PDA

View Full Version : Programs

sixstrings121
07-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Are there any programs which just show musical notation in which you can write your songs? I have guitar pro and powertab, but they have tab as well as notation, and you cant turn the tab off :( Thanks for all the help

steve0192
07-16-2005, 10:42 PM
The most professional one that I've ever seen is Lilypond. But it's not easy to learn much more like a programming language than a music editor, but the output is about as perfect as it gets.

http://www.lilypond.org/web/

Regards

Steve

BachInv13
07-17-2005, 12:23 AM
Sibelius

Poparad
07-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Sibelius and Finale are the big ones. I know you can get a free version of Finale (Finale Notepad) with scaled down features, but I'm not sure if Sibelius has one too. Finale (at least the full version does) can do standard notation and/or tab.

sixstrings121
07-17-2005, 02:11 AM
I just got the free demo of Sibelius. Does anyone know how to stack notes to make chords on there?

Maarten
07-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Just put some notes on top of each other, but you have to do this immediately after putting down the note before, otherwise the note that was there already will be replaced. Or you can select a note and press a number (from the top of the keyboard, not the numeric pad) and it will add that interval on top of the note (so pressing 8 will give you an octave). Holding ctrl and pressing a numer will put the interval below it.

Sibelius is an excellent program, you just have to get used to it a bit, it's very user friendly. Often there are more ways to do 1 thing so you can use your preferred method. My way of writing chords often is plugging in a keyboard and play the desired notes.

AcousticShred
07-18-2005, 04:58 AM
Forget everything mentioned above. There is a program that does what you stated and completly owns powertabs at the same time. Guitarpro...This is the most underrated tools for guitarists on the internet. No one even talks about it but it has the most easy to use features and the largest most accurate selection of tabs that you can open in the program and listen while reading the tabs and or notation, I know I sound like sales person, but i really really really advocate this program, just google guitar pro

Zatz
07-18-2005, 06:42 AM
AcousticShred,

this is a great software but have you read a question? :D

Schooligo
07-18-2005, 07:41 AM
most accurate selection of tabs that you can open in the program and listen while reading the tabs and or notation,

I think the Guitar Pro program is an excellent program and the website Mysongbook.com is very helpful.

but sorry from a point of view of knowing what is an accurate tab the most accurate tabs I have found are on the Powertab archive.

EricV
07-18-2005, 07:44 AM
I actually have always been partial to Powertab a well, but one thing I like about GuitarPro and mysongbook is that a lot of people do complete transcriptions including bass, keyboards and drums. Even though those parts might not always been correct, its cool to hear those parts as well when you play back the file, and if there is a full band that wants to learn the song, they can get a transcription with most or all instrument parts transcribed, too
Eric

Schooligo
07-18-2005, 07:57 AM
a lot of people do complete transcriptions including bass, keyboards and drums. Even though those parts might not always been correct, its cool to hear those parts as well when you play back the file, and if there is a full band that wants to learn the song, they can get a transcription with most or all instrument parts transcribed, too

Yeah Eric, Great points!! ;)

I really appreciate the people who take the time to do a full transcription and in the case of guitarpro(mysongbook.com) I really like the ability to play along with the rhythm section, even if it is not totally accurate if it very helpful, and a incredible learning tool.

one thing I particularly like about GuitarPro is the ease in which you can adjust the volume of the individual instruments or tracks so that if you want you can take out the guitar part or the bass part, or just decrease the volume of that track so you can play along with the rhythm section simultaneously read what the (for instance)- guitar is doing, and pan out the guitar and play along as if you were the main guitarist in the song

If you can get past the "Midi" sound it is an awesome program IMHO!!

AcousticShred
07-22-2005, 04:28 AM
AcousticShred,

this is a great software but have you read a question? :D

hahaha i feel like a moron now, but it still might have helped some other people who dont have GP

Death (Chuck)
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
i think guitarpro is the best software and its very easy to get the tab u are searching for. Or u can easily download archives. For example: i have over 80000 tabs on my pc.

sixstrings121
07-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes but I have guitar pro...You cant take the tabulature off of the score.

AcousticShred
07-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Yes but I have guitar pro...You cant take the tabulature off of the score.

It might be an inconvinience but its not the end of the world, it just means you will waste a little more paper....btw what are you doing reading sheet, your a guitarist!:D

sixstrings121
07-28-2005, 03:21 PM
It might be an inconvinience but its not the end of the world, it just means you will waste a little more paper....btw what are you doing reading sheet, your a guitarist!

Im not concerned about having the tab for wasting paper issues, Im concered about it because I want to learn how to read better, which I thought I could get better at by strictly writting/reading sheetmusic without the tab, because I'll find myself looking at it instead of just the notes. haha and yes not many guitarists know how to read, but its a great tool to have.