PDA

View Full Version : When did you notice a big change?

SostenutO
09-08-2005, 03:41 AM
When did you notice a huge change in your piano skills (from Moderate/Advanced - Very Advanced).

What type of things did you do which you noticed made a huge change in your playing? How can I enhance my soloing? What did you guys do?

Were you ever stuck at a certain skill level? I feel like I'm stuck at my level right now.

Thanks.

silent-storm
09-08-2005, 06:43 AM
don't underestimate the skills you already have...remember that to the untrained person your skills are probably in the incredible range.

Guitar is my main instrument, but I can relate. 99% of the time we are concerned with what we should be learning and where we should be going and how we aren't getting there fast enough. But it's also good to know what it is that you can do right now. If you were sitting down at your piano and a friend or stranger came up to you and just said "play me something," what would you play? You probably wouldn't play something overly difficult that you may obviously screw up on, but you also wouldn't sell yourself short by making it too simple. So, what can you play where it is almost impossible for you to make a mistake?

Judging improvement is difficult. For me it usually comes later down the road when I've been able to do something for a while and when I realize it usually comes out something like "D@MN I can actually deal with this sh*t!!!"...followed with a power fist to the sky...

Maarten
09-08-2005, 01:41 PM
To me, all big changes come from adressing one of my flaws. Right now I've just started a minor in jazz piano and got my first 'real' technique lesson, how to finger scales and stuff. I'm already noticing a very big difference after one day, because there's so much to learn for me on that subject that every little improvement makes a big difference.
Also, because it's coupled with a lot of stuff I could do already (play chords, knowledge of scales etc. etc.) these things can be merged into the big picture immediately.

Spino
09-13-2005, 10:36 PM
You're either getting lazy or... you're just taking a little time-out,....
..tryin to learn ,assimilate ,it get's pretty intense sometimes ,
we put ourselves under stress to learn... and there's a hellofallotofit to get to.
I always think .Well!!!! It's all helluva an honour to be Musician
whether an Amateur or Pro ...and if you don't neglect it...it won't go away!!!
Yeaah Mon!..........:( ;) :) :D

Donal
09-19-2005, 08:36 PM
I have just started learning keys. I play guitar and have done so for many years. I learn't guitar by myself with the help of books etc. Since starting to play the keys I have noticed an improvment in the last few days. This is down to doin an hour practice every day. Its the only way to improve and you can notice results almost straight away. I record every one of my practice sessions to listen out for what I can improve on.

Just keep practicing and you will get better.

Piroteus
11-14-2005, 01:14 PM
I've been playing the piano since I was 8 or so and when I was 13 years I noticed I really got a feeling with it.

I was send to music academy by my mother, who wanted me to try as many things as possible (where I thank her for.) and so I started my piano studies. It didn't went smooth, because I was very young, wanted to do other things then sitting by my piano... but then..there was this feeling like flying away while playing...that kind of feeling, I still have and it's making this all worth...so If you have a bad day, or a bad year...hang on...the result is worth it!

grtz Laurien

ralfsmith
11-25-2005, 07:31 PM
Can you provide me more information on this matter?

johntvery@operamail.com

johntvery@hotmail.com

Piroteus
11-26-2005, 03:25 PM
Can you provide me more information on this matter?

johntvery@operamail.com

johntvery@hotmail.com

what do you mean by that? personal? and what do you want to know about it? And who are u talking to... :p

jellynet
12-23-2005, 07:41 AM
The comment on learning having stress kind of connected with me... (not with music, but a similar idea.) I have been trying to learn the French language for quite some time now. Taking classes in high school, etc. But I never really considred myself to know that much of it. However, there is an audio tape that I was listening to on French and it said to try to take all the pressure off of learning it and just try to say stuff etc. I was really supprised with how many things that I could just think out and then say even though I never memorized the prase.

Music is kind of like that. Just keep practicing, and even though you may not notice much imporvement on a day to day basis. So long as your relaxed and just let it flow in, you should have a day when you are sitting down with a new piece or something and are amazed at how well you can play it.

Julian
01-22-2006, 12:47 AM
time, time, time, time...

Practice every chance you get, because muscle memory is one of the big things for piano. But find something you can't do very well, in terms of exercises mainly, and work on them until you get better at them, this will translate in pieces. Don't dwell on things you already know. Warm up with them then move on. Find new music, new types of music and build from those. I am mainly a vocalist so the practice thing is a little more foggy. You sing in the shower, is that practicing? But I went to school with people who were amazing pianists or violinists. And I was amazed, i was also doing some piano, and was no where near them. But I had only been playing for a year or two, they had been playing for ten, sometimes 12 years. so give it time. it always helps to know how much time i have ahead. i think of how great eric clapton is on guitar and think ive still got time to catch up if i really work hard at it. and if you hit a rough spot, study some theory or something. ive always found that time off gave me time to "grow" sort of speak