PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson - Black or white

martin
01-25-2003, 01:57 PM
I was just wondering, the part before the rap on black or white by michael jackson; is that a guitar doing that crazy run, and if so, how do they do it?!?! who's the guitarist on that record?

Martin

EricV
01-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Good question...

Well I think itīs a synth or a sampled guitar.
There was a rumor that Slash was playing on the song... he is not. Heīs on "Give In To Me", from the same record ( "Dangerous" ).
Usually, Michael invites a lot of top studio-cats to play on his records... Steve Lukather, Landau... ( the other guys from Toto were also involved in the production of Jacko-albums... David Paich; Mike, Steve and Jeff Porcaro... )
Iīm not certain, but I donīt think Jennifer Batten played on any of his records, she usually just played guitar for him live
Eric

7_stringa
01-26-2003, 07:51 PM
ahh excsue me vandenberg

u missed the mighty van halen (beat it)

EricV
01-26-2003, 09:19 PM
I didnīt

I was talking about the players who contributed all the rhythm guitar tracks... Eddie Van Halen, Steve Stevens ( "Dirty Diana" ) and Slash ( "Give In To Me" ) just came in to do one solo each.
The guys I mentioned were some of the guys who contributed the rhythm guitars, fills etc.
Eddieīs solo in "Beat It" was great, but I think the riffs in that song were quite important too, and those werenīt played by Eddie.

Eric

7_stringa
01-26-2003, 09:23 PM
sorry man my mistake

thougt you was talking about solos

slay
02-02-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by EricV
Well I think itīs a synth or a sampled guitar.
There was a rumor that Slash was playing on the song... he is not. Heīs on "Give In To Me", from the same record ( "Dangerous" ).

Huh? Slash very much so did Black or White. He even lists it in his Discography on his website.

Michael Jackson

'Dangerous' 1991 USA CD Epic [EK45400]
1991 USA CAS Epic [ET45400]
1991 USA Mini Disc [EM 45400]
1991 USA CD Collector's Edition, in
special box. Epic [EK 48900]
2001 USA CD Special Edition
(Remastered)in special box
with photos and new booklet
Epic [Special]
2001 USA CAS Remastered
Epic [ET 66071]
SLASH on:
'Black or White' and 'Give In To Me'

MetallicTheatre
02-03-2003, 04:35 AM
hey eric cant b rong

is this true ???

MetallicTheatre
02-03-2003, 04:37 AM
slash might have made up the riff???
den ur both right

slay
02-03-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by MetallicTheatre
slash might have made up the riff???
den ur both right

Nope, Slash plays guitar on the track, at least according to his official fansite (snakepit.org). It's from a discography of guest appearences, and it says "Slash on:", meaning he appears on the track. :)

Rollingstone's review mentions Slash plays on "Give In to Me" and plays a "Stones-derived riff on "Black or White"".

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/cd/review.asp?aid=60043&cf=1650

Apparently, according to snakepit.org again, Slash is even in the uncut version of the Black or White video.

EricV
02-03-2003, 12:12 PM
My reply was based on an interview with Slash, from "Guitar For The Practising Musician", April 1992

Quote: "By the way, contrary to popular belief, Iīm not playing on "Black Or White". I did play it live with him on television"- Slash

I remember the video... it started with McAuley Culkin ( sp ? ) playing air guitar in his bedroom. The music he listens to while doing so is some riff-thingy... maybe that was Slash

I donīt know why the song is listed in the discography... I wonder whether he checked it himself.
Eric