PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Scales and Users.....

Simon3
12-30-2002, 07:03 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me when to use strange scales like whole tone and diminished and how to use them effectively in different styles of music. (eg: heavy metal, etc.) Also could you tell me who uses these scales and how they do so, aswell as any others that spring to mind. Finally I would like to ask who uses each of the major scale modes and how they do so.

szulc
12-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Have you ever heard of Robert Fripp or John Scofield or Mike Stern?

Nearly all Blues Players use the Minor and Major Pentatonics with choice 'Blue' notes added.
Jazz Players use Diminished, Wholetone, Melodic Minor, Harmonic Minor, All the modes.
Heavy metal Players prefer Aeolian and Harmonic Minor mostly(And Minor pentatonic).
Flamenco players favor Phrygian and Phrygian Dominant.

the1andonly
12-31-2002, 08:04 PM
Diminished Scales: used over diminished 7 chords, usually in some kind of cadence

Whole Tone Scale: used over diminished, augmented, dominant, or augmented dominant (7#5) chords
artist example: Steve Vai, Chris Brooks

Harmonic Minor/Phygerian Dominant: modes of each other, usually used with a dominant chord leading to a minor chord (like B7-Em) artist example: Yngwie Malmsteen, Carlos Santana

Melodic Minor: used in a similar way as harmonic minor, but used more by jazz and classical musicians.

Lydian Dominant(4th mode of Melodic Minor) sometimes used over major or dominant chords in jazz and prog
Artist Example: John Petrucci

Altered Scale (7th mode of melodic minor): used over dominant chords for a real outside sound by jazz musicians.
Artist Example: John Scofield