PDA

View Full Version : Brett Garsed Article

Shred Fan
01-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Eric,

Just finished giving your article on Brett a quick read, and nice work as always.

When I get some time I'll get around to checking out some of the man's work, and jamming out some of those licks you supplied us with.

So tell us, what article are you planning to be next in store for the unsuspecting viewers of this site?

EricV
01-14-2003, 07:13 PM
Hey there,

thanks, glad you like the article. It was a bunch of work, but also a lotta fun...
Anyway, Ill have to cut back a bit on writing stuff within those next few weeks. From tomorrow on, well be working on the songs for the album again... Ill start recording guitar parts for some of them tomorrow ( YAY ! ), and once theyre done, well get to recording the drums, mixing etc.
So Ill be kinda busy with that.

BUT:
I have three articles already finished, waiting for release ( one about three note per string patterns and what you can do with them, one about "pentatonic madness" ( = cool stuff you can do with pentatonics beside stretch pentatonics and blues-licks ) and another rant.. )
And I am working / planning on / thinking about:
Petrucci-profile, one about neoclassical guitar ( Malmsteen, Moore... ), Gear Setup ( Part 2... also included in that one is another rant ), open voiced triads ( i.e. Eric Johnson )...

Why do you ask ?
:)
Eric

Shred Fan
01-14-2003, 11:50 PM
Why do I ask? I was just curious what the next article will be. Those are all nice topics you have happening there.

Well, good luck in the studio and with your new album, hope it all turns out great.

EricV
01-15-2003, 05:25 AM
Thanks a bunch... Ill tell you guys about the progress and hopefully will be able to put up new soundfiles soon... this whole thing has been in the making too long already...
But its gonna be fun, looking forward to recording those tracks...
Eric

Shred Fan
01-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Eric,

Looking forward to hearing some soundfiles soon, I listened to some of the pre-production demos and have to say that I like what I hear. Looking forward to hearing more.

EricV
01-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Thanks... I am currently ( have been today ) working on guide-tracks for Andy to drum over... once the drums have been recorded, Ill get back to the guitar parts and redo them.,..

As soon as we have new stuff, Ill put up soundfiles
Thanks
Eric

Jeansen
07-29-2005, 01:54 AM
hello..i just wanna ask...can anyone show me the "all hammer on" approach with audio file?..cause it is hard for me to know if i'm already doing it right if i haven't even hear it ( cause it is very hard for me to have brett's cd in my country )..thx u :)

EricV
07-29-2005, 02:00 AM
I am not sure whether an audio file would help you at all, cuz even though the "all hammer on" approach sounds a bit smoother than the "Van Halen style" one, I think itd be hard to hear a difference on any album
Imagine regular legato / hammer on / pull off soloing but with no pull offs.. all notes hammered on instead. So if you ie. play a descending line on one string ( say, G-F#-E, you hammer on the G with your pinkie, then release that finger while hammering on the F# with your ring finger, and finally hammering on the E with your index finger while softly releasing the ring finger. No pull offs ! )
I think its easier to understand it than hearing it
Hope this helps
Eric

Jeansen
07-31-2005, 12:39 PM
hello..Eric..thx u..i've tried it already actually..and i just wondering if i have practised it correctly..
is it really hard to hear the difference even if it is played slowly..? if it does sound different ..i really would like to hear it..just to check if i have practise it right already..

did Bret Garsed teach this in his video "rock fusion" ?
thx

DemonSorcerer
08-01-2005, 03:23 AM
Hey...

He dones't teach the "all hammer ons" method, but instead he only mentions it...he says that you have to "slam" your fingers on the fretboard or something like that...

Another guitarist that uses the "all hammer ons" approach is Allan Holdsworth....he says that he dislikes the "meowing" sound of pull offs...i don't know about that crazy sound but if Allan says it...:P

David

Jeansen
08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
wow..thx u for the info on Allan holdsworth, DemonSorcerer..yup, Allan is great..i didn't know a lot about his tehnique all this time, but i do listen to him...i don't know that he does do the "all hammer on" thx u again.. :)

EricV
08-04-2005, 04:40 PM
Jeansen,

yes, the "all hammer on" technique is being explained in the "Rock Fusion" video. Its actually quite simple... just imagine not using any pull offs, instead hammering on ALL notes, even on descending lines on one string.
Its quite a change if you are used to pull offs.
Sound-wise, it might sound a bit smoother and more balanced ( especially less experienced players tend to use too much strength on their pull offs, so sometimes those notes might stand out quite a bit )
Hope this helps
Eric

Jeansen
08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
i guess..i'll give it a try first, hopefully i can make it ;) ...thx u a lot!!