PDA

View Full Version : Any Rhoads fans?

Shred Fan
01-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Hey everyone, anyone out there like Randy Rhoads? Personally I think he is (well, was) a great guitar player. He could play fast and had a great sense of melody in my opinion.

Currently working on the Crazy Train solo. When I get my technique a little better I'm gonna eventually attempt tackle the Mr. Crowley solos, awesome stuff there.

EricV
01-08-2003, 10:59 AM
I used to be a big Randy Rhoads-fan, he sure is an early influence of mine. Back when Quiet Riot released "The Randy Rhoads Years" I would listen to Rhoads-stuff all day long.
If you havenīt heard the record, try to get your hands on it... itīs some of the stuff Randy recorded with QR before he auditioned for Ozzy. Some of teh stuff has been heavily edited by DuBrow, but thereīs some cool stuff on there, i.e. "Laughing Gas", including an early, unaccompanied live guitar solo by Randy... it shows how good he was even back then, and there are a bunch of licks in there he later used for Ozzyīs records ( parts of "Crazy Train" and "Goodbye To Romance" i.e. )
Great melodic player, I wonder what heīd play like if he still was alive
Eric

Shred Fan
01-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Hey Eric, yeah apparently Randy wanted to leave Ozzy shortly before his death, not because of disputes or anything he wanted to attend UCLA and get a degree in classical Guitar, now there is a true musician, as Ozzy said "He tried out being rockstar , he was a sucess of it , and thought it was time to move on."

I think he would have either eventually rejoined ozzy (maybe, seeming they worked so well together) or eventually done a solo career. Such a pity that he left this world.

I haven't heard any of his Quiet Riot work but I am a huge fan of his work with Ozzy. Those who aren't familiar with Randy Check out "Crazy Train" and "Mr.Crowley", some great guitar work there.

EricV
01-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Well, try to find the QR-record, maybe you can find one on Ebay... I saw some copies at record stores, but not very often.
The music is pretty much glam-rock, but the guitar playing rocks.
Eric

metallibeast
01-08-2003, 12:29 PM
I really love his guitar solo in Goodbye to Romance. RR is quite an all rounder. His stuffs are very melodic.

-Beast

metaljustice83
01-08-2003, 10:55 PM
get the RR tribute album it has some awesome live playing on it. :) i think its some of his only live recordings from his ozzy years

EricV
01-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Right... and it has some rare stuff from the recordings of "Dee"... a bit spooky actually to hear Randy talk in the studio and stuff
Eric

Bizarro
01-08-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm a big fan too!

It's Rhandy Rhoads with an "h", not Randy!
:)

The re-issue CD's have bonus material, including live videos and other goodies.

Guni
01-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Bizarro It's Rhandy Rhoads with an "h", not Randy!:) :confused:

I remember the date 'Tribute' came out (that was in 86 or 87 I think). I was blown away by this guy's playing and I just had to listened to it all day for weeks..... and the entire album still hasn't lost it's magic.... so if ya want you can count me in on the fan club ... :D

szulc
01-09-2003, 01:31 AM
I thought Mr Crowley was very well done and the fast picking is still difficult to pull off.

Schooligo
01-09-2003, 08:30 AM
I'm a fan!!

earlier in this thread "Songs everyone should know"
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=819 I mentioned that

He left quite an impression & legacy.
(ie. just one strategy I learned was to Double a Solo for fuller Sound & Tone)

(ever notice that Ozzy Osbourne plays & records w/ Great Guitarists!)

EricV
01-09-2003, 09:51 AM
Yeah, Ozzy always had great players... same goes for Whitesnake ( Sykes, Vai, Campbell, Adrian Vandenberg, Warren DeMartini... ), and Paul Rodgers ( Geoff Whitehorn, Reeves Gabrels, Steve Lukather, and the "Muddy Waters Tribute" album featured a BUNCh of great players, like Gilmour, Gary Moore, Jeff Beck, Brian May..)

Eric

Shred Fan
01-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Yeah, Ozzy has had three absolutely astonishing players.

Randy Rhoads
Jake E. Lee &
Zakk Wylde

Now I really like Randy's work, haven't heard much of Jakes work (have to check out some more,, his band is "Badlands" isn't it?) and I think Zakks style is great, not to mention his great use of Harmonics.

EricV
01-09-2003, 10:20 AM
Yeah, Jake used to be in Badlands ( the band split up, and their singer Ray Gillen passed away ). Itīs a great band, pretty Led Zeppelin-influenced IMHO, heavy 70īs vibe.. If you can, check them out. Great stuff.
Jake played on Ozzyīs "Bark At THe Moon" and "The Ultimate Sin". Those are not Ozzys most popular record, but the guitar work sure is great...
Eric

Shred Fan
01-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Nice, I think I'll check out some Badlands when I get around to it.

The songs I've heard with Jake E. Lee are "Bark at the Moon" and "Shot in the Dark" , both decent songs with even more decent guitar work. Though I must say I'm more partial to Randy and Zakk.

EricV
01-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Cool. Check out their debut ( I think itīs titled "Badlands", too ). It has some serious "heavy blues rock" on it... some strong Zeppelin-vibe.
Jake is not as well-known as Zakk or Randy, but he is a great player. IU dunno what heīs up to these days, havenīt heard anything new about him... the least recordings I heard of him were songs on some tribute-albums ( he played on the Satriani / Vai- Tribute, a Nugent-tribute and some others ), and I have his "FIne Pink Mist" album, which is pretty cool...

Have you ever heard "Book Of Shadows" by Zakk ? What a GREAT album... love the guitar-playing, the song-writing, his vocals...
Eric

Shred Fan
01-09-2003, 10:44 PM
No I haven't actually heard book of shadows so I think I'll add that to the list of "CD's to get".

