PDA

View Full Version : Bored with piano...

SostenutO
05-08-2005, 08:44 PM
Lately I have been bored with playing the piano. I have come to realize that all I can really do is comp chords and throw some blues licks in etc. There arn't any cool effects for piano. Nothing that is original or "awesome" or anything. There wasn't every a Hendrix of Piano who did something totally crazy with the piano and changed the way people played. With piano you can only play the notes, can't bend them or alter them or make kewl sounds. Its just....blah. The best you can do is slide off another note. Theres no Wah or Squeeling or Screaming etc......What should I do???!!!! :( :( :( :(

Factor
05-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Oh yes there were "Hendrix"s of the Piano, but you might not have heard of them. Do you listen to jazz?

If so, at least check out Bill Evans, Keith Jarret and Herbie Hancock. They changed the way people play piano. Not neccessarily techniquewise, but in terms of content and harmonic depth.

SostenutO
05-08-2005, 09:07 PM
I'll check out some more Herbie. I do listen to a lot of those guys though.
I guess I need some inspiration. I've just been noticing lately that a lot of those guys like Albert Ammons, Memphis Slim, Thelonius Monk, etc etc all played mostly the same thing....jazz/blues soloing over boogiewoogie etc bass lines. And that is mostly the best thing you can do. There's no real "lead piano" persay. And no awesome effects (except they do have some keyboards with tremolo bars and snyths are pretty kewl).

carmencita
05-08-2005, 09:19 PM
There wasn't every a Hendrix of Piano who did something totally crazy with the piano and changed the way people played.

Try Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt. Their contemporaries thought them insane and they changed the way people play!

SostenutO
05-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Yes but I meant more along the lines on effects on piano. Like on guitar there are so many different things you can do to make awesome sounds and so much merchandise like wah pedals, effect pedals etc etc. You can't do that kind of stuff on piano.

And when I said Hendrix I meant about the differrent things he did to create new original sounds. I can't rub my piano against a pole and make some cool sounds lol.

Mateo150
05-08-2005, 10:25 PM
I'd definetly recommend Herbie Hancock... I mean, geez, that guy is incredible. His sense of rhythm, timing, groove, harmonic/theory sense... amazing. But if your looking for effects and experimenting with keys, maybe some Medeski, Martin, & Wood (MMW for short) may be what your looking for.

delicious
05-08-2005, 11:27 PM
you should checkout jordan rudess from dream theater;P. watch the live at budokan dvd you see him do some pretty cool stuff. plugged the keyboard into a distortion pedal and was shredding up guitar pieces on the keyboard hehe, and his also got that cool magnetic strip thingy under one of his controls on the keyboard where he slides finger across to change the tone or something. piano is boring, learn keyboard:p

SostenutO
05-09-2005, 01:56 AM
I have hooked my keyboard up to a Wah-Pedal before and it sounded awesome. Maybe I should be some guitar pedals and use them with my keyboard. That'd be cool. They should start making effect pedals for keyboard though. Its not fair, guitarists really do have all the good merchandise and all of us know it.... :'(

SostenutO
05-09-2005, 02:21 AM
I couldn't tell, in songs liek Chameleon, at about 40 seconds, is that piano or guitar?? first it sounds a lot like a real funky guitar than it sounds like a real funky piano lol.

Mateo150
05-09-2005, 03:14 AM
those are keyboards... thats Herbie you hear there. The guitar and bass are pretty much static throughout the song and hold down the groove. Maybe some ear training would help out a bit to help distinguish all that. Get out there and listen to live music as well.

Poparad
05-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Check out some of Chick Corea's electric playing (keyboards and Fender Rhodes). He makes some far out sounds with those.

carmencita
05-09-2005, 04:20 AM
Chick Corea, yes! I once heard (and saw) him in Vienna, were he was picking the strings and playing with a felt-stick.
There are also a number of pieces for "prepared" piano (forgot the name(s), because I love the sound of a good, "clean" piano), where you e.g. place a big sheet of paper and a pound of peas on the strings. But maybe this is not what you are looking for ;)

Schmaus
05-09-2005, 04:42 AM
effects on guitar are a little overrated.

personally I used to use them alot...then I pretty much always go back to just delay or reverb and focus on the notes and how im playing them.

mabye you can be a hendrix of piano and invent some :D

Of course that isn't that realistic but you never know.

fortymile
05-09-2005, 08:33 AM
i dont think piano is 'for' effects. and my biases are shining through here, but thank god.

seek out more whacked out harmony, and appreciate the moods the piano is capable of--it's all ya can do.

