PDA

View Full Version : I've got the intro...please help!

Wylde fan
02-12-2005, 04:05 AM
Well, I'm writing a song, and I have the intro to something that I really like. I've been listening a lot to earlier In Flames, and I'm trying to write something in their genre, melodic-death metal.

Now, like I said, I have the intro, and I'm in major need of help. Can someone tell me what scale (if any) the notes are? And if you guys have any suggestions, throw them out here!

Here's the file:

Grovesy
02-12-2005, 05:01 AM
Well, i'd say you're using the notes of the E Phrygian Scale, which is a common scale in metal (it's Db Phrygian if you consider that you tuned down to Db, but lets pretend you're using normal tuning). That's the most likely scale, i couldn't tell you for sure because there aren't enough notes there to know.

Not that I'm all that experienced on this kinda thing; but I find when you get stuck, listen to your first riff and then think of a cool drum beat that would continue on from there; i find it's easier to build a riff from the drums upwards.
Maybe you could have one guitar play an E5 chord just as a pedal tone, and the other one play around with a phrygian lead pattern.

Btw: E Phrygian = E, F, G, A, B, C, D, E.

Wylde fan
02-12-2005, 05:14 AM
Thanks. See, I wanted the scale so I could create a lead pattern. Thanks so much for helping! Anyone have any comments?

Grovesy
02-12-2005, 05:17 AM
Don't feel like you're restricted to phrygian though, if you've just got the E or E5 in the background you can play pretty much any scale starting on E (except maybe those with a b5); depends on the effect you want.

Wylde fan
02-12-2005, 05:27 AM
For now I think that sticking to E Phrygian and E Ionian would probably be a good bet. I don't want to limit myself, but I don't really want to go overboard either.

Thanks for the help!

Poparad
02-12-2005, 06:21 AM
Don't feel like you're restricted to phrygian though, if you've just got the E or E5 in the background you can play pretty much any scale starting on E (except maybe those with a b5); depends on the effect you want.
That would be a really interesting sound; switching from a minor sound (phrygian) to parallel major sound (Ionian). (Parallel meaning starting on the same note, in this case E).

Even better, I think switching to E lydian would be cool. It's the same as the major scale (Ionian) but the 4th is rasied a half step. The notes would be E F# G# A# B C# D# E. It's quite a contrast from E phrygian.

Wylde fan
02-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Hmm, that's an idea. E Lydian...I quite like that idea. I'll try it out a bit later. Any comments on the actual song though?