PDA

View Full Version : Wasbhurn N2 - What pickups??

T.P.
01-30-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey there! I wanna buy a washburn n2 guitar. I found 1 via internet but I'm not sure what pickups this guitar has.. My friend said it has (or should have) Bill Lawrence (bridge) and Seymour Duncan '59 (neck) but I found some reviews on internet saying it has Bill Lawrence and second one - some crappy washburn-something (neck). I got some photos of this guitar, maybe you could tell me what the pickups are. Here is a link: http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=39703890
Thanks,
Tom

Bizarro
01-30-2005, 09:18 PM
According to Washburn's website the N4 has this: "A Duncan '59 and a Lawrence L-500"

I doubt the cheaper N2 has those pickups, but I could be wrong.

That guitar in the link is funky. I don't what it is, but it doesn't look like a stock N2. It has a Jackson Floyd Rose bridge!! The body is at least 3 different pieces of wood (look at the shading). It doesn't have the N4-style Stephen's extended cutaway on the neck-body joint. And the pickups both have a funky little W on them which means they are NOT Lawrence or Seymour Duncan pickups!

Very suspicious!

SeattleRuss
01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
That guitar looks like a stock N2, except that that Jackson bridge is not.
The less expensive, Korean-made N2 didn't come with the Bill Lawrence pick-ups or the stephens-cutaway.....
I used to work for a Washburn dealer back in the day. The Stephens cutaway was designed by Stephen's Stringed Instruments, here in Seattle.

There was also an even cheaper model (N1 or N3??) that had no locking tremolo and was this nasty green color. Being a Washburn dealer, I had to grab a couple of those for Nuno to sign when Extreme played at a now defunct club called Under the Rail. He was pretty cool considering that his own Washburn double-neck had just been stolen the night before at a gig. Somebody just grabbed it off the stage and walked off with it! Anyway, when we gave him the guitars to sign, he commented that they were the ugliest green he'd ever seen and that they were not even close to the color that he'd agreed upon with Washburn.

I really dug that Extreme show BTW. They were touring in support of Waiting For the Punchline , which I thought was great. Kind of a departure from their over-the-top-vocal layering and 80's production style. Much more raw. I guess the new direction wasn't enough to help them in the states, as they succumbed to the ravages of the "Wave of Grunge". To illustrate their decline in popularity, I had to practically give away those N(?) Green guitars, even though they were signed by Nuno!

Oh yeah - I'd steer clear of that guitar because you don't know if the person who switched out the bridge assemblys knew what they were doing. Buy it only if you can play / inspect it first.

Russ

T.P.
01-31-2005, 08:41 AM
And what are the pickups in Korean version of N2? How do they sound? Ok? Or it is some kind of crap? I was going to pay for this guitar something around 450$. I know it's a lot for a used guitar but in Poland guitars cost like 2 times more than in US.

Tom

T.P.
01-31-2005, 09:45 AM
When you take a closer look you can read names on that pickups: 623 (b) and
?01 (n) but I still don't know if they're good enough (not crappy)... I guess changing pickups would cost me about 80$ so it's not that much. Do you think the guitar is worth buying? It's 4 years old but it looks really good (i got some extra pictures from seller). It's so hard to decide. It's much easier to give other people advices!

oRg
01-31-2005, 08:20 PM
I know it'd be hard but I would definitely steer clear of that guitar. It's been through some tough days and not to mention it's been modified by god knows who. Your not sure if this guy is experienced enough to equip the guitar properly with a Jackson tremolo. I would definitly get a better guitar. With current exchange rates the 1650 Zloty (sp?) is about equal to 531 USD so I would definitely get a better guitar.

mattblack850
02-01-2005, 09:32 PM
Looks like a standard N2 to me. The 'W' on the pick-ups is just a Washburn 'W' or should be (possibly 'Warmoth' replacements), but as the bridge isn't original doesn't mean the pick-ups are either!! As suggested before, if you can get to play it first then do!!!

mattblack850
02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
When you take a closer look you can read names on that pickups: 623 (b) and
?01 (n) ?01 should be 601 representing 6 strings.
n = nuno
b = bettencourt
The numbers are the pickup models for the string spacing.

SeattleRuss
02-01-2005, 11:06 PM
When you take a closer look you can read names on that pickups: 623 (b) and ?01 (n)

More like (n)=neck and (b)=bridge.

Those "W" marks are definitely "Washburn" marks. I'm pretty sure those are not original - even though the cheaper N2 didn't have the same pickups as the nicer N4, as I remember it did have some sort of blade type humbucker in the bridge position and some sort of push-pull configuration on the volume pot that was really kinda cool, and something the N4 *didn't* have.

I think the bridge pickup (at least) was replaced with a cheaper Washburn one.

phantom
02-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Please note that iBreatheMusic does not support gear questions (See the announcemnet at http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/forumrules.php )

We recommend www.harmony-central.com for detailed gear reviews and discussions.

This thread has been closed.

Thanks