SostenutO
05-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Im going to check out Chick Corea right now. Thank you. In Chameleon you say thats all keyboard?(even the funky guitar sounding strummy funky...thingy in the way beginning? at 40 seconds and 8:07 you can really hear it). anyway it is incredibly awesome, it sounds like it has some liquidy "wah" effect on it. Inspiring. :eek:

Mateo150
05-10-2005, 12:27 AM
heres a raw transcription I did a while back.

the piano doesn't do a steady comp as I have in the tab, but its what Herbie starts off with. Don't think the notes for the piano are all right either. But it should be enough to get a sense of whats going on there. Try doing your own transcriptions. Stop complaining about piano too, theres plenty to do.

SostenutO
05-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Its just that I just love the sound produced from an instrument like Pedal Steel. And I figured you can't really do that stuff with piano, but I guess it is possible with synths.

Eccojedi
05-12-2005, 02:37 AM
You need to listen to Ben Folds if you want to hear some cool stuff for the piano that isn't strictly jazz.

Julian
03-25-2006, 10:38 PM
check out john cage, he did some freakin cool things with the piano, also stravinsky too.

Dommy
03-26-2006, 03:07 AM
You're looking in the wrong place...

Spino
03-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Check out "In Flight" by George Benson Jorge Dalto on The Wind & I one of the best guitar solos I ever heard but played on a Synth ,and that was in '77 and Hey be glad you're a Keyboard player, the most logical instrument ,every thing laid out in front of ya, You could also check out Gonzolo Rubalcaba who sounds like he's playing with an extra pair of hands & Herbie Hancock is /must be a huge inspiration otherwise as Dommy says you are, looking in the wrong place. ;) :cool:

metaljustice83
03-27-2006, 06:46 PM
I would try to look at is as, what are guitar players jealous of keyboard/piano players for? The answer might be what you are looking for.

SostenutO
03-29-2006, 01:50 AM
i cudn't find "In Flight" by George Benson :( Theres an album called In Flight, but I couldn't find a song...

jade_bodhi
03-29-2006, 05:44 PM
I guess I need some inspiration. I've just been noticing lately that a lot of those guys like Albert Ammons, Memphis Slim, Thelonius Monk, etc etc all played mostly the same thing....jazz/blues soloing over boogiewoogie etc bass lines.

Man, you are hard to please! Try Bud Powell, an American shredder bebop pianist of the forties. I have to disagree, respectfully, that Monk "played mostly the same thing." He had a unique style that is recognizeable instantly, but he didn't just play the same old thing. He was an innovator. What about Duke Ellington? Maybe he's not the greatest technical player, but he wrote beautiful tunes that include innovative solos. If I could play this music, I'd never be bored.

mannny
05-05-2006, 02:42 AM
I play guitar and piano. And i prefer piano even though i still love the guitar. And theyre were many hendrix's of piano. If you like classical- beethoven, bach, mozart, chopin. Or jazz (which you would not get bored of playing) - art tatum, thelonius monk, duke ellington. Also plenty of rock pianists too. Plus there is way too many guitar players out there nowadays

snufeldin
05-05-2006, 03:31 AM
If you're looking for inspiration, I recommend any Mozart, Bach, Chopin, Schubert, Beethoven... that stuff is so amazing. As far as jazz pianists, I'm partial to Mehldau.

Tori Amos did som Hendrix stuff... it sounded pretty good.

Aripitch
05-22-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has already stated this, but McCoy Tyner's "licks" are darker if you need more variety.

