WHHHAAAAATTTTTT! Really? YES! I'll take you up on that offer!!

That is a very, very generous offer and one that is way too good to turn down!!!:D :D

I shall be there, ain't nothing going to stop me!!

Thanks for all the excellent information on the why's and wherefore's of the venue, costs, hotels etc.etc. That's put it all into perspective for me. I shall bring enough to enjoy the day and make some additional gestures towards the charitable nature of the event of course.

I will definitely, definitely be coming!

...I'd better get practicing!

Thanks once again Eric and see you on the 29th!

Carvinite
01-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I am envious :D I wish I could go. Hey Eric, that JEMfest Radiostream would be awesome, PM me about it when it happens :D

EricV
01-12-2005, 09:14 PM
LOL, ok, RUss, it´s a deal then ( of course you know that if it just isnt possible for you to come, you don´t HAVE to ! ) =)
I am glad you like the offer. I just wanted to offer you something to make that big trip a bit more worth-while. I am sure you´ll get a kick out of the workshops and performances, but if I can make it even more attractive with a 101 lesson, it´s a pleasure. I cant tell yet how much time we´ll have ( a lot of people like to ask questions there, and also I am looking forward to hang out with Ricky, Martin, Marcel and Abi again ) but I´ll do my best to make it like 45 min to an hour ( maybe we can split that up into two smaller sessions that day )
If you feel like it, write down some questions in advance...
Thanks
Eric

EricV
01-12-2005, 09:21 PM
...oh and Ryan, I am sure we´ll get a chance to meet and of course, if you want to, we can do something like that then.
Ill post if I am ready for a stream, Ill prolly do that on sunday night ( GMT+1, so noon to early afternoon for you )
Expect tunes by Jon Finn, Rob Balducci, Marcel Coenen, Ricky G., Martin Behr, Abi von Reininghaus, Rusty Cooley and others... all of them former and future Jemfest performers. And of course, the occasional song by the guy who inspired it all... that Vai-d00d =)
And whatever else I can dig up
Thanks
Eric

Koala
01-13-2005, 04:17 AM
Guys forget about the carpool....Im actually getting married Jan 29th...and I dont think I can cancel :D...yes im serious....gettin hitched....sometime in the future i´ll post n update on all thats goin on over here....crazy stuff.
have a great jemfest!

UKRuss
01-13-2005, 08:12 AM
Way ahead of you Eric! Got questions all sorted already.:)

I don't want to take up too much of your time as you've got to enjoy your day and see your friends too, so however you want to play it on the day is fine with me.
I spoke to my friend in Berlin yesterday and it just gets better...his brother works in Koln but is currently out of the country so we can stay in his apartment. So that's it, i'm definitely coming on the 29th.

Really looking forward to it!

Ryan, I hope to take some great pics and post them somewhere for everyone to enjoy!

Koala: Congrats! All the best to you and your wife to be!

Looking forward to the Sunday stream as well, that'll get me even more in the mood for a guitar festival!

CaptainCarma
01-13-2005, 09:34 AM
@russ:

as you can see, eric is always a little faster than me ( this time answering your questions ) . :) anyways, if you´ll be in need of a city guide, I am your man. ;)

EricV
01-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Koala, man, congrats on that !!! Well, that was kinda the only excuse I´d accept for you not coming to the Jemfest that day ! ( j/k) I wish you and your future wife all the best

UKRuss, if you wanna get some extra mileage out of it, drop me a hint ( either here or via email: vandenberg@alnico-records.com ) at what kinda topics you wanna talk about, and I´ll try to prepare some stuff to bring for you ( TABs etc. )...

Marc, I was hoping you´d chime in, offering help. You´re a way better guide for the Cologne area, and maybe you have some additional info on hotel prizes ?
BTW, since you´re in Cologne.,.. have you seen the Queen musical at the MusicalDome yet ? I saw it on Dez. 29th ( christmas present from my g/f ) and I liked it lots ( well, could have done without the german version of "Radio GaGa", but the band rocked big time ). Seen it yet ?

Eric

CaptainCarma
01-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Marc, I was hoping you´d chime in, offering help. You´re a way better guide for the Cologne area, and maybe you have some additional info on hotel prizes ?
BTW, since you´re in Cologne.,.. have you seen the Queen musical at the MusicalDome yet ? I saw it on Dez. 29th ( christmas present from my g/f ) and I liked it lots ( well, could have done without the german version of "Radio GaGa", but the band rocked big time ). Seen it yet ?

