PDA

View Full Version : ERICV Guitar Tabs?

Jukeboxhero01
08-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I don't know if this is a dumb question, or if this is the right area to post this question, but, Are there any guitar tabs of EricV's original songs?

EricV
10-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Oops, I missed that post, I guess. Sorry. No, there arenīt any complete TABs of my songs yet. I never took the time to sit down and tab out what I play. I did however tab out a few riffs, melodies and solo licks of songs of mine for ibreathe.
Some people have i.e. asked about the tapping in "Hold On Tight", or the solo of "Riders High", or the intro / melody of Hidden Creek. I posted those.
Maybe a forum search will help.
If you have a question on a specific part of one of my songs, I can make a TAB of it if you like.
Thanks for listening
Eric

leppard81
10-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Eric; How do you do it on "real life"? Do you write down your songs in TAB and/or also in music notation or ONLY in music notation? Just curious....

thanx,
ALEX:-)

EricV
10-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I donīt write my music in all. I write the parts on the guitar, and then arrange them and come up with more parts by programming a demo with my QY300 hardware sequencer.
That way, I can play to a backing of the song, can work out parts by myself, and have a presentable demo for the band.
Sometimes, if I wanna work on a song with the band, starting with a small part, I write it out in notation for the drummer and bassist, and make a leadsheet for the rhythm guitar.
So for all this, I donīt need to write stuff down. Regarding melodies and solos, I either have an idea in mind and work it out by playing over the backing, or I start from 0 ( i.e. if I compose a cool riff or chord progression with no melody yet ) and jam over the backing until I find something nice.
Solos are based on improvising over the track a few times. Sometimes I have a certain idea or structure in mind, but I donīt work it out by writing it down. I simply play it a few times and then see how to go from there.
The sequencer is a wonderful, very useful tool for that, and it works well for me. Itīs been a while since I notated parts out for bandmates.
If I would ever do more transcriptions of my songs, I do it as TAB, as I always put in the original fingerings I use. Especially for the faster parts, those are pretty important and can make a fast part easier. I of course could do it in notation as well, but for guitar TABs, I consider TABs helpful in regard to the fingerings
Take the stretch-pentatonic licks: pentatonics with 3 notes per string, and I often use string skipping with them to avoid note repetitions. So if someone hears one of those and would try to learn them, he might accomplish that goal quicker if he knew theyīre 3NPS pentatonics with string skips.
Hope this answers your question.
Eric

leppard81
10-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks alot for your answer! Quite interesting how everybodyīs got a different approach to things...:-)

ALEX