PDA

View Full Version : An old recording / Beginnings

EricV
01-06-2003, 02:37 AM
or... "Everybody has to start somewhere..."

Gee, this is cracking me up. Today, I was digging through a box of old tapes, and there was one entitled "Hellion".
"Hellion" was an old band of mine, actually the first band I was in that actually played gigs. We were playing "Classic metal", covers by bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.
Later, we also changed our name and started to play original material until the band eventually split.
Anyway, I had been playing only a few years back then, and I made some recording of my progress at several occasions. Now, some of these recordings where on that tape. A few years ago, I edited that stuff... filtered out some of the background noise, added a reverb ( too much of it ), the joys of digital editing, yīknow. So just for the heck of it, I transferred it to the computer again and made an MP3 of it....

Anyway, I figured I might share this with you guys. Itīs a solo, similar to the unaccompanied guitar solo I played when we played a show.
You can tell that I had been watching Paul Gilbertīs first video and had been listening to some of his stuff with Racer X, but I didnīt exactly get close to his accuracy. ( should have used less gain, but I had this cool Marshall-amp back then... )
So here it is... recorded when I was like 16 or 17 or so. ( Wish I still had a pic... stretch jeans, a flying V, the whole nine yards... )

Everybody has to start somewhere (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/solo1.mp3) ( about 2.2 mb )

Have mercy :)
Eric

EricV
01-06-2003, 02:47 AM
And the guitar it was recorded on:

http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/eric/v1eric.jpg

....go figure...
Eric

Danster
01-06-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by EricV
or... "Everybody has to start somewhere..."
Dang man, if that was your start, where the heck are you now? That sounded pretty awesome. How long had you been playing at that time?

EricV
01-06-2003, 10:25 AM
I started when I was 10, and this was recorded 6 or 7 years later. Still kinda sloppy.
And regarding where I am at now... for a while, I stopped working on picking technique and stuff like that, and then had to work on getting my chops back together since I was focussing on legato and all that stretch-pentatonic stuff a bit too much.
Hanging out and jamming with Thorsten K. is a big inspiration to work on that picking-stuff again =)

Thanks, glad you like it
Eric

Shred Fan
01-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Nice stuff Eric , not bad at all, for an unaccompanied solo. What's that last lick you played? Sounded like Mozart, it was definately classical based (I know I've heard it or something very similar to it before, just don't know what piece it is)

Eric, I have to ask you. Did you actually paint on the F-Holes on your Flying-V? Pretty cool, definately got the Gilbert thing happening there.

And lastly , whats the chance of you posting some of your Maiden/Priest covers? (I'm just interested in hearing them)

EricV
01-06-2003, 11:37 AM
That last melody is my version of "Old Sailorīs Horn Pipe" ( also featured in "popeye" ) :)
Used it as a warmup a lot back then...

The F-Holes were spray-painted on... might look cool on the pics, looks pretty bad close-up... but hey... those were the days :)

And... about putting up more of the covers, Iīd have to ask my former bandmates ( didnīt talk to them in years ) for permission... the band didnīt sound that bad, but the singer sucked, so I dunno whether I wanna put it up =)
Thanks
Eric

Shred Fan
01-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Hahah, "Old Sailor's Horn Pipe" , Mozart it is not, my mistake.

Yeah I knew I had heard it somewhere, just couldn't put my finger on it...I thought it may have been a classical piece...but now that I listen to it again (it is a bit hard to recognise with all the distortion and gain) it is that piece I've always known as "some pirate melody". Not bad, nonetheless.

If it is to hard to post the other songs you did don't worry about it Eric, it's cool.

EricV
01-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Well, Iīll see what I can find...

And in a minute, Iīll post a TAB of that melody.

I was using a bit too much gain back then... I watched the Gilbert-video a lot, but didnīt pay attention to the fact that his sound is pretty dry...
Eric

EricV
01-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Here is the TAB

Shred Fan
01-06-2003, 11:55 AM
Great , you're posting a tab. Soon we'll all be picking away at that good old pirate song (getting some weird looks from family and friends no doubt, lol).

As far as gain goes, I love it but when your playing sea shanties it can make them a little hard to recognise. Eric, what do you recommend as far as amp EQ goes for a dry Gilbert Sound (pedals excluded).

I've been using these settings to get a rough type sound for a while now...

