PDA

View Full Version : My solo composition

JailHouseRock
06-01-2005, 04:54 AM
I'm having hard time figuring out where I should post this. I guess Composition Section would be appropriate.

Ok guys, hereís 2 excerpt solo tracks taken from my bandís promo CD. This is our 1st recording sessions. Done in 2 days. It was totally new and confusing experience for us. The mixing part is even more confusing lol. We didnít mastered it cuz lack of money. So,the quality might not be so good. :o :D

This solo was taken from our song called Forever.
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000157465_000028392.mp3

This solo was taken from our song called Thunderous Symphony.

- the song got 3 different guitar solos. So, I just edit it by cutting the 3 different sections and mixed it together in this MP3.
- the 1st solo is from 0.00 - 0.35, 2nd solo from 0.39 Ė 1.00, then keyboard interlude and the 3rd solo from 1.24 till the end.
http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Members/000157465_000028391.mp3

I wanted to make some fast stuff here and there but my technique is not that good yet. I need your comment and opinion about my playing, tone, whatever.. be it good or bad so that Iíd know where and what to improve on. Thanks!!

JailHouseRock
06-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Lol.. nobody cares to comment me? Come on guys. Any comment/opinion can do. And this is not some kind of self/band promotion. I just want your opinion.

p/s: hope this is not posted in the wrong topic:(

forgottenking2
06-04-2005, 04:59 AM
The samples need to be mastered "to bring the best out of them" like a sound tech in a studio (trying to milk more time out of you) would tell you. I think for them to be done in just a couple of days (very few takes I imagine) it was pretty good.

You want some criticism? Ok here's mine: Work on the vibrato. Notes seem to come alive (and the tone of them somehow improves) if you use vibrato, try different widths and speeds and see what one you like best. As far as the guitar tone, it may be just my personal taste but I'd dial more mids in, to round and fatten things up a bit.

That's it man my take on it. No harsh critisism on my end. I overally thought was pretty good (but I am biased towards euro-metal :D ).

Apple-Joe
06-04-2005, 11:16 AM
I liked Forever. Melodic and good. There was not much to point at, that didn't work.

Now listening to Thunderous Symphony. Sounds good as well. Oh. Not the best sound quality at the moment, but the playing itself is quite good nevertheless.

I don't remember whether you told how long you have been playing, but I think your playing sounds good. The tone/sound rather seems to be the problem, but you already stated money as the reason, so I understand that.

As a final note, let me add that your music sounds very refreshing to me, as I have been playing too much pentatonic/classic rock/blues influenced material.

Your music had a classical touch (not classic rock, but classical music!) which I enjoyed very much.

I'd like to hear more.

gersdal
06-04-2005, 03:10 PM
:cool: Lot's of great stuff in these solo's. Sometimes sounds a little outa tune. Possibly a little bending and the vibrato doing it. Nicely composed, though.

Los Boleros
06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Personally I am not a big fan of long Arpegio based solos. They tend to sound like a Bach excersise. I preffer melody lines. The second solo has some good melodic content. I think you need to watch your grip on the fretboard. It sounds at times, (many times) that you press down to hard and put the note out of tune.

UKRuss
06-04-2005, 04:32 PM
PHEW! (twice I've said that today)

I was gonna have to say, there is definitely something out of tune, I wondered actually if it might have been one string in particular.

I didnt want to offend, but as the other guys noticed it too...

Other than that I enjoyed the neo-classical element to the whole thing and I thought it was great fun! I enjoyed it!

Thumbs up from me!

JailHouseRock
06-08-2005, 03:21 AM
Thanks a lot for your comments guys. I really appreciated it!! ;)
Well, before this 2 friends of mine told me that there were something 'wrong' or sounds funny with the solos but I didn't take it seriously. But some of you also noticed it, then sure there's something wrong and outta tune lor. :o I need to develop my ears much more better. Thanks for making me realise about it. :D :cool:

Springbok
06-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Hey there dude *wavie*

Im not going to speak about the out of tuned notes, thats note the point. The point is that it sounds good, especially at that speed, it sounds great because it isnt too taxing to listen to and it it sounds different, which is refreshing, whenever you guys have an album out pro, I want the first one! So yeah, keep at it and post some of your other stuff as you progress further

Au revoir mes petit singes lol
Ivanovic

AyKay
06-22-2005, 12:18 AM
it was alright (listened to the second). IN the more baroque-sounding solo (the second I believe) I thought you used a pretty good pedal tonality for an electric guitar solo.

Your intonation, however, is slightly off... did you use an electric tuner? Hehe, keep in mind that instruments are tempered, so you're going to have to check your tonal centers. The most accurate *quick* way of tuning I've found so far is to
1. Tune the A and D strings to each other.
2. Tune the low E to the D (10th fret E to open D)
3. Tune the open G to it's counterpart on the A string.
Then the open to the 9th on the D, open high E to the 9th on the G. Check your octaves, etc.

By the way, was that a solid state amp? You should get a tubescreamer, or perhaps a radial tonebone if you have the cash. I think that would give your solos alot more presence (a little more volume wouldn't hurt either)

metta, -ay

edit : Oh, and it's kinda funny what this REALLY reminded me of... iF you've ever heard the song "commisioning a symphony in C" By CAKE, this sounds like a more prog rock solo to that song :p

JailHouseRock
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Im not going to speak about the out of tuned notes, thats note the point. The point is that it sounds good, especially at that speed, it sounds great because it isnt too taxing to listen to and it it sounds different, which is refreshing, whenever you guys have an album out pro, I want the first one! So yeah, keep at it and post some of your other stuff as you progress further

Thanks a lot dude! We may release a pro stuff probably an ep when we're finish working on new songs and got some cash. :D

Your intonation, however, is slightly off... did you use an electric tuner? Hehe, keep in mind that instruments are tempered, so you're going to have to check your tonal centers. The most accurate *quick* way of tuning I've found so far is to
1. Tune the A and D strings to each other.
2. Tune the low E to the D (10th fret E to open D)
3. Tune the open G to it's counterpart on the A string.
Then the open to the 9th on the D, open high E to the 9th on the G. Check your octaves, etc.
By the way, was that a solid state amp? You should get a tubescreamer, or perhaps a radial tonebone if you have the cash. I think that would give your solos alot more presence (a little more volume wouldn't hurt either)

I used an electronic built-in tuner from a P.O.D line 6 effect. I should've check the tuning always cuz the guitar I used won't stay in tune after few hours using it :o .
I dunno if that was solid state amp or what. All the stuff inside the studio was sophisticated enough for me. Btw, I just connect the guitar with the POD and (if I'm not mistaken) the cable was connected direct to the mixer. You see, I dunno that much about gear stuff but thanks for listening and comment my music. ;)