PDA

View Full Version : Guitar sight reading....

underfaced
03-15-2005, 03:33 AM
Okay before you attack i did search and couldn't find anything really on this most of it was classical sight reading.....

But next year i signed up for Jazz band and i need to learn to sight read for guitar..I am in a music theory class right now but its for piano and i did transcribe a guitar part over to piano but it wasn't on target with the notes. When I try to read it i get confused about where what note is and its all a mess in my mind.

So my question is...without recommending a book due to lack of money....is there anyway i can learn guitar sheet music?

and if there is a thread like this i am sorry please point me the right way and ignore this mistake.

Poparad
03-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Most of what you'll be doing in a jazz band is reading chord changes, so get comfortable playing different types of 7th chords from a chart. Perhaps you can ask the director for some copies of the charts just so you can do some practicing and get used to reading them. Directors are always happy to help someone out who wants to put extra effort into something.

As for reading notes, just pick up anything that has notes on it. You'll rarely be reading actual chord voicings for guitar, which is more common for pianists to do. Occsasionaly you'll have single note lines to read, so pick up anything that has lines in it, for any instrument, and just practicing reading it. It'll be slow at first, but keep working at it and it will get faster.

cardello
03-15-2005, 06:08 AM
usually the notes you'll play in a line will all belong to one scale, or will switch scales according to what chord you're playing over at the moment. The best way to learn how to sight read, imo, is to find a position to play in and play the lines that way. if you encounter notes that are outside of the scale you are playing in, just stretch your finger a fret to reach the note.

this assumes of course that you are at least moderately comfortable w/ all of the notes up and down the fretboard

silent-storm
03-15-2005, 06:21 AM
There is really no difference between learning how to read for jazz and learning how to read for classical. Certain things may be stressed in more advanced study but learning to read just implies learning where all the notes are on the fretboard well enough that you don't really have to think about it anymore. And there's only one way to do that. Just sit down for about 1/2 an hour a day with notes in front of you and play. Doesn't matter what it is or where it came from. If they are notes they are good.

This will be very frustrating at first because you will have to take a HUGE step backwards and play some VERY simple music which is why a lot of guitar players don't learn how to read. My suggestion is to look on the internet. I'm sure you practice scales and if so, just practice reading scales instead of patterns...you could even write them out yourself. Start at the bottom of the guitar neck and start slowly working your way up.

There is really no easy, or even practical, way of going about this...it's just like everything else...you just gotta sit down and do it.

yingski
03-16-2005, 09:00 AM
Here, go to this site and knock yourself out:
http://guitar-primer.com/Charts/index2.html
I suggest that you play everything in more than one position. I also suggest that you learn to play scales in the cycle of 4ths that helps alot to orientate on the finger board. There is enough jazz theory on the guitar masters site to choke on so.....