PDA

View Full Version : Joys Of Homerecording / Soundfile

EricV
12-23-2002, 09:38 PM
Yo, I was hanging around with a friend of mine, and he has got a small homerecording-setup ( harddisc-recording ). He wanted to test it, and so he asked me whether I wanted to come over.

So I brought my JMP1 and the sequencer and we experimented a bit. The results can be heard in the MP3 I linked to below.
The backing track is based on the Garsed / Helmerich song "Loch Rannoch", and since I am preparing some sort of article about Brett Garsedīs playing, I tried to emulate his playing a bit.
This are just a few take-solos we quickly "slapped" onto the backing tracks, all those little mistakes still included.
It was fun though, so I thought "Why not put up the MP3"... the solos also have some of my favorite stretch-pentatonic licks in there...

Here is the link:
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/rannoch.mp3

Oh, and Merry X-mas
:)
Eric

ampedout
12-24-2002, 03:29 AM
Hey Eric, I was going to check out the quick takes but then you stated "all those little mistakes included" and decided not to bother. I recently read a really good article ahh somewhere... that relates to having someone hear your demo, riffs, takes, whatever and...... I'm pulling yer leg. I checked it out and it sounds cool. What type of digi-gear did you use to track these runs? Also, I did enjoy the " Tude" article, nice piece. As far as all those little mistakes, hell, you smoked em right bye me. Have a cool merry holidays.

Bizarro
12-24-2002, 05:54 AM
Eric,

That's a nice recording for a "slapped" together project! I wish I was able to do that!

Your guitar tone came out really nice. I didn't notice any flubs. I can't wait for your album to come out!:)

What effects did you use?

EricV
12-24-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by ampedout
Hey Eric, I was going to check out the quick takes but then you stated "all those little mistakes included" and decided not to bother. I recently read a really good article ahh somewhere... that relates to having someone hear your demo, riffs, takes, whatever and......
LOL, I knew that someone was gonna say that =)
I guess I had that coming

[i]I'm pulling yer leg. I checked it out and it sounds cool. What type of digi-gear did you use to track these runs? [i]

Well, it actually was the Vandenberg through the JMP1 straight into the soundcard. Some slight chorus and reverb from a Quadraverb.
Software used was, belive it or not, Wavelab, and we used the "Natural Verb" plug in to add some reverb to the tracks... also used Auto-panning for the fast tapping-fill at the end...

Thanks and
Merry Axe-mas
Eric

EricV
12-24-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bizarro

Your guitar tone came out really nice. I didn't notice any flubs. I can't wait for your album to come out!:)

What effects did you use?

Thanks, I am glad you like. Well, flubs... you can hear some mixing-errors... we did some editing, and there are some breaks in there which sound odd...
I described the setup and effects above... Quadraverb for some flanging, Wavelab plugins for autopan and reverb...

Thanks
Merry Axe-mas, pal
Eric

Shred Fan
12-28-2002, 07:43 AM
Not bad at all, for a quick recording it came out pretty good. Nice tone there Eric, not to mention the mega display of chops.

EricV
12-28-2002, 03:45 PM
Thanks a lot :)
I had the drummer of the EVB listen to it, and he was like "Uhmmm... somehow it reminds me of rain" :)
Eric