PDA

View Full Version : Counting

szulc
12-31-2002, 04:22 PM
I am curious how those of you who had formal trianing in Berkelee or some similar training were taught to count, tuplets.
For instance 1+2+3+4+, or 1e+a 2e+a for 1/8 th and 16th notes.
1 a a or Trip e let for triplets. I count quintuplets as 1 Quin tup l et. How were you guys taught to count 16th notes, quintuplets sextuplets, septuplets, 32nd notes, nontuplets etc... ?

the1andonly
01-01-2003, 08:31 PM
for sixteenths, I count " 1 and ee uh 2 and ee uh.." for sextuplets, i count " 1 and uh nuh and uh...." as for the rest, I've never really come across them in music so I couldn't tell you.

szulc
01-01-2003, 11:45 PM
You meant this didn't you?
1e+a 2e+a

Chim_Chim
01-02-2003, 09:59 AM
I'm not trained in any way and this is all new to me but see what you think of this?

I'm just counting the 1st beat except for the first example.

straight eighths = 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 (etc.)

triplets = 1 trip let

sixteenths = 1 ee and uh

quintuplets = 1 quin tup l et

sextuplets = 1 uh sex tup l et

septuplets= 1 and uh sep tup l et

32nds = 1 ee an uh thir ty sec ond

nontuplets= 1 ee and uh ee non tup l et

Chim_Chim
01-02-2003, 10:19 AM
Two small corrections...

on the 32nds the an should be an and like the other examples

and the nontuplets should read:

nontuplets = 1 ee and ee uh non tup l et

==================================
it's just easier to say the syllables that way

I'm kinda tired right now :o

metallibeast
01-02-2003, 10:43 AM
What's up?

After a while do you guys end up juz counting only the down beat...1 2 3 4 rather than the the whole rhythmic pattern like 1 and 2 and....?

-Beast

Guni
01-02-2003, 11:09 AM
I honestly can't remember what the Berklee way was/is. I kinda used my own system that I used before going there.

For basic patterns they use this:
8th: 1 and
16th: 1 e and e
triplet: 1 and the

For odd combinations I use words like dallapicola (quituplets).

metallibeast has got a point. Once ya get used to the feel for even (8ths 16ths) it's a matter of getting used to double and half time, just feeling the beats of a meassure.

Bizarro
01-05-2003, 06:33 AM
I just grunt a bunch of nonsense... :D

Seriously though, I don't count anything like that at all. All that stuff is internalized somewhere.

I tap my foot, more or less in time. :eek: The rest is just knowing what it should sound like and going for it!

The Mechanix
01-05-2003, 12:17 PM
At the guitar institute in London, I was taught to count:

triplets: 1-2-3, 2-2-3, 3-2-3, 4-2-3 ...

and

semiquavers: 1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4, 4-2-3-4 ...

I found this way alot easier and more intuitive than

one e and er. (Not that there's anything wrong with that way, horses for courses...)

One cool thing we learned was for two semiquavers and a quaver to say "popadom", and for the reverse to say"dom-popa" (ok, it's not strictly a word but it still works:D )

I thought Guni's dallapicola was brilliant, thanks. I find this word method really helpful and much easier to visualise (although can lead to strange looks if talking out loud:o), so if anyone's got any others I'd be really grateful!!

np - chaos a.d. - sepultura

potshot
01-19-2004, 09:17 AM
I only just saw this thread, hope no one minds me digging up this thread. I reckon it's great :D

The Mechanix: That poppadom and dom-poppa thing is absolutely brilliant. The way I say that word is spot on the rhythm, it's cool! :D

As for my method, I guess I'm pretty similar to the others:

8ths: 1 and
16ths: 1 e and a
triplets: 123 223 323 423

I find that triplet method better than going 1 and a or some such thing, because I'm used to "and" being at the half way point. The1andonly's method for 16ths I would guess like szulc is a typo, cos 1 and e uh would totally throw me :D

As for quintuplets and septuplets, a friend told me two good ones:

quintuplets: "Aborigine", which, at least in Australia, is said with the right emphasis for the quintuplets.

septuplets: "Peanut butter sandwiches"... How can you go past that? :D

DracWell
10-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Just thought this would be kinda fun.

They way I count (being Swedish and all)
8th = En Tv Tre Fyr
Triplets = En s Tv s Tre s Fyr s

For dotted 8ths against 4th (saying the whole rhythm):
Hopp Sa Tat-te Ga-llopp

For for 4th triplets against 4ths:
Jn-ta ja

Haha.
The only ones I use are the last three.
For 8th and 16th notes I count = Ta-te Ta-te and Ta-ba-te-be