PDA

View Full Version : floating hand

snufeldin
01-31-2003, 12:52 AM
Eric,

I was wondering about the floating hand. How do you still must all of the other strings?

EricV
01-31-2003, 01:19 AM
Well,

first of all, the hand is not floating completely at all times. It depends on what I am playing. Fast picking stuff and runs etc.... I float. Legato-stuff etc.... I donīt.
If I am not, I very slightly put my hand on the bridge so I can use it to mute the strings.
The "floating hand" therefore does not mean youīre floating it all the time, itīs mainly meant to be floated for fast picking etc, as an alternative to "anchoring".
Also, I use my left hand A LOT to mute other strings. ( As explained in the old sweeping-thread... using the l.h. fingertips to mute adjacent strings )
Hope this helps
Eric

7_stringa
01-31-2003, 06:55 AM
i dont use my right hand
i just use my left
do you rekon it is that important?(to use both hands)

EricV
01-31-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by 7_stringa
i dont use my right hand
i just use my left
do you rekon it is that important?(to use both hands)

To mute, you mean ?
Yes. Because it enables you to mute even better, at least in my opinion. You can i.e. use your left hand fingers ( the ones that arenīt holding the pick ) to mute the upper strtings youre not playing etc. )
Eric

Shred Fan
01-31-2003, 10:26 PM
Hey Eric, just another question about "floating".

Do you float you're whole arm? I typically have my forearm touching the guitar and my hand floating, only problem this causes is when I go for the E/B strings my hand sort of anchors itself on the lower strings and when I pick faster it tends to create a kinda scratchy noise as my hand is on the strings, while it may mute the strings I figure there may be a better way to float, so just curious for what you think.

Should I just adjust my strap and play higher, put extra focus on having the hand floating always and work on not touching the lower strings or just spend time on floating the whole arm?

I've never worked on whole arm floating but I think I've seen Zakk Wylde do it once, what is your opinion of it?

EricV
02-01-2003, 12:58 PM
Well, part of my forearm is touching the upper edge of the guitar. Iīm moving the right hand from the wrist, and the arm pretty much puts it into the right position ( to pick the strings I wanna pick ) while the motion stays pretty much the same.
Resting that small part of my arm ( everything below that is floating ) gives me some kind of stability. Iīm not leaning on it, itīs just a slight touch.
And I donīt wear my guitar that high ( not as high as Petrucci or Tom Morello )... it works anyway. Zakk wears his guitar extremely low, so that might be a reason why he picks the way he picks.
Floating the whole arm might take away some stability, or cause you to pick from the elbow ( The Vinnie Moore-type picking )... itīs up to you, try it out, maybe it works for you.
Eric

Shred Fan
02-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I don't like the stability I loose by whole arm floating. I guess I just need to work on "not leaning on it, itīs just a slight touch." part, I may be applying to much pressure. Once more, I need to work on the "relaxing" thing.

EricV
02-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Exactly. I used to have that same problem... when I got to the B- and high E-strings, it got more difficult, my hand kinda "locked up" in between and I lost that "flow".
I had to always get back to relaxing the right hand, and I had to figure out how to pick on those strings exactly the way I was picking on the lower strings. Thatīs the important part... the motion should be the same, regardless of what string youīre picking on, or whether youīre picking slow or fast
Eric