Eric

- since russ mentioned that he´ll stay at a friends appartement, I decided to stop my research regarding hotels. but the mentioned 35-40 euro are a very good offer for this region.
anyways, if someone needs additional info regarding travel, hotel, transfer, nightlife etc. just send a pm.

"queen": no, I haven´t seen it yet. in general, musicals aren´t really my cup of tea. but in this case,... hmm who knows, after all the good reviews that I´ve read and your comments about it. we´ll see...

UKRuss
01-13-2005, 11:17 AM
Eric, again many thanks!

The main areas I would love to get some help from you are probably age old amateur problems which I suffer with:

1) All my faster runs have that 3nps, triplet feel to them and in places they sound exactly like that, running up and down a scale (mainly I use pents, mixo, major,minor and now a bit of harmonic minor).

I'd like to learn, and have some practice tools, how to blend the classic scale "shapes" better and retrain myself to be able to play semiquavers and use some 4nps patterns rather than triplet type patterns all the time.

2) You've probably seen from my recent posts I'm trying to build in more arpeggios into my playing, any tips you have on how and where to use them to integrate them into improvisation would also be great.

I know we'll be limited on time but anything I could learn from you in either of those areas would make my day!

I'm really stoked about the thing, it's gonna be great!:D

CaptainC, Marc:

Thanks for you offer of assistance on info. There is something you might be able to help me on and I'll pm you, it's in regard to Koln/Pulheim trains etc.

ashc
01-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Hey wow! I've been sleeping here on this thread... This sounds cool... I would have been interested in this. Sadly, I'm away on holiday :mad:

UKRuss
01-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Shame! Keep your eyes peeled on the Jemfest website though as I think we should all really make an effort to get a crowd of UKIbreathers along to the UK event later in the year.

ashc
01-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Worse, I had the month wrong, I'm not on holiday, but no jubilations for me as I still couldnt do it. Let see if the UK one comes off !

EricV
01-18-2005, 01:17 AM
By the way, everyone... keep checking the Jemfest website and the thread at the Vai-forum, cuz all news / updates will be added there !
Also, I have a new website addy after all the trouble with the provider... http://www.ericvandenberg.net

So... WHO IS COMING ?
Marc, Russ... I assume that MatthiasB. ( student of mine ) will be there... Sven´s gonna try, so who else is coming ?!?
Eric

UKRuss
01-18-2005, 01:34 PM
BTW, way the flights work out and all, looks like I'm gonna be at the venue at around 3pm. Taking the 2.08pm train out of the airport, half hour ride, then taxi to the venue.

Hey, thinking about it, what happened to the Sunday night stream?

phantom
01-18-2005, 01:46 PM
hey!

it looks good for the phantom!
since i would have to change trains in köln at about half past 2 anyway, i guess i can just stay there and try to find the venue.

i'll have to sort it out in detail, but it looks good! makes me a happy phant!

UKRuss
01-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Man! You just know your going to get on the same train I'm on coming through Koeln Bahnhof from the airport.

err.. I'll be the one with the gigbag:D

Looks like a taxi ride from the BHF in Pulheim to the venue, easy enough though.

Just double checked the schedule and noted I'm gonna miss Eric's cool stretch pentatonics workshop!! GRRR. Eric swap with someone later in the day:cool:

Someone please grab all the handouts for me from the first two workshops!

phantom
01-18-2005, 02:28 PM
oh really!?

is it at köln at 2.41 p.m.?

stretch pentatonics workshop

i can give you one on the train then.... :D

taxis are d'n expensive over here.. we might find a cheaper solution.
you know.. every 2 euros saved is half a liter beer more!

UKRuss
01-18-2005, 02:33 PM
No thats not the one, only takes half an hour to Pulheim from the airport, so I shall be in situ in Pulheim at 2.35ish already.

Would be way cool if we can have jam when we get there though eh?

phantom
01-18-2005, 02:34 PM
hell yeah.. looking forward to that!!

UKRuss
01-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Damn straight!:D

EricV
01-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Russ,

I am sorry but I don´t think I can swap with any of the other dudes regarding workshop times... I could ask Ricky, but I assume we´ll try to stick to the schedule as it is now.
I´ll try to save up a handout for you ( although Ricky is the one xeroxing them for me ), and if I forget ( or no one else saves one )... well, I have the handout saved on my harddrive in word- and pdf-format, so you´ll get it one way or the other =)
Also, I could give you a quick walkthrough of it during the lesson...

