PDA

View Full Version : David Lucas Burge Perfect Pitch Supercourse

asanti
08-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, i read a few posts about the David Lucas Burge supercourse so i'm starting this thread about it,

i've been working alone in this 'new thing' so it would be great if some of us who finished the course or have any idea about it, could share some tips or suggestions...

By the way, i'm on masterclass 7 (guitar).

SeattleRuss
08-26-2005, 01:27 AM
By the way, i'm on masterclass 7 (guitar).

How many "masterclasses" are there?

Have you or are you close to achieving perfect pitch?

silent-storm
08-26-2005, 01:38 AM
I suggest going through the history of this forum as this seems to be the only thing we ever talk about in the ear training section

asanti
08-26-2005, 02:19 AM
How many "masterclasses" are there?

Have you or are you close to achieving perfect pitch?

there are 24 masterclasses to do.
Well, not yet, i've been working for almost two months and i still can't see any progress, so it's kind of frustrating for me, but i keep on doing those exercises anyway...
I read some posts from people who actually gain perfect pitch doing this course and it doesn't look like a BIG SCAM, maybe you should try it.

asanti
08-26-2005, 02:25 AM
I suggest going through the history of this forum as this seems to be the only thing we ever talk about in the ear training section

Thanks man, but i already read many posts in this forum and i still have many doubts about this course,
I think there should be like a help forum for people who are working on it. :rolleyes:
I've been working on the exercises but i still can't hear those qualities/colors of the tones, i spent like half an hour every night listening the whole chromatic scale and nothing...

SeattleRuss
08-26-2005, 02:57 AM
I read some posts from people who actually gain perfect pitch doing this course and it doesn't look like a BIG SCAM, maybe you should try it.

Although I find it a bit interesting, it's not something I'm too interested in developing. For me relative pitch is something that I can work on throughout my life, is very useful and I don't have to buy anything.

I'd be interested to see how you progress though, so keep us informed and I wish you the best of luck.

silent-storm
08-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Everything always comes back to relative pitch because it relates everything to a specific function...so what if it's an E, what is that E doing is what matters. Relative pitch is also way easier to practice because you can do it all the time no matter how novice you are.

Perfect pitch is more of an all or nothing thing. The one thing perfect pitch has going for it is that once you learn it you'll never forget it...actually that isn't entirely true. A week after I finally heard G and C properly I went on a drinking binge at a friends cabin and when I came back the only way I can describe it is that everything was a little false...but that passed after a few days.

speaking from experience david lucas burge can work, it just comes down to a rediculas amount of repitition equal to banging your head on a wall for months on end. If you're going to spend the amount of time needed just listening to specific notes you're eventually going to really get inside them and hear them for what they are regardless of what program you use. So don't ever think you will harm yourself if you do things differently then he instructs. Listening is listening and if you are going to carefully listen to a G 1000 times before you hear it correctly (which you will have to do...atleast) listening to it the 'wrong' way a handful of times is not going to affect the end result. He has some good points that he makes in a VERY fruity manner, but just remember that he doesn't know how you learn, so take everything with a grain of salt. If it's important enough to you it will happen.

i had a plan of what i wanted to say at the begining of this post...but that seems to have been lost.

SeattleRuss
08-26-2005, 04:15 PM
i had a plan of what i wanted to say at the begining of this post...but that seems to have been lost.

Hey - that's OK! I call it "being in the moment"....lol

Since bandwidth has become so cheap now, I don't feel too bad about my own "stream o' consciousness" style of writing. :D

asanti
08-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Silent-Storm: you have perfect pitch because of the supercourse??
How much time did it took you to gain it??

silent-storm
08-27-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm not sure what you would define as perfect pitch, so I'm not sure if I actually have it.

If you were to come over to my house and play random notes on my piano I would be able to name them all. If we were to go to a different piano I'd get a few wrong and if you were to play a tuba I wouldn't get any more right then anyone else. It isn't at the point where I can't get it wrong and it isn't at the point where I can consistantly get it right, or even begin to hear it with other instruments. And it is very un-reliable in my head and chords take a while to hear each individual note, which is something I need to start spending more time on.

I haven't worked on it for about 4 months, but it's taken me probably about a year and a half to get this far and a lot of it is from the course, but most of it is from developing my own excersizes after I got about half way through the course, which were adaptations of what the course was doing...but the course definately helped.

hairballxavier
10-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Good relative pitch + tinitus = perfect pitch.

If your ears ring the same note all the time.!)

But seriously, I've known few guys that took the course and it definitely helped them.
None of them ever claimed to have perfect pitch though. I think it's one of those things where you get out of it what you put into it.

AeroZeppelin
11-07-2005, 04:53 PM
I don't really want to take a $130 gamble, but I'd like to see if I like the program.

Anyone know where I could download the first disc?

Heyjoe87
11-17-2005, 01:25 AM
I have all the files on my computer aerozeppelin...but i don't know if emailing you them would be the best choice..

perth
11-26-2005, 08:26 AM
http://www.brainconnection.com/topics/?main=fa/music-education2

apparently, people with perfect pitch have larger corpus callosums than the rest of us. im not much of a doctor, but i'd assume it takes more than a couple months for your head to swell. :)

silent-storm
11-26-2005, 10:01 AM
and to every musty thread,
have resolution,
shut up and go play guitar.

sedonah
06-26-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't really want to take a $130 gamble, but I'd like to see if I like the program.

Anyone know where I could download the first disc?

1) they offer a money back guarantee - but you'll have to send the course back and probably also lose S&H charges. They also have some limitations on the guarantee (such as not opening some of the disks).
2) There are newer programs, which use other ways to teach and offer full money back guarantees (no shipping costs). See the Perfect Pitch (http://www.reviewsnest.com/perfectpitch/index.htm) section at reviewsnest.com for more details.
3) Hope this helps.