PDA

View Full Version : I need Effects 101

Mateo150
08-02-2005, 06:03 AM
I've searched the web, but I still can't find a really nice website that explains what effects actually do. I have a handle on the familiar ones, but what is "crunch", what is "leslie", explanations of compressors, sustainers, "tube screamers"...

Any good websites that explain what various effects do to the sound or examples of what the effects are used to achieve. thanks.

skeletron
08-02-2005, 07:05 AM
A Leslie is a type of speaker cabinet. It was mainly used for amplifying organ sounds in the '60s/'70s (listen to Jimmy Smith), and guitarists also started to use them. They are some of the finest clean sounding amps. I think Clapton modified his to run his JCM 800 into it.

Basically the speaker created a whirling effect by having a bottom speaker (shaped like a huge drum) and a top horn speaker, that rotated in opposite ways. There is a footswitch that, when engaged, speeds both sections of the speaker up, creating a faster whirling effect.

The reason a whirling effect is created is simply due to the physics of the sound waves travelling at different speeds, in different directions, emitting from two different sources.

Bizarro
08-02-2005, 02:28 PM
http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/fxfaq.htm

Really good descriptions of just about every FX.

UKRuss
08-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Also, harmony-central talk you through every type of effect and it's uses.