PDA

View Full Version : string noise

snufeldin
01-25-2003, 01:42 AM
I've been getting very frustrated becauses of excess string noise.
When I'm playing something as simple as this
-8-5------8-5-----
------8-5------8-5

I get excess noise and it's pissing me off.
I've slowed it don't but I can't do it.

How do i fix this

Shred Fan
01-25-2003, 03:01 AM
OK, firstly, check out Eric's "Break it all Down" article.

Slow down the lick and play it to establish what is causing the noise....it could be any of many things.......

1. You are fretting the note to hard, causeing a "doubled" effect when you pick the note

2. You are releasing your finger from the note with to much tension, causing a "pulloff" to the open string.

3. When you remove your finger from one note you accidently hit another string causing some noise.

4. Heaps of other things it could be.

Slow down and find what is making the noise, more ofthen than not relaxing and using less pressure in the fretting hand is the resolution to such a problem. Now correct the problem and ever so slowly work it back up to speed again.

snufeldin
01-25-2003, 03:11 AM
I've done this already,
The cause is the pick hitting the string as I cross over.

from the 5 on the E string to the 8 on the B string
-8-5------8-5-----
------8-5------8-5

I've done it slowly for a month and it isn't working it's way back up

snufeldin
01-25-2003, 03:13 AM
I'd also like to add that when I start with an upstroke it's okay, but a downstroke is when the noise starts. However, when I'm in the middle of soloing it usually doesn't happen that I'll have the chance to start with an upstroke.

Shred Fan
01-25-2003, 05:03 AM
Okay,
Seeming it only happens when you start with a downstroke it appears that you are having a problem with "outside" picking.

---5------
-------8--
u d

It appears you can't do this properly and hit the B string on your way up right?

Well you are going to hate my answer, but the only solution is hours of practise. If you want to stick with strict alternate picking then you will have to put in the hours to do this right.

There is no other way. Do it VERY SLOW, I don't care if you have to do it one note per minute, and pay very close attention as you bring your pick up and hit the next note with a downstroke.

Also, use a metronome, and start at like one note per beat at 40bpm, very slow. At least this way you can speed it up over time (and it will take time). Eventually you can do it at 42, then 60, then 120 , then 200 then 8th notes at 120 then 16th notes.... and so on and so on and so on.

But you need to start it so painstaking and gruelingly slow so you can get it right. And use a metronome to progress as time passes. If you don't use a metronome it is hard to distiguish between anything else besides "slow" and "fast". A metronome is great for working SLOWLY (yes, emphasis on the slowly) up to higher speeds.

Keep doing it real slow for a while and then put the speed up a bit, when you hit the limit you can do it cleanly at keep doing it cleanly at your limit and sooner or later you will be able to do it higher.

Yeah, I know what it's like to have to go back and spend ages fixing things like this but it is the only way.

Oh one more thing, with massive amounts of distortion etc. there are some noises you cannot just stop, but by the sound of it the problem you have can definately be worked on.

Good Luck
-Shred Fan

7_stringa
01-28-2003, 03:10 AM
how long have yopu been playing snufeldin

im curious

becuase if it is about 2 months dont blame youself

EricV
01-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Seeming it only happens when you start with a downstroke it appears that you are having a problem with "outside" picking.

He might not only hit the B-string on his way up, he might even hit the G-String when trying to play that example. I used t have that problem.
I.e. when playing the Paul Gilbert-exercise on the E- and B-string, I always accidentially hit the G-string while moving around the E- and B-string.
It took me a while to get rid of it... had to practise a lot and I also had to always remember to relax the right hand.

Other noises can occur when your right hand ainīt floating and slightly touches the lower strings, causing them to ring. It takes both hands to mute the strings youīre not playing on ( which is something most people donīt pay attention to at first, and have to work hard to rectify it later... I had to )

Also, too much gain might cause the problem too.

I agree to ShredFan, it takes a lot of work and exercise. Slow it down, find the problem, isolate and eliminate it. Donīt get angry or "pissed off", cuz that might cause you to tense up, which really doesnīt make it easier to relax your hands.
Eric