Looking forward to meeting both you and Phantom there !
Eric

EricV
01-18-2005, 02:48 PM
...and regarding the stream... I wasn´t home Sunday night, and since no one asked, I figured people weren´t interested anymore. I can still do it some other day ( next Sunday ?! ) so everyone who plans on attending will have a better impression of some of the artists who´re gonna play there
Eric

UKRuss
01-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Of course! Cheers Eric.

Well, if the stream goes ahead this Sunday I'm in. I'd like to hear some of those dudes play before the following weekend.

EricV
01-20-2005, 12:34 AM
Just wanted to let ya know... Ricky just updated the info in the vai-forum-thread about Jemfest:

So entrance fee will be €7, and it´s gonna be €1 for each raffle ticket...
Eric

rmuscat
01-20-2005, 07:29 AM
guys make sure you have lots of fun ok?!

Keep us posted on how it went and jam a bit for me too :)

EricV
01-20-2005, 08:58 AM
LOL,, thanks a lot, man
We sure will, and of course, there´ll be reviews and pics ( either here or at the Jemfest site ). Too bad you can´t be there
Eric

satch_master
01-20-2005, 09:46 AM
yeah i recently found about jem fest. there coming to melbourne australia soon too. i live in sydney so its a bitch ( but if i realy wanted to go i could go but 2 far 4 me)

satch_master
01-20-2005, 09:46 AM
hey ericv , r u playing oz awell? australia

EricV
01-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Hey there

I would LOVE to ( I always wanted to go to Australia ), but unfortunately, it won´t happen... I prolly could, but the thing is, it´s a charity event, and I´d have to pay for the flight, hotel etc. myself.
I wouldn´t mind combining a performance at the aussie jemfest with a vacation with my g/f soon, but I don´t think that´s gonna happen anytime this year.
It will be worth a trip though, cuz Jemfest always has a killer line-up, made up from some of the best national players...that´s one of the purposes of Jemfest: a charity event featuring local / national players.
I would love to play at Jemfest in other countries, but as I said, since it´s a charity, there´s no big budget for travel expenses and such. And there are plenty of awesome players in Australia, so they wouldn´t need me for that anyway
Eric

Lowthorpe
01-20-2005, 04:10 PM
I'd have loved to go but I've only just noticed this thread now and it's a little short notice for me now. Have fun. :) You UK folks bring me something pretty back eh? :D I'd definately go to to a UK one.

Nick

EricV
01-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Hey guys

3 more days ( actually, 2 1/2 ) to go... I am really looking forward, and I hope the ibreathe members who are planning on attending are too !

Anyway, I just added 2 "Jemfest Diary entries" to my site ( http://www.ericvandenberg.net )
Either use the link in the news-section or go to "Misc."->"Thoughts"...

Abi von Reininghaus unfortunately won´t be able to play there... he is really sick right now ( caught a really bad flu from his kids ), which really bums me out. There´ll either be another performer being added to the line-up, or each of us will play one or two more songs...

Anyway, I am really looking forward to meeting some of you guys ( again, in some cases )
Eric

phantom
01-30-2005, 11:00 AM
:mad:
great.. yesterday was the jemfest and i was witing to go there for month..
i had to stay in the netherlands just a few hours more since work wasn't finished and came home at night. (still isn't and i have to go there again on monday - just came back for 1 day :( ).
i missed the whole thing and meeting my ibreathe pals which sucks so bad.

now let me see those pics and hear the comments to make me really jealous!
Waaaaah!
damn.

UKRuss
01-31-2005, 08:47 AM
No problem Sven, I got the stories to rub salt into the wound...;)

Nah, seriously I was gutted you couldn't make it we had a great day and you would have enjoyed it loads!

First just to say if you haven't been to Koeln before then get over there it's a great city! Last time I was there was 1985 so it was great to see it again over the weekend.

A big Hello to the two guitar scrotes I shared a taxi with from the station to the venue, keep on rocking little dudes!

Everyone was very cool, kind and welcoming I spoke with some great guitar players and huge thanks to Eric V for the time you spent with me talking through stuff which is going to enhance my improv hugely! Cheers man!

All of the other guys too are top blokes Ricky Garcia and his organisation, and a top guitarist too, Jason Stolarik makes that strat sing and is a thoroughly decent guy! German Schauss for mind bending speed and you cannot see his fingers move...no really you can't it's crazy. Martin Behr great player and a thoroughly nice guy!

I didnt get much of a chance to see Marcel play and I missed his workshop too...maybe he though we were trying to avoid him...but thats just the way it worked out.

