PDA

View Full Version : new song idea, need help on rhythm

cardello
03-29-2005, 06:21 AM
guys (and girls) would you all please critique this new song idea? I am looking for input on rhythm i.e. how are some ways to vary it up? and lead.

thanks a bunch!

Link (http://www.arches.uga.edu/~cardello/newsong.mp3)

Shadows
03-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Don't do a 100% L/R pan. Double the rhytm guitar and put one to the left and one to right and put the solo guitar in the middle.

It sounds more like a jam than a song now. Try to make some catchy phrases that really stick in your head and then build your song from those.

cardello
03-29-2005, 03:56 PM
yeah, it is pretty much a jam - my roommate came up w/ it and we embellished it a little. just trying to figure out what kind of avenues i could explore with it - thanks for the input

yeah, i am just too lazy to adjust the pan and what-not for a 'jam'. ;)

Mateo150
03-29-2005, 05:57 PM
That song is groovey as hell. I end up doing stuff like that a lot... that's my "we always seem to find the same old jam"... in good times or bad. It can stand as is IMO, just add a bass and drums and maybe keys if possible, add jovial lyrics.... Presto, memorable fun groovey song. If you play that with a band, I'm sure you'd naturally come up with alot of different stuff. Myself when I do stuff like that, which is a lot, tend to add a lot more chord partials and chromatic type of leading triads, (which you seem to already have a lot of), such as maybe just playing that Db octave, the note on the dsting 11th fret and the 14th fret on the bstring. Stuff like that. You guys are more theory fused than I am for sure and since it was only guitars you had to stay on the groove a bit tighter, but there's not that much lacking there.

BTW: Was that a David Bowie line I heard in there at 2:20 and around 3:11?

I'll trade ya a Divided Sky tab for a Bowie tab if ya have.

-I'm not exactly sure, off the top of my head, I believe in the song "Fluff's travels" theres a very small section in that song that seems to have a similar groove as what your playing, it only lasts for maybe 30 secs or so... but how its traveled upon may help ya.

-wasn't fluff's travels, it was contact that I was thinking about. And that groove isn't much like yours, but you may still get ideas from it.

cardello
03-29-2005, 09:39 PM
don't worry, i know aaaalllll about the phish :D

:edit: i've actually never learned bowie or divided sky :eek: but I listen to way too much phish. after taking another listen, that 'bowie lick' you're referring to is me playing successive Eb, Dm, Cm arpeggios back into G dorian / minor pent etc...

Mateo150
03-30-2005, 11:03 PM
I was grooving over that rhythm for a while, had a little bass line in my head at some parts...

Maybe if you really want it to be minor before that major part, you can emphasize it this way... of course I think some good slap happy bassist would sound better funkin along with ya...