PDA

View Full Version : help with chord progression, PLEASE?

jimster
01-10-2003, 08:00 AM
I have a progression in the key of C, the verse goes from Em to C, cycling back and forth for a while...a chorus etc... but I have a bridge that goes Cm/Gm/Dm/Am...it all sounds ok...but I cant figure out how to lead from the C into the Cm of the bridge.

Could someone please suggest some chords, or even better the theory behind selecting a chord to lead into this, in this case, C to the first bridge chord of Cm???!!! I would really appreciate any help.

In case it matters, I am thinking that the Cm and Gm chords are substituted from the parrallel C minor scale (aeolian), just in case it makes a difference. thank you.

jim

Zatz
01-10-2003, 02:36 PM
jimster,

it's really hard to come up with some acceptable transition to the bridge without actually hearing the song cos there is extremely vast range of possibilities here. Just for you to try...

Ok, Cm & Gm are from C natural minor. I guess what you want is gradual change in mood - from major to minor or even a bit dramatic and diminished sound.

Say you ended the verse with tonic - C major.
You can go this way:

verse part ... C -> | Dm7 ->[ {Dm7b5 -> G7b9 | -> Cm} -> Gm ] -> Dm -> Am

* In [] brackets I wrote the part of the progression which comes out of C minor.

* In {} brackets there goes a typical ii-V-i progression for minor.

* Dm7 -> Dm7b5 will provide the smooth change owing to just flattening the fifth which should sound rather ear friendly.

* The reason for G7b9 is that this type of alteration in dominant chords resolves fine to minor chords plus G is dominant for both Cmin/maj.

* Besides, if you play G7b9 without a root you'll get Bo (diminished) chord with painful and dramatic sound.

So the subprogression [Dm7b5 -> G7b9] would bring a shade sorrow and would prepare the minor deviation.

So, the transition is included in | ... |

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,
Zatz.

Zatz
01-10-2003, 06:19 PM
Note that Cm/Gm/Dm/Am goes anti-clockwise the Circle of 5ths implying minor chords instead of dominant ones.
So considering that you have simple triads in your progression and ruled but the "minor anti-clockwise 5th" logic you might just insert Fm chord after C:

C -> [ Fm ] -> Cm -> Gm -> Dm -> Am

or

C -> [ F -> Fm ] -> Cm -> Gm -> Dm -> Am

to keep it simple.

Zatz.

Guni
01-10-2003, 08:48 PM
What style are we talking about here?

jimster
01-11-2003, 12:18 AM
awesome, thanx zatz!! I will give your suggestions a try and let u know how i go, some chord suggestions but also WHY those chords was exactly what i was after, thanx again :0)

jim

szulc
01-11-2003, 02:09 PM
I believe that the progression as you have described it is in E minor then modulates to C minor.

Zenith
01-12-2003, 11:45 PM
Or you can use one progression which goes from the verse/refrain to the bridge and can be used to lead to E minor again after the bridge. If you use the basic ii V i in E minor (F#mb5 H7 Em) right before the bridge you can go to Cm instead of Em, because H7 leads a lot towards Cm. And right before the end of the bridge you can use the F#mb5 as a substitute for Am, because F#mb5 contains all the notes of Am. And then you need the H7 as well, so you have to split the bar in two.

szulc
01-13-2003, 02:14 AM
By H7 do you mean B7?
And F#mb5 do you mean F#m7b5?

Zenith
01-13-2003, 08:43 AM
Hah! Right. We use H here in Norway (stupid with no logic reason to do this) and Germany... And it's a 7 in F#m7b5. Just forgot.

the1andonly
01-15-2003, 03:22 AM
the easiest ways would be with a G7, Fm, or Bdim7 between the C and Cm.