Everyone was gutted Abi wouldn't be playing but if anyone gets the chance to catch his stand in at any time, a French guy called Marcel Vigne I think his name was, wow, top guitarist, inventive rhythm changes and some real melodic lead work.

A big hello to my new friend CaptainCarma! Marc it was a pleasure to meet you man and I hope you've now fully recovered from your birthday hangover! I've never seen someone drink as much sparking mineral water in one day!

Of course, I bigged up IBreathe at every oppotunity and tried to encourage all the pro players to visit us and lend some of their insight with us when they get the chance, they could only enhance our already great community here.

I've a few photos too and without boring everyone to tears I shall post a select few when I get the time.

Just to say I had a great time, thanks to everyone who made me and my mate feel welcome, we drank alot of Kolsch on Saturday night and it was one hell of a weekend!

rmuscat
01-31-2005, 09:06 AM
sounds awesome dude!!! thanks for keeping us updated ...

keep them coming :D

EricV
01-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey guys

I havent been home yet, but I will be tonight, and then I will post a review myself. Also, I have a couple of cool pictures from one of my students who attended the show as well... will put those onto the site.
Russ, once I am home I will prepare that ptb-file for you and send it, ok ?
Eric

UKRuss
01-31-2005, 11:41 AM
You're a true gent Mr Vandenberg!

Thanks for your all you time and support.

EricV
01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
OK...

Russ, thanks a lot. Same to you ! I just sent you an email with the powertab-file... pay attention to the performance notes in there =)

Everyone else, I just put a short review of the day onto my website ( http://www.ericvandenberg.net ). Also, a small new picture gallery is up at the "Media"-section...

There´ll be a video-report of the show, since everything was filmed and all artists were interviewed... so there´s gonna be a "documentary" up at the Jemfest-site rather soon.

As mentioned in my review, the day was awesome. it was a pleasure to play there and do the workshop, and it was great to see and hear all those other guys... you should have heard some of the shredding that was going on when we warmed up backstage... or when Marcel and me traded axes and just fiddled around. Awesome player, great person.

Anyway, it was wonderful, and a pleasure to meet Russ, as well as seeing Marc again ( I know of at least two other ibreathe members who where there... MatthiasB. and Julian, both students of mine )

Eric

EricV
01-31-2005, 10:53 PM
I just got some more pics by Russ ( thanks a lot, man ! ), so we added those.

Also, I wanted to share those links with you, in case you haven´t checked out these sites yet:

Ricky G: www.rickygarcia.com (http://www.rickygarcia.com)

Martin Behr: www.martinbehr.de (http://www.martinbehr.de)

Jason Stolarik: http://www.jasonstolarik.com/

German Schauss: http://www.germanschauss.com/

Marcel Coenen: www.marcelcoenen.com (http://www.marcelcoenen.com)

Abi von Reininghaus: www.abi-r.com (http://www.abi-r.com)

Also check out the sites of these two guys... they were the ones who filled in for Abi, who got sick... and both did an awesome job. Great players and nice people:

Frank Schiphorst: http://frnk.tk/

Pascal Vigné: http://www.triplefx.net/

Anyway, sorry if this looks like spam... it´s not supposed to be, just some kind of "aftermath" of the Jemfest =)
Eric

UKRuss
02-01-2005, 07:48 AM
Pascale Vigne! That's the name!! I thought I had it slightly wrong...great player though, enjoyed his stuff!

Glad you liked the photos. Let me know if you'd like the rest. I have some of all the other players too.

EricV
02-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Hey Russ

Sure, I´d love to see those. Maybe I can then forward them to the Jemfest people to put onto the site, or forward them to the other artists... of course making sure your name gets mentioned. So if you could send those, please do.
Thanks in advance
Eric

PS: I am in touch with Pascal... I missed the chance to trade CDs with him that night, but we´re gonna do that now via snailmail, and I´ll let you know what the album is like

CaptainCarma
02-02-2005, 09:46 AM
so, after I had the chance to finally recover...

...man, jemfest ´05 was awesome. great players, great people ( russ, eric, jason, martin... ), great and friendly atmosphere.
damn´ I´m still lacking the right words to express my experiences.

anyways, thanks to ricky for this wonderful event.

and a big "thank you" to "chocolate"-russ, it was a great pleasure sir.

UKRuss
02-02-2005, 01:15 PM
LOL...yes the chocolate..

We found the museum on Sunday, thanks for the directions! Kids and wife suitably furnished with choccy gifts from Koeln.