PDA

View Full Version : Also... ( Examples for the use of different modes )

Simon3
01-31-2003, 06:17 PM
Also, could you please name some songs where Vai uses:
a)Lydian,
b)Mixolydian,
c)Locrian,
d)Dorian.

Also, any other songs that include these (eg- perhaps some Satriani, etc) would be much appreciated :-)

Si.

The Mechanix
02-01-2003, 12:08 AM
The Crying Game from Fire Garden uses the Lydian mode...

For the Dorian mode, (I know this isn't steve vai), off the top of my head, Skin 'o my teeth and High speed dirt from Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction.

Rock on

EricV
02-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Dorian: "The Animal" ( the main guitar solo uses both the D minor pentatonic scale and the D Dorian scale )
As for other artists, the dorian scale is not uncommon in latin music, so maybe you wanna check out some older Santana-recordings...

Lydian: One of the best examples of a lydian sound in a Vai-song would be "The Answer"... the song´s full of that sound. Also, "For The Love Of God" has some of the lydian sound.
"The Riddle" has a bunch of licks employing lydian and altered lydian scales.

Mixolydian: Vai: "Still My Bleeding Heart" has a great mixolydian sound in the solo.
When it comes to other artists, one quite popular example of a cool mixolydian sound would be "Freeway Jam" by Jeff Beck. Or "Summer Song" by Satriani.

Cant think of an example by Vai using the locrian scale. A popular song using that mode would be ( as mentioned in another thread ) "Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica...

Hope this helps
Eric

PS: The title of this thread has been slightly edited, so people kinda know what it is about. "Also..." is not really telling a lot about the content... :) )

Simon3
02-01-2003, 01:14 PM
Cool. Thanks :)
Have any of you got any other songs where other scales are employed? (eg- ionian, harmonic minor, etc.)
Also, does anyone have any more songs by artists that use the modes mentioned at the beginning of this thread. (eg- my knowledge about the use of locrian is pretty limited, but I heard that Satriani and Vai use it....)