PDA

View Full Version : What can i do to improve my ear using my guitar/recording equipment?

scott(ish)
09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
I really want to improve my aural skills , i dont want to buy any fancy computer programmes.

I want to learn all the intervals and other stuff too.

I have recording equipment so is there anything i can do with that that i can train my ears with?

Thanks.

ashc
09-08-2005, 01:46 PM
www.good-ear.com. it's free. There are free downloads elsewhere too.

I've got a lot of benefit out of this.

dusura
09-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Don't "learn your intervals". Something that is more productive is to learn the sound of all notes within the context of a key. Make a bunch of tracks with II V I cadance to establish the key and then play a random note. Then play back your tracks and try to guess the random note in relation to the key e.g. 5, or b7, b2 etc.

Also, singing helps alot. Learn soflege - check out the articles on this website. They are really good.

Some stuff that has helped me alot is Bruce Arnold's ear training stuff at www.muse-eek.com (http://www.muse-eek.com) which is big on the "tonal centre" hearing technique.

Another good thing to do is to try to transcribe without your guitar. One thing I like to do is if I'm watching a movie and it is a bit boring I try to work out the background music. Like - OK there playing 3 5 1 2 (degress of the scale) motif there. Stuff like that.

scott(ish)
09-08-2005, 02:40 PM
That sounds like a good idea , the only thing is , i wont be able to identify the random note i played because i dont really know what a b2 ,7,4 sounds like or anything like that
See , i've played for 3 or 4 years but only now am i starting to train my ear , my ear isnt "bad" it's just not good .

So if i recorded a II V I and played a random note i was just sit there listening to it going :confused:

dusura
09-08-2005, 11:55 PM
That sounds like a good idea , the only thing is , i wont be able to identify the random note i played because i dont really know what a b2 ,7,4 sounds like or anything like that
See , i've played for 3 or 4 years but only now am i starting to train my ear , my ear isnt "bad" it's just not good .

So if i recorded a II V I and played a random note i was just sit there listening to it going :confused:

You will learn in time. I didn't think it was possible either but it is. You just need to practise alot. Bruce Arnold actually recommends just guessing and eventually you start to get it right. If you need some confidence that you can do it make tracks with only two possible notes 1 and 3. Something like that - then maybe introduce other notes later. Don't be discouraged, it is possible - but it requires time and application.

mipper
10-03-2005, 11:03 AM
You can download a free, open source ear trainer at tete.sourceforge.net

It does intervals, chords, and scales.

mipper