PDA

View Full Version : Question about pitch in notation....

leppard81
05-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Im finally teaching myself to sight read and I get better every day now; but what bothers me is: If a middle-C-note is i.e. on the 10th fret/D-string, its on the 1st low guide line (right word?) of a G-clef-staff? Is this right?

If so, the C-note on the 3rd fret/A-string is within the F-clef-staff, right?

Im asking because I played the C on that low guide line on the 3rd fret/A-string or 8th fret/E-string. So i actually play that C an octave too low...

thanks in advance,

ALEX

Poparad
05-02-2005, 06:52 PM
It depends on what kind of music you're playing. If you're reading music that is at concert pitch, i.e. not specifically for guitar, then you are correct. (And those are called ledger lines, btw).

If you are reading music written for guitar, then it is transposed up an octave on the paper. In that case, the C on the 3rd fret A string is the ledger line below the treble clef staff, and the C on the 10th fret D string or 5th fret G string is 3rd space C in the treble clef staff.

It's a little confusing at first, but what you posted is correct for untransposed, concert pitch music, such as piano music, or parts or non transposing instruments like flute, violin, voice, etc.

leppard81
05-02-2005, 07:55 PM
Great! Thank you for clearing that up for me, Poparad! :-)

ALEX