I think I'll also have a look at Zakk's Black Label Society. Only heard one of their songs and they're more of a hard hitting heavy metal band, still good nonetheless. I Think he also does vocals for Black Label Society as well.

But yeah, personally I'm a pretty big fan of Zakk's work.

NP : Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society - Demise of Sanity

EricV
01-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Well, regarding Zakk, I love the records he did with Ozzy ( "Live & Loud" is great ! ), and of the non-Ozzy stuff, I really dig "Pride & Glory" ( Sabbath meets Skynyrd :) ) and especially "Book Of Shadows". The latter has a lot of pretty calm tracks, but it has killer-guitar playing, good songs... and as I said before, the vocals are great... maybe not crystal clear vocals, but rough, with lots of attitude... I love that.
BLS has made some pretty wild stuff, but I have all their records too... heavy & loud, pretty cool...
Eric

metallibeast
01-10-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by EricV
Have you ever heard "Book Of Shadows" by Zakk ? What a GREAT album... love the guitar-playing, the song-writing, his vocals...
Eric

That's a damn good ablum...go get it!!!!

When I first heard it, I was like wow...nothing too heavy, a bit of country flavour in his songs...totally contrasting from BLS and Ozzy.

-Beast

Bizarro
01-10-2003, 03:56 AM
Zakk is very good, especially the No More Tears years. I saw the Book of Shadows tour in Seattle and it was very cool. He can really play! It was cool seeing him with just an acoustic guitar. The electrified solos on Books of Shadows seem to be a bit out of place.

I'd actually rate Jake E Lee as the 2nd most innovative of Ozzy's guitar players, behind Rhandy Rhoads. He has a sophisticated approach to lead work and his picking style is distinctive.

The albums with Jake E Lee were actually Ozzy's best selling albums up to that point in time. Of course, each album sales totals kept going up and up, starting with Blizzard and continuing through No More Tears.

If you like Rhandy Rhoads style of solos, Vito Brata also has some very well constructed solos with a lot of thematic development. He's sort of a cross between Rhandy and Eddie, but maybe a bit more restrained.

Swede
04-15-2005, 09:00 PM
It's Rhandy Rhoads with an "h", not Randy!
You couldn't be more wrong :P

hairballxavier
04-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Randy was the first to bring that classical influence to heavy metal. He was also an incredibly precise player. The guitar parts on Blizzard of ozz and Diary were all triple tracked, even the solos. He was one of the best.

EricV
04-16-2005, 12:04 AM
I remember reading an interview with Max Norman ( I think that was his name... he produced at least one of the Ozzy-albums that Randy played on, and a Megadeth-album a few years later ). Max said that pretty much exactly what hairballxavier posted: That Randy was a very precise and accurate player. Max said that he was listening to each of the tracks ( of the doubled or tripled solos ), crossfading between them, running them simultaneously... and they all were extremely close to each other, to the smallest detail.
Norman recommend to try this yourself... he said that itīs hard to be that precise, and that it might be quite frustrating to try how close you can get to doubling your own leads 1:1
Eric

Slaindude
04-16-2005, 12:56 AM
On another note, have you ever tried the jackson randy rhoads model ? I've tried it last week and honestly i really like the way it sounded but i was very dissapointed by the touch or if you want the feel in the neck. I guess the problem is that i own a gibson SG and im used to smaller frets, those jumbo frets are really too much for my little fingers :D

Bizarro
04-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Slaindude, Randy actually like small frets so those guitars aren't really true to his personal tastes. Randy said in many interviews that he didn't like jumbo frets, including a recent reprint in guitar world or guitar one. Maybe you have more in common than you thought! :)

Randy was a scrawny little guy, probably 5'6" and 120 lbs soaking wet.

Regarding the spelling of his name, ASCAP lists Randy, but I've seen Rhandy on many official documents too. I guess we'd have to ask Delores, his mom...

JailHouseRock
04-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm a big fan of Randy. It all started when I first saw his 'after hours' video playing 'mr crowley. After that, I played the video more than 2 times almost everyday. And I began to searching his stuff with Ozzy and Quite Riot.

I even play mr crowley song with my band on our first gig, although I still cannot play the solo part cleanly and accurately :o ..

Los Boleros
04-16-2005, 02:33 PM
One time I was playing in a dance club, and the song we were doing was, "I will survive", by Gloria Gainer. After our Sax took a solo, he looked at me and said Go! So I started soloing. After alittle while, one thing led to another and a few notes reminded me of my Ozzy Ozborne days. I Played the complete solo to, "Crazy Train", over that chord progression. Everyone asked me what the hell inspired me on that one. I just shrugged my shoulders and took full credit.:D

Swede
04-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Regarding the spelling of his name, ASCAP lists Randy, but I've seen Rhandy on many official documents too. I guess we'd have to ask Delores, his mom...
The only misspelling I've seen is Rhodes instead of Rhoads.
All sites I've ever seen on him says Randy.

Bizarro
04-18-2005, 01:03 PM
The only misspelling I've seen is Rhodes instead of Rhoads.
All sites I've ever seen on him says Randy.

I've been a fan for over 20 years, so most of that information was seen well before the world-wide-web was invented! LOL! Websites are typically extremely poor resources for facts (including spelling), unless they are somehow legally obligated.

I believe ASCAP has it right though, since that's a legal copyright issue. So Randy it is! :)

Of course, some guitarists change their name or spelling. Zakk Wylde is really Jeff Wiedlandt...

Swede
04-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Of course, some guitarists change their name or spelling. Zakk Wylde is really Jeff Wiedlandt...
Yeah, that's right ... or was it Philip ?
I'm sure he had Philip somewhere in his name
cuz I read something about him being nicknamed Flip :D

Kickass guitar player though :D