Gain - 10 (yeah , I'm what you call a "Hi-gain Freak")
Bass - 5
Mids - 2
Treble - 10

You could probably do better but one day I was fiddling around and it's been on those setting since, what do you recommend for a Gilbert or Malmsteen Sound?

EricV
01-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Wouldnīt bother me if people would try playing it, itīs a good picking exercise ( the end is a rather typical scale sequence ) :)

Regardings sounds, it certainly depends on what kinda amp and guitar you use. My main Vandenberg guitar is equipped with DiMarzios, and those really have some high output... if you play a pretty clean sound, they still kick the amp into some moderate overdrive to get that harsh, Gilbert-style sound.

I have seen the settings on one of Paulīs amp somewhere, and on his old Lee Jackson-Marshall, he sets the gain between 5-10 ( depending on what sound he is going for ), Presence 7.5, Bass 2.5, Mids 4-5, Treble 4...
I set my amp to similar settings, although I prefer to use more bass. For the instrumental stuff, I use higain-sounds and usually more mids.
Again, it definitely depends on the amp you use, and the guitar you use.

Malmsteen... Hmmm, youīd need single-coils, and Iīd say more gain, less treble / Presence, also, check out what you can do with the mids...
Hope this helps
Eric

Shred Fan
01-06-2003, 12:23 PM
Yeah I'm gonna try the good old "Pirate Song" out.

I was just asking about mainly just a basic guide (yeah I know there are a million factors that can influence it) for EQ settings on amps. Thanks for the guide though (Bass 2.5, Mids 4-5, Treble 4).

BTW, Yngwie does use single coils but the Bridge is actually a stacked humbucker (just for anyone out there who cares).'

Overall , I love the humbucker tone more, but single coils do have their use.

Anyways, back on topic. Once again, a mean solo there man, you do some nice work , looking forward to the new album (what I've heard from it so far is good).

EricV
01-06-2003, 12:26 PM
By the way, here is the even cooler second part of the melody. I didnīt play it on the recording, but I did live. It involves sweeped arpeggios ( weird to see what kind of techniques are required to play a "simple" melody like that ).
Please note that this is my arrangement of it. I didnīt have a recording of the original. I had heard it a few times and tried to figure out the melody, so if some of the notes are not like in the original, donīt blame me :)
Eric

EricV
01-06-2003, 12:33 PM
And hereīs a Powertab-file of the whole thing...
Eric

Thorsten
01-09-2003, 06:58 PM
Hey Eric! My computers back working again so I checked your soundfile. Man you rock! Your soloīs way, way ,way, way ,way, way ,way better than anything I played with 16. I actually really like your lead-sound also...but get rid of the reverb!

C U soon,
TK

EricV
01-09-2003, 08:21 PM
Well... this was the sound back then. As you might know I use less reverb these days anyway.
And hey, regarding your technical abilities at 16 / 17... dude, I saw the video, so I know youīre júst being modest :)

See ya this weekend, huh ?
Eric

Thorsten
01-09-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey...I think I was a little older in the video...guess I learned pretty quick.;) I have a tape from one of the first gigs with my old highschool band when I was around 16. Iīll play it to you this weekend just for a laugh! Can you say PUNK...

Call you tomorrow!
TK

P.S. Damn!Now I gotta find that old tape again...

EricV
01-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Hey Thorsten,

cool... itīs gonna be fun to hang out and jam again... One of these days we gotta transfer bits of your video to the computer for your site... maybe we can use some bits for ibreathe too...

So anyway, talk to you tomorrow, and weīll jam on Sat. or Sun.
TWANG !
Eric

Guni
01-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Hi guys - sorry for interrupting :D

Thorsten, I completely forgot about upgrading your membership! Just saw 'Junior Member' in your profile!!

After your cool contribution (http://www.ibreathemusic.com/play/article/54) to iBreathe ya gotta be at least an advisor, right ;) Doesn't pay much but some hidden resources equal this to getting a Grammy :D

Account upgraded!

Have a great JAM guys

Guni

EricV
01-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Well, "Ibreathe RockStar" would be more appropiate, but... :)
And yeah, itīll be fun jamming...
Thanks Guni...
Eric

Thorsten
01-10-2003, 07:25 PM
(Grammy mode On): Thanks,( snif), thank you, thank you sooo much (applause) I would like to thank my manager, my record company, my lawyers and of course my fans! I love you all!!!;)

Guni
01-10-2003, 08:33 PM
LOL :D