PDA

View Full Version : problem with my songwriting...

Omni
03-11-2005, 02:41 PM
hi

i have a big problem and i makes me kind of nervous and angry :mad: :

the problem is: i have a little chrod progression with a melody over it, or a little riff and thats it. i have many of these little bits, but i can't find a B Part that fits well to the A part. hmm... i hope you understand me :rolleyes:

for example:

i have the Progression Cm, Gm, F, Gm and a melody. my melody is very sad and i want to hold this athmosphere the whole song. what is a common technique to find a nice pogression that underlines the first one , but its something new. You know these B Parts that fill you with a warm feeling, because it totally fits to the art before?

i know my ears have to decideo and so on and so on, but before they can decide, it has to be something there to decide over. So again what is a theroretical way to solve my problem?

thank you and excuse my english -> i am from germany

:D

GuitarDreamer20
03-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Hey Omni,

Don't know if you'll even see this, but I'll give it a shot...

I'm in the same boat as you. I've just starting writing songs (even though I've been playing for about 7 years). But its coming along, and I remember when I had the same question as you. What I did was just start recording my stuff. Record your main chord progression, and then your melody. After you do that, sit back, and just listen for a while, see what ideas come floating into your head. Put down your guitar, and LISTEN. You could take the theoretical approach also of course, but I think you'll be better off just listening! I promise you you'll come up with an idea.

Also, don't stay on one piece for ever. If it's not coming to you, work on something else you've written. Some songs come together easier than others. I remember reading somewhere where Joe Satriani had the melody to "Lords of Karma" for the longest time, for years. The problem was he just couldn't find a suitable rhythm guitar part. He just kept going back to it, and then eventually he found the perfect one. So if you get stuck and nothing seems to be working, come back to it the next day, or in a few, or a week or so.

I hope this helps!

Mike:)

=Bob=
03-28-2005, 10:36 PM
You could try transposing your basic riff to another key, then either invert it or reverse it (retrograde) or do both. I do this for ideas, sometimes I like it so much it becomes part of the finished work. I believe music needs contrast, so maybe you're trying to make something that matches too closely. Mix up the rhythms, mix up where the accents lie. Change key. As was mentioned before, record what you have so you can play it back and be free of the instrument temporarily while you try out some things. Try out different variations. I personally love abrupt changes in music and angular melodies. Let yourself go! Show us a sample of what you're working on too, that always helps me understand where you're coming from...
=Bob=

joe89
04-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Building on what Bob said you could change keys quite easily.

G natural Minor
G Melodic Minor
G Harmonic Minor
G Phrygian
G Dorian

There are many possibiltys and just muddle about with the changes and see wat happens. On the other hand you could have a bit were it changes from Gminor to cmajor for a brief moment and it will probably sound nice and you can easily change back.... Hey its just an idea:D

GHerman
05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I often use the relative Major/Minor key for a B part. For instance, your composition seems to be in Cm, so the relative major key would be E-flat. You could also look at your song as being in Gm (iv, i, VII, i) and the relative major would be B-Flat. You can start away from the one in the new key (maybe Dm, B-Flat which is iv, I in the new key).

Aarontrio
05-24-2005, 05:01 PM
I totally recomend recording it and listening a lot. The key is to get what you have stuck in your head. Then hum along. Where does it seem to go? You should be finding notes on the guitar long after you have them in your head. This will result in a very listenable melody/progression, and more often than not, result in a tune that sounds more inspired and original than if you were to write it on the guitar. Catchy huh?