Phil Sick
05-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Bored with piano?? Could it be that deep down you’re into music for the wrong reasons? Seems to me like you’re relying on effects to make something sound good to your ears! Maybe play another instrument? I guarantee if you take time to learn & feel the piano properly you won’t be “bored” with it at all, far from it!…….a phenomenal instrument.

Peace.

Phil.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=146098

pianochikke
05-28-2006, 05:01 PM
heres a raw transcription I did a while back.

the piano doesn't do a steady comp as I have in the tab, but its what Herbie starts off with. Don't think the notes for the piano are all right either. But it should be enough to get a sense of whats going on there. Try doing your own transcriptions. Stop complaining about piano too, theres plenty to do.

I'm in your position, also, kind of. My position's somewhat diff.
I've been playing classical/a little modern piano for 22 years.
I've been getting less & less motivated to practice piano.

What I've done is switched modes for awhile.
My mom's kind of always wanted me to learn
jazz piano as well. For her BDay this July, I decidded
to learn how to play jazz piano! It means new challanges,
(especially w/swinging!), which also means a chance
that it'll re-spark my passion for playing.

I agree, though. There IS plenty to do w/piano.
Try getting a different keyboard. Maybe one that
has diff. sound effects. You could try writing your own music!
(Maybe you do that already?!) :)

If you'd like some music suggestions,
you mentioned you like something dark, like chopin?
Try one of his Nocturns. They can be hard, so if you're
a beginner, you might want to try some of his Prelude's,
instead! A couple suggestions (these are in my repitoire!):

Chopin--Prelude in B Minor
Chopin--Prelude in E Minor
(Those 2 MIGHT sound familliar to you!)

Also try works by "Prokefiev". The book is called
"Music For Young People, Opus 65, For the Piano."
Some of the music is pretty "dark" sounding.
Especially one called "Regrets"! The book is "edited by
Willard A. Palmer"

Prelude in C Minor by Bach may look intimidating, but if
you block it, & play it slowely (I should take my own advice! ;) ),
it shouldn't be too bad. That's kind of organ-sounding, & dark! :)

Ok. I think that's a long enough post! Hope that helps.
Anymore questins you have for me, just email me through
this site. I may have more reccommendations for you!

joeyd929
06-01-2006, 03:39 PM
Maybe you wrote this already but in case it was not covered..If you are bored with piano, have you considered writing your own music as an alternative.

When I get bored with guitar and piano, which happens alot. I just get bored easy and have to shift gears all the time. If I am bored with both instruments I just spend time expirementing and writing music.

When I say I write music, what I mean is that I play around with the keyboard and expirement with various chords and sounds, not really with any specific thoughts about chord names and theory, but I apply it where it is needed.

I have written some cool stuff in times of boredom, I would consider trying it. Once I get the piece down in my head, then I try and write it on paper, or use Finale to notate the music... It's worth a shot..

That is a good question, why do we play our instruments? What is the reason we want to play in the first place? The answers can determine our next move.

szulc
06-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Have you seen/heard Chick Corea or Cecil Tyler?

SeattleRuss
06-15-2006, 03:37 AM
SostenutO wrote:

I've just been noticing lately that a lot of those guys like Albert Ammons, Memphis Slim, Thelonius Monk, etc etc all played mostly the same thing....jazz/blues soloing over boogiewoogie etc bass lines.

Maybe you skipped Monk without realizing it. If you want "different", he's your man. I highly recommend him.

szulc
06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Chick Corea sometimes plucks and mutes the piano strings with his fingers and hands, it is VERY cool and percussive, you can even get harmonics this way if the sustain pedal is pressed, and you touch just right in the right places. You can also use a mic or a pickup /transducer on a Piano and run it through effects.

nickpiano
08-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Chick Corea sometimes plucks and mutes the piano strings with his fingers and hands, it is VERY cool and percussive, you can even get harmonics this way if the sustain pedal is pressed, and you touch just right in the right places. You can also use a mic or a pickup /transducer on a Piano and run it through effects.

That seems pretty awesome, but sadly I don't own an acoustic piano.

jazzmaniac
08-03-2006, 02:45 AM
You could also try listening to John Cage's "Prepared Piano". I don't know if you'll like it.